American's Visa Run To Laos

I am a US citizen and this is about my visa run to Laos.

I am only 49yrs old so I am doing the tourist visa until i can get the non O this November.

I chose to fly thai airways to Udon Thani , $ 78 US for my Thai girlfriend and I. I should say bring those extra pictures with that you get from immigration you can use one at the Laos border. Udon Thani Airport , before you go outside there is a ticket booth to your right for your Vip van ride to the Freedom bridge , 200 baht per person. the van drops you off at Thai immigration, After passing through thai immigration get on the RED bus ,15 baht per person and ride over bridge to Laos immigration.

Now go to window 1 and get your Visa application form and entry and departure Card. Fill them out

Give forms , Passport , 1 picture and $35 US dollars to agent. They really like US Money !!!

Step 5 feet to your right and wait for visa.

Now you have visa , clear Laos immigration and look for ride to hotel. I got a ride in van for 200 baht for the both of us.

I read that it is a very good idea to bring someone who speaks Thai with you. I would strongly agree, it just makes it so much easier.

I hope this helps someone out there, There is a lot of bad info and the visa agents in Nong Khai are making good money because of it.

REMEMBER : YOU CAN GET YOUR TOURIST VISA AT THE LAOS BORDER : you do not need an agent in Nong Khai to help you.

Thai visa Application , pictures and copies can be done at Thai consulate. I just recomend have your paper work already before you leave for Laos. They are a little picky about pictures so you may want to get those taken there.

Thanks Todd

I am American as well and have done this a few times. Your post expertly outlines how simple this is......so why is it important to bring a Thai speaker? How did your GF help make this process so much easier?

And just a side note....not everyone can get a Visa on arrival for Laos.

Edited by inbangkok

I read that it is a very good idea to bring someone who speaks Thai with you ... I'll presume OP meant a Thai speaker who also speaks English.

LOL....I got that. But why? I was wondering how she assisted him and made the process so much easier?

REMEMBER : YOU CAN GET YOUR TOURIST VISA AT THE LAOS BORDER : you do not need an agent in Nong Khai to help you.

I see that you have 1 post and willing to contribute, thanks for that, but truly you are not breaking the news here.
  • Like 1

I decided to post this after talking to a few american's in Vientiane, they were going to the border for Laos visa and were talked into going with a broker. I have spent many hours reading on the internet and there is a lot of little pieces of info left out. just trying to be helpful.

And for the Thai speaker, I should of said bring your Thai girl friend with, Many good reasons for that . I watched my girl talk a Tuk Tuk driver from 250 to 100 baht . Found a really good place to eat also.

I am American so I am curious on what American's can not get a Laos visa at the border ?

Just read the TOURIST VISA PAGE last updated November 2010 Read it closely, 30 day tourist visa , this post make you think you need a tourist visa for a 30 day vacation in thailand.

Not sure which page are you talking about but your own trip report thread does not seem the right place to complain about it.

I decided to post this after talking to a few american's in Vientiane, they were going to the border for Laos visa and were talked into going with a broker. I have spent many hours reading on the internet and there is a lot of little pieces of info left out. just trying to be helpful.

And for the Thai speaker, I should of said bring your Thai girl friend with, Many good reasons for that . I watched my girl talk a Tuk Tuk driver from 250 to 100 baht . Found a really good place to eat also.

I am American so I am curious on what American's can not get a Laos visa at the border ?

If you are referring to my comment about not everyone being able to get a visa on arrival....I was not talking about "certain"Americans. I was talking about certain nationalities. Not all passports are the same. Not all nationalities can get a Visa on arrival.....Americans can though.