PM wants action against rogue jet-ski operators

Lite Beer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the General's evening speech will contain once all of the issues reported here by Thai Visa members are already addressed?

You do understand there is a difference between addressing (by that I presume you mean actually do something about a "problem") and talking about it on a weekly TV show. You may notice that prayuth "urged the relevant authorities to deal with the problem" so expect business as usual.

I wonder what next weeks "Returning happiness to the people's" populist investigation/crackdown is going to be? coffee1.gif

the police have security cameras in the areas where these scams happen, but they arent aimed at where the scams take place, and tourist police arent allowed to get involved, its obvious why, but we can no longer post the reason on this site

I wonder what the General's evening speech will contain once all of the issues reported here by Thai Visa members are already addressed?

Interesting comment. I have noticed on many occasions some accent flavoured remarks on certain things on Thai Visa. I have long had my suspicions. It would explain the sudden ability to think.

• Like 1

"Pattaya police have set guidelines relating to the issue including establishing a settlement room"

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

"He urged relevant authorities to deal with the problem at seaside resorts such as Pattaya and Phuket."

Relevant authorities (dirty cops) are the ones in cahoots with the mafia jet ski dirtbag scammers, and in large part are running the scams.

You do understand there is a difference between addressing (by that I presume you mean actually do something about a "problem") and talking about it on a weekly TV show. You may notice that prayuth "urged the relevant authorities to deal with the problem" so expect business as usual.

I wonder what next weeks "Returning happiness to the people's" populist investigation/crackdown is going to be? coffee1.gif

It does seem that General Prayuth has had a positive influence. Posted Today, 06:30 Fearing military, Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin.

PATTAYA: Officials are racing to clean up Pattaya’s beaches and vice spots to try to shake off the “sin city” tag and prevent the military stepping in as they have done in Phuket and Hua Hin.

Already the General is looking very tired. I don't know of any country whose Prime Minister would have the time or inclination to get involved with the task of controlling all the crooks and scams. Or is it a case of any publicity is good publicity? I would suggest a management course in the art of delegation might be appropriate. Trying to control every thing on his own is going to leave the General a little tired and frustrated to say the least, even if, as he stated "He is ready to be tired" The solution is to delegate and not abdicate. Unless of course you have no faith or trust in the people who work for you.Then you really have a problem.wai.gif

My apologies. I responded to your post in my 1st line and then added some for myself instead of starting a new post.

No offence intended and will edit my post.

Why the obsequious kowtowing to Lom?

Just manners and trying to be friendly. This is a forum and people should try and be nice to each other. We all have differences of opinion and I was always taught if you offend someone then say sorry.

Lom is probably a very nice person.

• Like 1

The best thing to do would be to ban the horrible machines from Thailand. I am sure that there are few tourists who come to Thailand only to ride jet skis. The cruds that rent them out pay no tax but do pay bribes to police. A total ban would be much easier to enforce that checking all machines are properly registered and insured and operated safely. The frequent scams and accidents would be avoided and the beaches would be freed from their horrible noise as well as the hoods that operate the businesses. Win win situation. No loss of tax revenue. Do it.

"Pattaya police have set guidelines relating to the issue including establishing a settlement room"

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Why? I saw on a YouTube the efficiency of the police settling a jet ski incident. He negotiated from 30,000 baht to 10,000 baht right there at the beach. Of course, one YouTube video showing the operator with a gun was not open to negotiation.

Why do Pattaya Police continue think that the old way will be accepted by the NCPO, that being their 'guidelines' settlement room , fair negotiations,etc

All the above is crap, they know 99% of the cases should not be in any room negotiating anything, as the corrupt Thai is lying, we all know that ,do they think the Army's going to fall for that.

How thick are they, the new rules will be given by the NCPO and they will be ordered to follow or lose your job, quite simple really.

I think they are trying to say, well look at what weve been doing and is'nt it enough, hoping the Army will say , yea ok carry on .

HAAAAAAAAAA HA HA.

• Like 1

DrLom, on 31 Aug 2014 - 07:40, said:

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

In other words, a sound proof room with no CCTV coverage or windows, away from prying eyes. stationary limited to brown envelopes.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Yes that way the extortion can be conducted in private away from witnesses where they will not tarnish Thailand's reputation.

From what i was told by a friend who got scammed for this in Pattaya. He called the tourist police and they demanded he pay as well. It seems to me that any law Prayuth makes is irrelevant as long as the police support the people they will get a percentage from.

My friend had said they accused him of scratching the bottom of the jet ski and the scratch already had algae in it yet the police forced him to pay 30000 baht out of which the police got 10000. At no time did the police want to hear his side and was threatened to have his passport taken if he didnt pay...

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is the normalcy in Thailand. Everything works like that allover.

This means the corruption is reaching the mellow of every individual in the society.

It's impossible to heal this in weeks or months. Not even years . It takes generations.

Everywhere Corruption has always been healed in democracy, not in dictatorships.

Look at South Korea, during the military governments it was one of the world's most corrupt countries, look at Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia instead where they are.

Prayuth might temporarely halt the problem by keeping the people terrorized, but these people haven;t changed, they are just scared and they are ready to start again with the corruption and illegality once the military will stand back.

The change starts from the education, from the culture, the best environment to start to heal the corruption is a fair, free and democratic society, where people can enjoy living in a fair society. Look at Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Finland, New Zealand, all the world's least corrupt countries are very open democracies.

Saying that, I am afraid this crackdown is short lived, it can't last.

Edited by max72

Surely this isn't the Prime Ministers work with bigger issues at hand if the good general is going to intervene in all these minor issues of Visas, Prostitution, Alcohol and Jet Skies I fear the bigger issues will go unattended Road deaths, Murder and to follow all that's already been done Unemployment and with that comes crime.

A good way of stopping this rort is actually to make it mandatory for all jetski operators to add an insurance fee onto all tourists agreed hire charges.This way with the amount of conflicts and disagreements taking place I'm pretty sure that the insurance company provider will be watching (and taking photo's)of 'before after' resolution conflicts!Just a thought but has anyone else come up with a better idea yet to stamp out this never ending scam?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

This forum should be renamed grumblingpensionerswithnolives.com

The man in charge of Thailand has specifically stated that he will deal with the jetski scam, an issue that has been posted about thousands of times here on tv.com.

And yet, for many this isn't enough. What do you want? A personal phone call or visit from the General?

Nothing, nothing, NOTHING is good enough for you miserable b********s. I would never use a jet ski and dislike them on the beaches, but the corruption and intimidation associated with them is a real problem. Well done Thailand for beginning to take action.

A good way of stopping this rort is actually to make it mandatory for all jetski operators to add an insurance fee onto all tourists agreed hire charges.This way with the amount of conflicts and disagreements taking place I'm pretty sure that the insurance company provider will be watching (and taking photo's)of 'before after' resolution conflicts!Just a thought but has anyone else come up with a better idea yet to stamp out this never ending scam?

Put the onus on the jetski operators to prove damages, with time-stamped photos of the machine lifted out of the water prior to the start of the hire.

Failure to take such photos cancels any legal right that the operator might have to pursue damages.

Have a special hotline with English-speaking operators that people can call to complain about jetski intimidation, and publicize the number at all the major beaches. Prosecute jetski operators (and any police in collusion) who continue to drag Thailand's reputation through the mud.

This forum should be renamed grumblingpensionerswithnolives.com

The man in charge of Thailand has specifically stated that he will deal with the jetski scam, an issue that has been posted about thousands of times here on tv.com.

And yet, for many this isn't enough. What do you want? A personal phone call or visit from the General?

Nothing, nothing, NOTHING is good enough for you miserable b********s. I would never use a jet ski and dislike them on the beaches, but the corruption and intimidation associated with them is a real problem. Well done Thailand for beginning to take action.

Take it easy. You sound like your upset. Don't take things so seriously.Find a dark room and lie down for a bit. This is Thailand after all.smile.png

• Like 1

Surely this isn't the Prime Ministers work with bigger issues at hand if the good general is going to intervene in all these minor issues of Visas, Prostitution, Alcohol and Jet Skies I fear the bigger issues will go unattended Road deaths, Murder and to follow all that's already been done Unemployment and with that comes crime.

Well, the PM can't win no matter what he tries to do, at least not according to most on this forum.

Since the General is trying to improve Thailand's economy, making tourists happy is actually an important issue for him. Murder, unemployment and crime are major problems in every country in the world, although a strong economy can help reduce these issues. Funnily enough, a strong economy is exactly what he is striving to achieve.

Take it easy. You sound like your upset. Don't take things so seriously.Find a dark room and lie down for a bit. This is Thailand after all.smile.png

Not upset, just drunk! This is Thailand after all! :)

I feel like I'm watching a spoiled child at Xmas. He opens his present to find a PlayStation instead of an Xbox. Instead of smiling, the little brat starts screaming and shouting, and storms off to his room. Similar to a TV poster who, when they are finally given what they have been whining about for months, turns round and starts complaining that the proposed solution is not 100% perfect in their eyes.

Thai people respond really well to thank-yous and gratitude, in my experience. Let's give them some for a change.