Kata Beach Not perfect today..

glassdude007

Yes big waves rolling all the crap from offshore i guess..

But mid Kata Beach today was loaded with dog shat and garbage not the ex umbrella guys fault... Seems now the Parachute and jet ski guys have taken over mid Kata Beach they set up red flags not for safe swimming but for safe parachuting shoeing people away if they get close to there operation..

But the beach was really filthy at the shore line...why can not the town DPW or HIRE some some laborers to clean the beach each mornining it not brain surgery..every morning have a tractor or grader run up and down the beach.....geeeezzz

Thailand is Really a third world country when it come to LITTER.?

Time for a LITTER crackdown...lao

• Like 1

Yes, litter is something that Thai people apparently believe is NOT a bad thing.

Much of Asia is the same, although I must say, I just was in Cambodia and Vietnam and both were much cleaner comparatively.

China, parts of Nepal and Thailand seem the worst.

It has to start with choices of where to throw the garbage (trash bins please?)

And then education.

(maybe get the school kids out there picking it up, then they can teach the parents)

Wishfull thinking I know, but a long term solution if done properly.

Perhaps that mayor of Kata Karon needs to mount up a defense fund, so the jet ski guys are given carte blanche to do as they please, as long as the mayor gets a sizable cut.

West Coast beaches play tennis with India and Bangladesh each monsoon season for the garbage fest award. We hit it back to them come November.

• Like 1

I was impressed with the beach at Laem Mae Phim - heading east from Rayong. It gets a lot of rubbish swept in by tides like Kata. But every few days a farang local goes along the beach with rubbish bags collecting it all. Some local Thais join him as well. Good to see some community responsibility.

Kata beach has recently been cleaned. Yesterday it was looking as good as it has done during the whole monsoon. Pictures to prove your point otherwise I think you're off the mark with your observation

Prove what point?? this is not a court of law.

THE beach was loaded with dog crap and garbage end of story...

My local tourist beach back home in a tourist area in the summer they run a tractor up and down the beach seems to clean up the beach very well. But here that does not happen town workers not really do much work at keeping beaches clean.

• Like 1

Not just dog crap but piss too, and now with no loungers, they mark the tourist's belongings lying on the sand.

That garbage is NOT from India but Thais chucking there and here, just everywhere, and it washed down on the gulleys, creeks and rivers.

Was there for 3 hrs today and looked really clean at the Nth end, I don't know if many of you have spent any time working offshore between Phuket and India but the statement made about rubbish floating down is correct(It goes both ways). I know of a seismic boat that found a hobby cat from Phuket offshore Visak and have seen loads of Indian/Bangladesh ect garbage heading down the Andaman coast.

andaman_currents.gif

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not just dog crap but piss too, and now with no loungers, they mark the tourist's belongings lying on the sand.

That garbage is NOT from India but Thais chucking there and here, just everywhere, and it washed down on the gulleys, creeks and rivers.

Are you for real, do you go around sniffing trees and mounds of sand or something?

• Like 1

Kata beach has recently been cleaned. Yesterday it was looking as good as it has done during the whole monsoon. Pictures to prove your point otherwise I think you're off the mark with your observation

Prove what point?? this is not a court of law.

THE beach was loaded with dog crap and garbage end of story...

My local tourist beach back home in a tourist area in the summer they run a tractor up and down the beach seems to clean up the beach very well. But here that does not happen town workers not really do much work at keeping beaches clean.

Metice i agree, there were no big waves at kata yesterday, or the day before, and yesterday I surfed an almost pristine kata noi then swam at kata from ska bar to surf house and It was one of the most picture perfect days. We actually commented on it a couple of times yesterday, not a piece of rubbish in sight, glassdude are you sure you didn't dream this?

On another note, 2 days ago I dived the reef at kata south end and the amount of rubbish and shit that is down there is unreal. That really needs a clean up.

The tractor thing on the beach is a good idea, I've said the same before, in Bali they do this at kuta beach daily, it makes such a difference.

Back home, they can run a tractor for about the labor cost of 3-4 guys with shovels and rakes.

In low cost labor areas, they can get 10-20 (or more) folks out there with shovels and rakes for about what it would cost to buy a tractor, maintain it, and keep fuel in it. Supporting 10-20 families with their kids and cousins and.....

I agree the beach cleanup is a great idea. How they go about it is probably going to look different than back home.

Unfortunately, the local government doesn't see the need to spend money on the cleanup. In the past they took the easy way out, and that is, collect an envelope from the beach chair guys, then have the beach chair guys clean up the beach. The only people I see cleaning the beaches are just volunteers.

Yesterday I was back at Nai Harn, and just a couple weeks after "Nai Harn looks perfect", there's already a visible amount of trash, disgusting and shameful.

You guys are hilarious. Worried sick about a few chip packets and some plastic bags from Big C.

The real issue on these beaches is the toxicology of the seawater. Simply put, the Phuket shoreline is a biohazard.

The problem of silt run off from over development is also salient. The bulk of the coral around Phuket is dead.

As overdevelopment continues, in the absence of improved sewerage and drainage systems, the above mentioned issues will worsen dramatically.

What good is a beach free of trash if the surrounding marine ecosystem is dead and the seawater pure poison?

• Like 1

^ It's the Thai way, all about aesthetics, substance be damned. Swim in a toilet OK as long as it looks nice.

My concern with garbage is marine life, turtles and such that do ingest it and die. I guess soon there won't be any more living to worry about.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are you for real, do you go around sniffing trees and mounds of sand or something?

I've seen it, beach dogs not only crapping but peeing on beach - goer's belongings left on the sand while they are swimming in the ocean, as there are no longer any loungers or umbrellas to place them on.

You really need to contradict that trash is everywhere, far from and near the beach? I will admit, I pick a lot of it up, don't you? None I've seen looks like it's from India, looks like standard Thai garbage lying along every single road, every water way, every beach. Perhaps some of it is , but the statement I was contradicting regarding beach trash, was; " It comes from India..."

Edited by EBlair48