Total candidates for 250 NRC seats end at 6,729

webfact

Good questions this time, really.

OP total 6,729 applicants, 3,959 candidates proposed by organisations to the EC in Bangkok, 2,770 to provincial administration offices and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration office.

Now maybe I jumped the gun without further details, but with 80% of the population living outside Bangkok, I'd expect more applications in the Provincial Offices. The reasoning of "maybe don't want to be seen as cooperating with the NCPO" I have seen here I consider a weak argument.

As for your last question, the sentence has the 'base' already. Maybe more clear if I shift sentence parts like

"after having relied on local elite and politicians for so long Could it be a case where to some it's difficult to think for themselves?"

Maybe your simplistic and frankly insulting, viewpoint that the rural voters are "unable to think for themselves" or find it too difficult, would benefit from a read of Andrew Walkers paper "The rural constitution and the everyday politics of elections in Northern Thailand".

Those citizens who do not have the dubious honour of residing in Bangkok are a lot more savvy than you give them credit for, unsurprisingly enough. And this paper was a study undertaken written in 2008.(http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/walker-2008.pdf)

My, they might even be able to think for themselves now!

(It's even critical of Thaksin, so I'm sure you'll be able to cherrypick something to quote back at me) coffee1.gif

Read again, dear fabs. I wrote as question "could it be", I didn't write as statement "are"

Downloaded the PDF, but have difficulty reading / understanding. It doesn't seem a real objective paper, but will let you know after more study.

BTW always aiming to please, the quote about a village North of ChiangMai is interesting

"When I asked one of the small restaurant owners if her apron signalled support for Tanet she responded: ‘‘He came and gave them out so we decided to wear them. He is standing for election to be mayor. But I don’t know if he will get elected. He is not a local. He has lived here for 20 years. Most people know him. But he is from somewhere else.’’"

PS FYI the paper mentions 18 November 2007, so the study might be from 2007 or earlier.

Edited by rubl

... ...

Of course my original post was in response to your speculation that people 'upcountry' can't think for themselves, which I disagree with. Once again you ignored the main point of my post in order to inaccurately critique peripheral details.

"Could it be a case where to some it's difficult to think for themselves after having relied on local elite and politicians for so long? Clearly the education reform needs to concentrate on self-awareness, self-reliance, self-entitlement."

Anyway, I know what's in the OP and that includes what I wrote as "about the very few candidates proposed upcountry, in the provinces. ".

Please also note the "upcountry, in the provinces"

Till now a lot of distraction, but no new data from posters. The one thing I found though was the final tallies,

"A total of 7,042 people named as candidates for the NRC during the nomination period between August 14 and Tuesday, according to Election Commission secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong. Of these, 4,262 people were nominated by not-for-profit legal entities and 2,780 by the provincial selection panels."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757620-prayuth-assures-fair-selection-of-reform-council-members/

"Anyway, I know what's in the OP and that includes what I wrote as "about the very few candidates proposed upcountry, in the provinces. "."

What in the OP led you to the conclusion there were "very few candidates proposed upcountry, in the province."

What do you base your speculation "Could it be a case where to some it's difficult to think for themselves after having relied on local elite and politicians for so long?" upon?

OP total 6,729 applicants, 3,959 candidates proposed by organisations to the EC in Bangkok, 2,770 to provincial administration offices and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration office.

Now maybe I jumped the gun without further details, but with 80% of the population living outside Bangkok, I'd expect more applications in the Provincial Offices. The reasoning of "maybe don't want to be seen as cooperating with the NCPO" I have seen here I consider a weak argument.

As for your last question, the sentence has the 'base' already. Maybe more clear if I shift sentence parts like

"after having relied on local elite and politicians for so long Could it be a case where to some it's difficult to think for themselves?"

Why do you think the 'upcountry' people rely on local elite and politicians, and for what? What makes you think the average 'upcountry' family relies on anything but themselves and their family for their needs? Why do you think 'upcountry' people are more reliant than Bangkok people? As I pointed out, Thais outside of Bangkok receive only a fraction of the per capita government spending as Bangkok residents, suggesting dependence on the government is in Bangkok. Could it be the case that some Bangkok people find it difficult to think for themselves and therefore rely on ignorant stereotypes about the rest of Thailand?

As far as the geographic distribution of candidates, the OP stated:

"...of the total 6,729 applicants, 3,959 candidates were proposed by non-profitable organisation to the EC in Bangkok, and the rest 2,770 were proposed at the provincial administration offices and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration office."

It seems the break-down is between candidates proposed by non-profit organizations to the EC and those proposed to administration offices throughout Thailand. I don't see information about the geographic distribution of candidates.

Edited by heybruce

Why do you think the 'upcountry' people rely on local elite and politicians, and for what? What makes you think the average 'upcountry' family relies on anything but themselves and their family for their needs? Why do you think 'upcountry' people are more reliant than Bangkok people? As I pointed out, Thais outside of Bangkok receive only a fraction of the per capita government spending as Bangkok residents, suggesting dependence on the government is in Bangkok. Could it be the case that some Bangkok people find it difficult to think for themselves and therefore rely on ignorant stereotypes about the rest of Thailand?

As far as the geographic distribution of candidates, the OP stated:

"...of the total 6,729 applicants, 3,959 candidates were proposed by non-profitable organisation to the EC in Bangkok, and the rest 2,770 were proposed at the provincial administration offices and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration office."

It seems the break-down is between candidates proposed by non-profit organizations to the EC and those proposed to administration offices throughout Thailand. I don't see information about the geographic distribution of candidates.

As for the candidates, indeed more info is required, as I indicate with

"Now maybe I jumped the gun without further details, but with 80% of the population living outside Bangkok, I'd expect more applications in the Provincial Offices."