Having a small food stand/kiosk

waynethor

I was talking to a friend about the possibility of selling a few choice prepared food items downtown in Pattaya. It's the type of business that would only require 2 or 3 people to run. Is there a way to do this without going through all the requirements of having at least 4 Thai staff (or whatever the legal requirement is)?

I noticed that there are a couple of farang guys who have a donair shop at the corner of South Pattaya and 2nd Street. They seem to do a good business, but it doesn't look like they have any Thai employees. (BTW I tried the lamb donair, and it was very tough. I don't think it was actually lamb but maybe some ancient old goat. Suspect the chicken ones are better.)

I know which guy you're talking about. The one that always wears his basecap the wrong way right? He is always superbusy and makes excellent falafel. He does have at least 3 Thai employees there so I'm afraid you can't use him as a reference.

Edited by wump

You can run a businees just by your self...if you have the right amount of Thai people in your paid roll and on social security to show when necessary to the labor dept. By the way..I think is not nice to even talk about other farangs business and products.....

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I had just about given up on that happening.

I didn't think it would be an easy thing to do without involving more Thai employees than I want. I don't think it would be worth my time in that case. Oh well, that's Pattaya's loss. 555

As for talking about another farangs foreigners business, what is your objection, umbanda? I'm not saying anything very negative about it, only that the lamb donair I got was very tough. It was, but I also pointed out that the guy seems to do a brisk trade, so it seems he has lot of people who like his food. I also gave him the benefit of the doubt that his chicken version is probably better. A lot of people on this forum seem to ride high horses.

a panini shop would work well.

sandwiches, toasted with that classic panini stripes... and the machines are super cheap.

salami and cheese with some olive oil S&P and BAM! Feel like you are on the Autostrade, stopping for an espresso and and panini

one difficulty with sandwiches in LOS is finding good quality bread. Thai breads all have too high a sugar content and are too soft and fluffy. But when you use them in a panini they get squashed and toasted to that crunch.

some ideas that are not usually found in sandwiches in LOS:

these all make great panini. tried them all at my sister in laws place. Thais liked the caprese, but the other ones were not so popular. foreigners loved them all. Be sure to use a bit of olive oil on them to get the toasted olive flavor and to get the bread to crisp well.

caprese - buffalo mozzarella, tomato, basil, olive oil, S&P (fresh ground)

roast beef with blue cheese

some variation of a reuben - put the coleslaw on side and a little cup of thousand island dressing for dipping.

roast beef au jus

• Like 2

a panini shop would work well.

sandwiches, toasted with that classic panini stripes... and the machines are super cheap.

salami and cheese with some olive oil S&P and BAM! Feel like you are on the Autostrade, stopping for an espresso and and panini

one difficulty with sandwiches in LOS is finding good quality bread. Thai breads all have too high a sugar content and are too soft and fluffy. But when you use them in a panini they get squashed and toasted to that crunch.

some ideas that are not usually found in sandwiches in LOS:

these all make great panini. tried them all at my sister in laws place. Thais liked the caprese, but the other ones were not so popular. foreigners loved them all. Be sure to use a bit of olive oil on them to get the toasted olive flavor and to get the bread to crisp well.

caprese - buffalo mozzarella, tomato, basil, olive oil, S&P (fresh ground)

roast beef with blue cheese

some variation of a reuben - put the coleslaw on side and a little cup of thousand island dressing for dipping.

roast beef au jus

Mmmmm, I'm getting hungry.

A panini press sounds like a great idea. I suspect that if the General let some of us foreigners have a small-time food stand without the usual Thai staffing requirements , it would be good for everyone and wouldn't really be competition for the Thai restaurants.

• Like 1

If you're talking about Mr.Kabab, he's from Egypt, married to Thai (she's usually there too) and has lived in Pattaya for more than a decade. I suspect he's already a citizen. I'm a regular customer and have chatted with him a few times, that's why I know.

If you're talking about Mr.Kabab, he's from Egypt, married to Thai (she's usually there too) and has lived in Pattaya for more than a decade. I suspect he's already a citizen. I'm a regular customer and have chatted with him a few times, that's why I know.

Thanks for the info.

As a regular customer, have you tried the lamb donair? As I said, the one I got was very tough and didn't seem to be sliced off the big rotating stacks of meat but more like slices of something that were fried. I love lamb and donairs but wouldn't try his lamb again. Perhaps I'll give the chicken a go when in that area again. Any recommendations?

Yes, he a super friendly guy. The food is superb too.

I didn't think it would be an easy thing to do without involving more Thai employees than I want. I don't think it would be worth my time in that case. Oh well, that's Pattaya's loss. 555

As for talking about another farangs foreigners business, what is your objection, umbanda? I'm not saying anything very negative about it, only that the lamb donair I got was very tough. It was, but I also pointed out that the guy seems to do a brisk trade, so it seems he has lot of people who like his food. I also gave him the benefit of the doubt that his chicken version is probably better. A lot of people on this forum seem to ride high horses.

what a laff when people here type something about Thailand's loss if their precious idea does not get special treatment or their precious $10/day they spend here will bankrupt the nation if they cant visa run anymore. cheesy.gif

what a laff when people here type something about Thailand's loss if their precious idea does not get special treatment or their precious $10/day they spend here will bankrupt the nation if they cant visa run anymore.

We had a nice friendly thread going.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to add a bad vibe to it. You did notice the 555 at the end of my remark. The number 5 is pronounced in Thai like the laughing sound 'ha'. When someone laughs at their own comment, people who have some intelligence know they're not being serious. There's a little help for you.

Now you can get backto your usual business of being a negative person, running around trying your best to make people feel bad and assuming the worse (If they can;t visa run anymore.) WAFI you are