PM wants action against rogue jet-ski operators

Lite Beer

Since the scam has been going on for many years, it's almost impossible to believe the police is not in it.

A settlement room is a very bad idea, because it will only make the scams easier.

The scam has reached such a level that even many Thai embassies have folders to warn against hiring jet-skies.

The jet-skis should have insurance and the insurance should cover all damage in all cases.

It's as simple as that. I don't see the problem.

PS. For me the top priority the general should address is the traffic - much more people die in the traffic than in the South. I can live without hiring jet-skies, but I can't live if a 20 ton tuck crashes into my car or motorcycle. The number of traffic deaths in Thailand is the second highest in the world.

Yes we are all aware of this, now pray tell us how to stop this carnage with an actual plan that will work.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pattaya police have set guidelines relating to the issue including establishing a settlement room"

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Yes that way the extortion can be conducted in private away from witnesses where they will not tarnish Thailand's reputation.

From what i was told by a friend who got scammed for this in Pattaya. He called the tourist police and they demanded he pay as well. It seems to me that any law Prayuth makes is irrelevant as long as the police support the people they will get a percentage from.

My friend had said they accused him of scratching the bottom of the jet ski and the scratch already had algae in it yet the police forced him to pay 30000 baht out of which the police got 10000. At no time did the police want to hear his side and was threatened to have his passport taken if he didnt pay...

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is the normalcy in Thailand. Everything works like that allover.

This means the corruption is reaching the mellow of every individual in the society.

It's impossible to heal this in weeks or months. Not even years . It takes generations.

Everywhere Corruption has always been healed in democracy, not in dictatorships.

Look at South Korea, during the military governments it was one of the world's most corrupt countries, look at Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia instead where they are.

Prayuth might temporarely halt the problem by keeping the people terrorized, but these people haven;t changed, they are just scared and they are ready to start again with the corruption and illegality once the military will stand back.

The change starts from the education, from the culture, the best environment to start to heal the corruption is a fair, free and democratic society, where people can enjoy living in a fair society. Look at Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Finland, New Zealand, all the world's least corrupt countries are very open democracies.

Saying that, I am afraid this crackdown is short lived, it can't last.

Don't trust any statitics, caused every system having advantages and disadvantages,

caused of the ppl who missuse it.

Did you ever been in Norway the last 5 years?

I don't talking about corruption, but about democracy.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

The zone idea is a good one. Require the operators to absorb all costs of any damage how ever caused by mandatory insurance which will be included in the rental fee and mandatory pricing signs strictly enforced. Cheaper, easier, safer and more comprehensive . Include a mandatory insurance for personal injury as well to cover rider and third parties. If it drives the jet ski people out of business then good riddance!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

For driving a jet ski, it is also a driving license required.

99% of all Jet Ski drivers have no driving license.
They jet- ski- lenders do not care about this.
This is simply illegal.

A drivers licence for driving a jet-ski?

... or do you mean a special licence for riding a jet ski?

I don't think there is any legal issues requiring either of these.

Edited by tropo

This is simply illegal.

As in most places a jet ski is considered a powered boat. These can only be driven by a person who has the appropriate marine licence.

So...has the ACTION taken place or have dozens more been ripped off and scared to death? How many times have we been lied to about the jet ski Mafia in the last 10 years. At least once a day. That's over 3650 lies.

Shame on Thailand for treating its guests like this.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Maybe the PM simply needs to watch this.... to see how it works.... and then do something about it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPuoaktoAw

Edit: And this.. cheesy.gif is hilarious : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfiiVTE1Tw whistling.gif

Caring jet-ski operator... my anus.

Who is the guy covering the story.in the second video..................is he so well paid and under so much threat from who? that he narrates this absolute bullshit and is able not to choke on his own words?...............................let me think he works for the tourist police? and used to represent a European government in Pattaya?

To the moderators of this forum.....you contacted the immigration officers in Bkk and had a dialogue and clarification of visa rules, on behalf of your readers and well done to you a great service.

So since your website carries some considerable weight as a voice of expats and tourists a like, could you not contact the tourist police on behalf of your readers and ask for their official explanation why they have been forced to not help tourists for many years and what their new policy will be if any now the problem has the interest of the PM.

This is simply illegal.

As in most places a jet ski is considered a powered boat. These can only be driven by a person who has the appropriate marine licence.

I doubt that is most places. Certainly not here.

This is simply illegal.

I doubt that is most places. Certainly not here.

It is true here just go to the marine department. In pattaya and Phuket for some reason say a drivers or motorcycle licence but that does not cover the Marine Department. The jetskis are supposed to be registered with the Marine Department too.

Reasons they are not.....paper with pictures?