'Universal design' concept would help access for disabled, seminar told

Lite Beer

'Universal design' concept would help access for disabled, seminar told
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Participants at a recent seminar proposed the concept of "universal design" in a move to narrow the disparities suffered by the disabled, the elderly and the underprivileged.

Torpong Selanon, president of the Thai Association for the Blind, said this concept should reduce obstacles and create new opportunities for the disabled, the aged and the underprivileged, so everybody could be equal. He said the five basic obstacles that need to be addressed are:

1 Spatial problems;

2 The definition of disability, which should go beyond just physical disabilities to include the inability to interact with one's surroundings;

3 Economic factors;

4 Lack of basic knowledge; and

5 Stereotyping and social discrimination.

Explaining how the design of general facilities affects people with disabilities, Torpong said this disparity also stems from the use of economic factors as the main indicator - hence services that cater to the majority are given more attention.

Since Thailand is fast becoming an ageing society, the authorities should start considering all groups in society, he said.

"Why don't Skytrain stations have an escalator that is safe for those with disabilities?" he asked.

National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre director Pansak Siriruchatapong, meanwhile, said everybody, especially the disabled, should develop technology skills to widen their benefits.

Somchai Charoen-amnuay, director of the Office of Women’s Affairs and Family Development, suggested that public services should be designed in such a way that people with disabilities can access them with ease and dignity.

Amornwit Nakonthap, an academic adviser for Quality Learning Foundation, said he wants the authorities to also consider people with learning disabilities, such as autistic children. He said ways should be found to give the million or so youngsters with learning disabilities easy access to information technology, which will help boost their education. He also said studies showed that children with learning disabilities develop quickly when using computers.

These comments were made at a seminar held in Nonthaburi a week ago to discuss ideas about setting out technology and infrastructure guidelines that cater to the disabled, the elderly and the underprivileged. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) and Thammasat University's Research and Consultancy Institute (TU-RAC) hosted the forum.

According to a National Statistics Office report, of the 63.3 million Thai people, 22.2 million (35 per cent) are computer "savvy"; 18.3 million (29 per cent) surf the Internet; and 46 million (73 per cent) used smartphones. There had been clear growth compared to the last report that listed just 17.9 million computer users, 12.3 million Internet users and 34.8 million mobile phone users.

However, the gap in people having easy access to the Internet is still quite wide, as most users come from the high-income or educated class and mostly live in cities, the seminar was told.

Despite public projects to provide low-cost tools to promote access to technology for the underprivileged, like the previous government's "One Tablet Per Child" scheme, the policy to implement schemes "in the same manner in all areas" has led to a lack of participation. Also, Internet providers focus more on serving middle-income and high-income groups, avoiding low-income groups as they are deemed unprofitable, the seminar was told.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Universal-design-concept-would-help-access-for-dis-30242168.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-31

"2 The definition of disability, which should go beyond just physical disabilities to include the inability to interact with one's surroundings;"

ABOUT TIME Thailand recognised that mental disabilities exist in this country! wai.gif

(and I refer to the establishment of psychiatric homes, care homes for the elderly and needy who've lost the plot - like me whistling.gif ).

"4 Lack of basic knowledge;"

Difficult one that.. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Edited by DrLom

What is the point when disabled people in wheelchairs or other means of getting around have a beautiful toilet block In a large department store and on the street there is no parking , no ramp up, no disabled car space or if there is a night market is sitting in them or a couple of taxis, there's no lifts and look at the foot paths a total disgrace, how the disabled get about in Thailand remains a mystery, to bring universal concept to fruition you would need to completely redesign BKK for a start and educate the population, then move out to the country Chiang Mai etc.. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I thought the term "Disabled" was no longer politically correct and was offensive.

It is a little more PC to refer to people with disabilities as that not disabled as that puts the emphasis on people. It is not generally considered offensive. Crippled is though. what is not really acceptible is to say things like....The blind...... or The lame....

The general idea is that the emphasis should be placed on the person and particuarly his capabilites. Most people are sensible and do not really mind you saying a place has a disabled toilet although it is better to say that a place has a toilet accessible to people with disabilities.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

What is the point when disabled people in wheelchairs or other means of getting around have a beautiful toilet block In a large department store and on the street there is no parking , no ramp up, no disabled car space or if there is a night market is sitting in them or a couple of taxis, there's no lifts and look at the foot paths a total disgrace, how the disabled get about in Thailand remains a mystery, to bring universal concept to fruition you would need to completely redesign BKK for a start and educate the population, then move out to the country Chiang Mai etc.. coffee1.gif

Agreed. Thailand need only look at Singapore and their approach in regards to access for those those in need.

The parking bays for handicapped drivers at my local Lotus and correctly placed nearest the main entrance and are always full.

Have only ever seen one handicapped driver actually get in there though.

I am at present, temporarily I hope, limited in the distance I can walk.

Obviously in Bagkok there are certain areas that are no go zones, but on the plus side it is easy to get a taxi to the front of the house, my wife flags one down at the top of the soi.

We went to Seacon the other day to deal with some essential business and shopping. I knew Seacon had wheel chairs available, hence the choice, another plus.

I must admit it was frustrating being pushed around by my wife, but she went everywhere I asked her, easy with lifts and plenty of room everywhere to be wheeled around, another plus.

Usually I go my way and my wife hers when shopping and the phone provides the means to locate each other, so that was a downside.

The best plus was the exceptional service I received.Normally I must admit to being impatient in queiung situations, but not in a wheel chair!, Instant service

No,I did not enjoy the experience and hope I am more mobile soon, but it could have been worse. Could I afford a taxi elsewhere? Certainly not in the UK.

Perhaps this only applies to where I live, but am glad I live here!