Fun car 1mil baht - What would you choose?

BBesoteric

Hi guys,

If you had under 1 mil baht spare to buy a turbo manual car for a weekend dive in Thailand, what would it be?

I was thinking something a bit more modern and new, due to reliability.

I am a fan of the older Japanese turbos but they are quite pricey here. I have seen a few evos for under a million, plenty of rough cefiros and 1jz converted cars

My only worry is not having access to a proper performance shop, but actually none of us would want to be spending more time and money having our car in the shop anyway.

A car bought at auction would probably be the safest way.

Just at the top of my head I have thought about the:

Fiat 500

Hyundai Genesis

Nissan Pulsar

Audi TT (pricey maintenance)

I heard the turbo focus and fiesta were coming to thailand, but I havent found any turbo specs on the Thai website.

Also no turbo mazda 3 or mitsubish colts here. What about the Vw polo turbo?

What are your thoughts?

If you have any recommendations for a engine swap that has worked well for you here, please let me know. The Thais seem to have an abundance of 1jz and 2jz here and good experience on then. Also is their preference of the jz due to the quick power and low price? I rarely see a rb conversion.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1m new with turbo....Hmmmh....not much choice....probably only one deserving: Nissan Pulsar Turbo.1.07m

Not the greatest looking car in my opinion...

There is still the Proton Preve Turbo....not really all that fast though!

Or you can go with a 2-3 year old VW Golf GTI for roughly around 1.3-5m.

A very slightly used VW Polo GTI is for sales on one of the second hand website for around 1.39m.

Or forget about turbos and get yourself a Mazda 3....as mentioned in other threads a good car for the price. (I am owning a VW Golf GTI).

Ive seen fiat turbos a few years old for 800k. A bit small, but the power to weight ratio would be amazing.

Hyundai Veloster are a bit over a mil, but hopefully by the end of the year the price will be lower and maybe even a few at auction. Hyundai and Kia have picked up there act in the past few years.

Fiesta ecoboost and put a bigger turbo on it same as has been done for formula ford.

749k for a new car is great, but im not familiar with a 3 cyl 1.0L turbo...especially how would react with a bigger turbo? I'll do some research.

What about the focus turbo in Thailand? The focus st looks great and has nice power for a hatch.

Edited by BBesoteric

Fiesta ecoboost and put a bigger turbo on it same as has been done for formula ford.

749k for a new car is great, but im not familiar with a 3 cyl 1.0L turbo...especially how would react with a bigger turbo? I'll do some research.

What about the focus turbo in Thailand? The focus st looks great and has nice power for a hatch.

I dont know how to link on this phone, but its on the website under new fiesta.

Its the 1 litre 3 pot but search youtube for chris harris formula ford for whats been done by just adding a larger turbo. Ok the car is half the weight but 170 to 200 bhp in a fiesta chassis .

754,000 baht for the car.

oh and no focus yet.

You guys are braver than me. I just drive to survive in Thailand.

The idea of getting a turbo performance car is that last thing I want. I think I've heard that Thailand is something like number 3 in the world for traffic fatalities, so I don't want that kind of temptation. I love driving fast,

The idea of getting a turbo performance car is that last thing I want. I think I've heard that Thailand is something like number 3 in the world for traffic fatalities, so I don't want that kind of temptation. I love driving fast,

I don't see it being more dangerous having a powerful car....I actually believe that it is 'less' dangerous. You can drive nearly any car ridiculous or careless....Trust me driving a March around 150 km/h at max thru a small Soi is as dangerous as driving a Porsche at that speed thru the same Soi.

If you are a responsible driver I would say the extra power gives an advantage, for example when overtaking. You would need much more space on the March then on the Porsche...and sometimes you just don't have the vision to see that far forward.

Again, I am saying power in the hands of a responsible driver can make driving safer to some extend.

It is simple you drive only as fast as the situation and traffic allows.....but why not having a little fun by doing so.

Been driving in Thailand for over 20 years and "touch wood" never had an accident.

• Like 2

I don't see it being more dangerous having a powerful car....I actually believe that it is 'less' dangerous. You can drive nearly any car ridiculous or careless....Trust me driving a March around 150 km/h at max thru a small Soi is as dangerous as driving a Porsche at that speed thru the same Soi.

If you are a responsible driver I would say the extra power gives an advantage, for example when overtaking. You would need much more space on the March then on the Porsche...and sometimes you just don't have the vision to see that far forward.

Again, I am saying power in the hands of a responsible driver can make driving safer to some extend.

It is simple you drive only as fast as the situation and traffic allows.....but why not having a little fun by doing so.

Been driving in Thailand for over 20 years and "touch wood" never had an accident.

Well said.

My mazda 3 has enough grunt to make it feel sporty to drive on its stiff(ish) suspension and low profile tyres but on the flipside that sporty feeling can very easily get you into trouble if a few more horsepower is needed to get out of a situation.

If only it had 250hp and 6 manual gears to play with (instead of 165hp and 6 auto gears).

• Like 1

No real argument there. I'm talking about ME ("I don't want that kind of temptation. I love driving fast,")

But unfortunately, I could be the most skilled and responsible driver around, only taking it up to 160 or so when the conditions seem good. It's the other less responsible and maybe not so talented drive I'm worried about. I've taken a car up to 220 before through a mountain pass, but that wasn't in Thailand and after slowing back down to a reasonable speed it hit me just how dangerous my action was.

I'm not getting preachy or looking for a fight. My comment was only about my own temptations.

• Like 1

My choice.....I know if not a turbo/hot runner, but it is brand new model, very beautiful, and exactly with the same US price.

The new Hunday Sonata made in Indonesia selling in Thailand now, and under 800K. Gorgeous!post-183983-0-61692400-1409738984_thumb.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I have thought about doing the same but there is nothing here, that I have found really interesting. Maybe I have to be looking around Bangkok but there is nothing here with real performance and a hotted up honda civic is just a girly as a as the next one. Coming from having cars back home with at least 400hp plus GTR, EVO, FPV F6, HSV Clubsports, HSV Maloos I really want something like this here. I might be wrong but unless you are paying big big money you are not going to find anything of this nature or equivalent to. Am I wrong here, or does true performance just not exist here?

For 1 million.

1. Toyota Vios - 200k.

2. 1UZ V8 - 40k

3. couple of turbo's - 60k.

4. 5 speed manual - 10k

5. clutch- 20k

6. LSD Diff from a pickup - 10k

7. Moly Tubing - 30k

8. Suspension - 300k

9. Fuel system - 100k

10. miscellaneous - 200k

Spend the balance on fuel then Kick back and hold on.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

how about considering the Nissan Skyline GTR34, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX8, Subaru WRX

Not a chance will you get an R34 skyline for under a million baht.... you would be looking at well flogged R32's for that coin.

Older Supra's/RX8's and WRX's you will find though.

I would not want someone elses flogged out RX8 though..... they are horrid cars and that chook cooker up front is a time bomb, saying that they are an awesome vehicle with an LS series V8 chev in them.

If it is just for some weekend fun what about a late 90's Mazda MX5, once it gets boring toss a turbo on it.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

I bought a brand new Ford Escape SE http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/ for that amount.

The cars you mention are useless at times in Phuket due to flooding etc. Only 2.4L

so a bit gutless, but other than that, I am very happy with it. My previous car in Aus was a Merc 500SL

so I am even more happily surprised ; )

Cheers,

NS

You missed the fun part of the OP ?

Get yourself a new truck, do a few mods to it eg. uprate turbo's, jack it up, some bling rims....much better!

I just couldn't bring myself to buy some knackered old WRX or the like for over a million baht (GBP20k) that would be worth BHT100k in the UK....just couldn't do it....goes against all my senses.

No real argument there. I'm talking about ME ("I don't want that kind of temptation. I love driving fast,")

But unfortunately, I could be the most skilled and responsible driver around, only taking it up to 160 or so when the conditions seem good. It's the other less responsible and maybe not so talented drive I'm worried about. I've taken a car up to 220 before through a mountain pass, but that wasn't in Thailand and after slowing back down to a reasonable speed it hit me just how dangerous my action was.

I'm not getting preachy or looking for a fight. My comment was only about my own temptations.

Well like an alcoholic if you can't handle your drink, best to avoid temptation completely fer sure.

how about considering the Nissan Skyline GTR34, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX8, Subaru WRX

Not a chance will you get an R34 skyline for under a million baht.... you would be looking at well flogged R32's for that coin.

Older Supra's/RX8's and WRX's you will find though.

I would not want someone elses flogged out RX8 though..... they are horrid cars and that chook cooker up front is a time bomb, saying that they are an awesome vehicle with an LS series V8 chev in them.

If it is just for some weekend fun what about a late 90's Mazda MX5, once it gets boring toss a turbo on it.

Yep if the 8 Renesis had the same bullet proof rep as the Rx7 13b it'd be the thing to have at that cost but there are several issues that add up and contribute to the engines demise and one of them is NOT being run hard enough and blowing out the carbon build up which eventually ruins the seals but if you're going to run the balls off it? It has a decent chance of survival if it's only a weekend warrior as long as it gets blown out on the weekends and not driven like a nanny to the market. Problem is, all I've seen available in Thailand is the auto box and the engine is down on power in the auto box which has only four ports V the 6 port, 5 speed manual instead and those engines in that trim are the worst and have the most problems not to mention they're missing the max fun factor compared to the 6 speed manual. But still up on what is mostly available in Thailand and if you turbo one?? Woo Hoo!! If you do consider this car just do a lot of research and know how to use it, the info is out there for example it will flood if you start it up and don't let it warm up before shutting down. like just moving it briefley for example. Mine has never flooded though even though I've screwed that up a few times AND it has worn seals needing an engine at the mo.

Or like Spooners says, consider an engine swap you'll still have a really nice chassis under you with plenty of power to play with.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Get a pickup truck for far less, tweak the 3 liter common rail engine and you will have no idea what happened to you 600+ Hp and lots of torque, play...

If one were going to go that route a nice used Ford TDI focus hatch would be the best and then have plenty of extra cash to tweek the power and handling with..

I would choose a full sized Hummer.

Driving in Thailand is foolish, but driving a "sporty" car here is lunacy. The only places to drive really fast and yet responsibly are a long way from where I would want to live. The rough roads will pound it to pieces. The thieves will target it, strip or steal whole thing. You better have a great stereo in it because that will be your first pleasure, not the car, as you sit stopped in traffic. Park beside of a clunker and get big door dings or those tell tale scrapes on the rear panel when someone pulls out a little too wrong. Then there are the "key it" folks.

My advice is to take pride in the wonderful Thai woman you married, not a thing... a car.