Why do you live where you live in Thailand?

Cuppa

I live in Phuket, and have done for four years, where we stay is on the outskirts of a nice family beach resort, I was born by the Sea and wherever I go, I normally, end up by the sea, Our Condo has a lovely sea view, which we waken up to each day..

10 mins walk to bars, restaurants and shops... But I do have a scooter and a car, to get around.

For me personally Phuket and Thailand has it all, I have an excellent quality of life, which I would have nowhere else, have a good social life with Locals and fellow Farangs, not interested in the Bar scene etc etc, not my thing never has been..

My only negativity in Thailand is the driving, it is dangerous to say the least, but hopefully that will improve, with all that is going on..., with improvements.....

Phuket is not for everyone, which I understand, but we are all different and it works for me, I have been around Thailand and most places I have visited is not for me.....but that's Me....

Different strokes for different folks....

Wherever you decide, enjoy as life is short, and we never know what's around the corner.......

Cheers

I too live in Phuket, settled here with my wife 16 years ago, when it was largely a green and pleasant island. Since then much has changed, and the island is rqapidly getting concreted over. It is still a convenient place to live - we are in a gated village about 8 km out of Phuket town. Nearly all Thai - just a couple of other farangs. Convenient for shopping - all the supermarkets and department stores are withing 15 minutes drive (or will be when they finish digging up the bypass road). easy access to beaches and what is left of country. Not interested in bars or parties, just a quiet life.

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Chiang Rai because I can stand in the front yard and look at this. (Taken yesterday)

niceday%2B%2B002.jpg

VF, your post reminds me of something I've said and thought a thousand times. The cloud formations in northern Thailand are a photographer's dream! Prior to my stroke last October, I traveled at least once a month for 3-5 days throughout northern and north eastern Thailand on my CBR, and one of the things I have consistently noticed are the cloud formations. Sometimes they can make you feel as if you are in a different world, and the cares of this world don't matter. I love it here.

I agree, the clouds are amazing.

Reflection%2B%2B001%2B%281%29.jpg

We live in Panyar Resort Shi Racha Chonburi. For your info about 35 min drive from Phattaya. We are 2 mins drive from the sea and each one rai has a water way so you can row or fish if you are that inclinded. The cost here is 5 to 6 million per rai. Mainly Drs, crooks, lawyers and other hi so live here in the weekend they seem to work work in Bangkok and come here for the peach and quite and the nature on the weekend. There are one or 2 for rent if you are lucky to find them but we have just moved into our new home here in the last 2 months and love it. It reminds me of New Zealand. Plenty of good hospitals and Central shopping and such like with in 10 mins drive.

I live in Chiang Rai because I can stand in the front yard and look at this. (Taken yesterday)

niceday%2B%2B002.jpg

VF, your post reminds me of something I've said and thought a thousand times. The cloud formations in northern Thailand are a photographer's dream! Prior to my stroke last October, I traveled at least once a month for 3-5 days throughout northern and north eastern Thailand on my CBR, and one of the things I have consistently noticed are the cloud formations. Sometimes they can make you feel as if you are in a different world, and the cares of this world don't matter. I love it here.

Great photo !!!! Take a photo in February and show also

Uthai Thani in central Thailand at the nearest town to the wife's hometown village.

The wife gave up her career in Bangkok for health reasons and the more leisurely pace of running her own business in a small province have seen improved results this year.

We chose a nearby town for larger customer base and more facilities than the village.

• Like 1

niceday%2B%2B002.jpg

Great photo !!!! Take a photo in February and show also

Yes part of the year it looks like this but no place looks perfect all year round.

Smog%2B%2B001.jpg

• Like 1

I've been living in Hua Hin for ten years. We looked all over Thailand including most of the places listed above and was tempted by Nong Kai, but I like the ocean so we settled in Hua Hin. Then (2003) it was the perfect mix of a quiet fishing village that was a family holiday destination for Thais and just enough civilization, conveniences, and foreigners to make it very liveable. Another consideration was the short drive to Bangkok in case anything was needed that was not available in Hua Hin. Well 10 years on it's a completely different place. Building has gone on faster than anywhere I've ever seen before, traffic is like Bangkok some days, there's no place to park and it has become a very popular tourist destination for Europeans. All of that has caused the cost of living here to rise by at least 50%, so it's not the great place we moved to any longer, but other than going back to the U.S. I can't see moving anywhere else.

To answer your question one would also need to know if you are working or retired, if working what kind of work and if your wife is Thai or also foreign.

Several folk have asked if my wife is Thai. No we are both of English origin but have lived in Australia for getting close to 3 decades.

We would not be working in Thailand.

Hope this assists other’s to offer something to this thread.

Cuppa

In this case I would advise to take a look at the Ban Amphur - Ban Saree area (Najomtien / Sattahip) 15 - 20 Km south of Pattaya. Many retired expats there and options for social contacts with like minded people.

Before settling you should take a look at several areas, there are more places like this, in the vicinity of Huahin, Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc.

• Like 1

If I wanted to live amongst a bunch of farangs I would go back to Florida.

I live in Aonang - I know a handful of expats, I rarely go out (ain't many places I'd want to in Aonang).

The other night I accompanied a friend to some bar where she knew someone playing music. It was full of the ole expat crowd and the wives/girlfriends set.

I would find it hard to choose between going back there again, or getting Bowel surgery.

And some other English dude, closer to my own age (36) starts up - 'so havin a nice holiday?', i reply: "lived here for years", "years? where do you live mate, never seen you before, blah blah"

"Well i lived here for 5 years, but i don't go out much".

So hard to believe?

I live in Phuket, and have done for four years, where we stay is on the outskirts of a nice family beach resort, I was born by the Sea and wherever I go, I normally, end up by the sea, Our Condo has a lovely sea view, which we waken up to each day..

10 mins walk to bars, restaurants and shops... But I do have a scooter and a car, to get around.

For me personally Phuket and Thailand has it all, I have an excellent quality of life, which I would have nowhere else, have a good social life with Locals and fellow Farangs, not interested in the Bar scene etc etc, not my thing never has been..

My only negativity in Thailand is the driving, it is dangerous to say the least, but hopefully that will improve, with all that is going on..., with improvements.....

Phuket is not for everyone, which I understand, but we are all different and it works for me, I have been around Thailand and most places I have visited is not for me.....but that's Me....

Wherever you decide, enjoy as life is short, and we never know what's around the corner.......

Cheers

Someone asked why no one has mentioned negatives , so here is my negatives on Phuket.

Traffic in high season , can be bad..

High season in general lots of tourists - saying that I do live near a tourist town, so it's to be expects.

And Thailand as a whole, Driving standards are extremely bad and dangerous....

That's all...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers

Someone asked why no one has mentioned negatives , so here is my negatives on Phuket.

High season in general lots of tourists - saying that I do live near a tourist town, so it's to be expects.

That's all...

Yes you are right! My advice is not to buy a car or motorbike as the roads are extremely dangerous all over Thailand.You might be the best bike rider or driver in the world but that won't help you on these roads! I like to walk nearly everywhere and it's good for you too in this fabulous outdoor lifestyle.But i would recommend to find accommodation that is at least a 30 minute walk to the nearest train station! ( a great way for going on adventures ) F.J

Chiang Mai, because I like looking at lush green mountains every day. Waterfalls, lots of flora, feels more open, unlike BKK. Prices are cheaper, lots of shopping, convenient airport, lots of hospitals, great food choices and nice, friendly people. Only drawbacks are the months they burn the fields and the amount of traffic on the road compared to 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai = Too much smog, air pollution.

Chiang Rai = Same problem.

Bangkok = Expensive, noisy, crime, traffic.

Issan Anywhere = Flooding, drought, extreme ignorance, greed, malfeasance, etc.

Pattaya = Sin City, high crime, drugs, gangs.

Ayuttaya = Extreme flooding, infrastructure crumbling, traffic.

Hua Hin/Cha Am = Overrated, expensive, crappy beaches.

Phuket = 1 nice beach; Nai Harn. Expensive, crime, corruption aplenty, traffic, some flooding.

Koh Samui = Isolated, expensive, crime, power failures, traffic. Nice beaches.

The far South = Muslims, bombings, murders, nice beaches, scenic at times, flooding.

Minburi/Airport area = Flooding, severe mosquito problem, swampy, traffic, expensive.

Nawamin Area = TRAFFIC, poor infrastructure, expensive, some flooding.

Rangsit area = Horrible traffic, crime, taxi ripoff, many students, cheap and expensive housing, generally smells bad.

Nakoh Sawan area = Cheaper, too far from bkk, nothing special.

Suphanburi Proper = Extreme mosquitos, seasonal flooding in main town and low areas, good roads, close to everything, can be expensive.

Don Chedi = Some flooding, mosquito problem, no major stores nearby, generally ignorant indigenous people, greedy, etc.

Kanchanburi = some flooding in low areas, has large dam that may soon collapse, many tourists, has nice mountain areas, immigration office is unfriendly, etc.

Come on now, all these overly positive vibes!!

Surely you have something bad to say about the place. facepalm.gif

• Like 2

I live in Pakkret about 25 kilometres from Bangkok. The village is quiet and has a few Foreigners, but there are many I see from other villages close by. My neighbours are middle class Thai's many of whom speak English. I have access to every amenity anyone could wish for, 4 Hospitals within a 5 - 20 minute drive shopping Malls and local Markets and good schools. I drive so do not have an issue with commuting but there are a variety of local transport options available.

Chiang Mai = Too much smog, air pollution.

Chiang Rai = Same problem.

Bangkok = Expensive, noisy, crime, traffic.

Issan Anywhere = Flooding, drought, extreme ignorance, greed, malfeasance, etc.

Pattaya = Sin City, high crime, drugs, gangs.

Ayuttaya = Extreme flooding, infrastructure crumbling, traffic.

Hua Hin/Cha Am = Overrated, expensive, crappy beaches.

Phuket = 1 nice beach; Nai Harn. Expensive, crime, corruption aplenty, traffic, some flooding.

Koh Samui = Isolated, expensive, crime, power failures, traffic. Nice beaches.

The far South = Muslims, bombings, murders, nice beaches, scenic at times, flooding.

Minburi/Airport area = Flooding, severe mosquito problem, swampy, traffic, expensive.

Nawamin Area = TRAFFIC, poor infrastructure, expensive, some flooding.

Rangsit area = Horrible traffic, crime, taxi ripoff, many students, cheap and expensive housing, generally smells bad.

Nakoh Sawan area = Cheaper, too far from bkk, nothing special.

Suphanburi Proper = Extreme mosquitos, seasonal flooding in main town and low areas, good roads, close to everything, can be expensive.

Don Chedi = Some flooding, mosquito problem, no major stores nearby, generally ignorant indigenous people, greedy, etc.

Kanchanburi = some flooding in low areas, has large dam that may soon collapse, many tourists, has nice mountain areas, immigration office is unfriendly, etc.

^ Reasonably fair and concise assessment.

• Like 2

Some posters posted some photos of clouds and views in their respective areas. Here are a couple sunset and one sunrise photo taken a few days ago from my home in Kaeng Krachan. It is enjoyable sitting out by the swimming pool watching the sunsets and taking the occasional photo.

post-5640-0-46945200-1409544307_thumb.jp

post-5640-0-77839200-1409544335_thumb.jp

post-5640-0-66813600-1409544380_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sincerely and honest, hand on heart, how many of us living in LOS really enjoy sitting in the middle of nowhere, no real mates, no farangs around to shoot the breeze ,,,, please be honest with yourself.

The internet,TV , Youtube vids & 6 bottles of LEO aren't a way of life

Are you there because you have to be? ,,,,

• Like 2

Bangkok, no way to anywhere else in Thailand.

I am a City Boy since birth, concrete running in my veins.

With exception of a newly established artist community, I can't stand the closed-minded mentality of rural people. Rural folks are nice to you while you are guest, but once you graduate from being a guest, you are sadly low on their pecking order because you didn't grow up there. I see talented people in rural areas who are never allowed to be who they could be because the small town mentality won't let grow beyond the label they were given as kids.

A small town is only good if don't like to particularly socialize with people and the majority of your entertainment is TV or other at home activities.

For those who wish to defend the rural area where they grew up: You're not there now, are you? That's cuz good folks leave those areas.

Bangkok isn't the cosmopolitan city I had expected/hoped it to be (the music scene is particularly disappointing) but it's good enough for me. And at the risk of getting flamed, I think Bangkok is becoming more open-minded, more creative, etc. Yes, there are some things here that contradict that, but overall, I think it is growing and not becoming more insular.

Increased cost of living can be a bummer, but I could hardly expect the world to stay cheap for my personal convenience.

• Like 1

Sincerely and honest, hand on heart, how many of us living in LOS really enjoy sitting in the middle of nowhere, no real mates, no farangs around to shoot the breeze ,,,, please be honest with yourself.

What a dreadful life moving to Thailand and watching television,YouTube and videos all day! Thailand offers a " fabulous outdoor lifestyle " who would honestly want to stay indoors all day?(" nobody") F.J

I really enjoy going for days without speaking English and to h_ll with shooting the breeze with farangs. No Leo. No SangSom. Plenty to do online and other non-computer activities. Just swam 1200 meters this AM in a salt-water pool: probably more swimming in salt-water than those who might swim in the waters off Phuket.

With exception of a newly established artist community, I can't stand the closed-minded mentality of rural people. Rural folks are nice to you while you are guest, but once you graduate from being a guest, you are sadly low on their pecking order because you didn't grow up there. I see talented people in rural areas who are never allowed to be who they could be because the small town mentality won't let grow beyond the label they were given as kids.
A small town is only good if don't like to particularly socialize with people and the majority of your entertainment is TV or other at home activities.
For those who wish to defend the rural area where they grew up: You're not there now, are you? That's cuz good folks leave those areas.
Bangkok isn't the cosmopolitan city I had expected/hoped it to be (the music scene is particularly disappointing) but it's good enough for me. And at the risk of getting flamed, I think Bangkok is becoming more open-minded, more creative, etc. Yes, there are some things here that contradict that, but overall, I think it is growing and not becoming more insular.
Increased cost of living can be a bummer, but I could hardly expect the world to stay cheap for my personal convenience.

city boy since birth , BKK and nowhere else. andd yet you know so much about thee country people!! lol

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers

That's all...

Yes you are right! My advice is not to buy a car or motorbike as the roads are extremely dangerous all over Thailand.You might be the best bike rider or driver in the world but that won't help you on these roads! I like to walk nearly everywhere and it's good for you too in this fabulous outdoor lifestyle.But i would recommend to find accommodation that is at least a 30 minute walk to the nearest train station! ( a great way for going on adventures ) F.J

We all have a car and certainly wouldn't resort to the dubious abilities of the local Thai drivers for transport. Motorbikes for the offspring we got rid of a few years ago. Driving 'standards', what are they? Keeping your eyes peeled and reading what others are doing is always a key to avoiding crashes, except here it's more of a challenge!

Edited by Anon999

The answer to your question is no. Rarely watch TV only drink 1 bottle of beer when we go out to dinner, maybe once a week or less. Have a few farang friends that I/we meet on an occasional basis. However, too many things to do and living on the outskirts of a pretty nice small city with a view of the countryside from our house is a very pleasant existence.

• Like 2

I/We live in Chiang Mai in a condo rent 4,000 bahts a month. Electric and water at the government rate. Electricity and water and internet services are really good here no complaints. We live in a condo with a pool good security. We are close to Kad Suan Kaew Central. I am 76 so we can still walk there and also to a hospital if need be. Its cooler here and we get a fair amount of rain like right now. We can bike to most places like markets, into the city central. Immigration is close by a 100 baht Songtaew ride round trip. Temples are close for my g/f The condo is fairly quiet no roosters or soi dogs. As far as Farangs go yes there are plenty here enough to have a nice circle of friends. I tried living in the country and unfortunately my then g/f friend was not much of a cook so we ate out most of the time. Its amazing how much yu can get with rice. Rice and shrimp, rice and egg, rice and chicken etc. etc. I really felt alien. Its Chiang Mai for me till the end of my days.

• Like 1

My wife and I live in Bangkok because it's super convenient for everything, but mainly because there's so much going on. Every weekend we attend some kind of convention or show. Still in our 30's, we want to mix and meet with similar, young, vibrant people.

BKK has its downsides and it won't be forever, but it's certainly a happening place where you can find like-minded people, whatever your work interests, preferences or hobbies.

Totally agree Bangkok is not an International City, very 70's in a lot of ways, what with all the silly laws etc etc, London is the place for Music and creativity and Night life... Great to be young in London it's Amazing and always will be.... In my opinion anyway..