Removing rev/hp limiter on BMW 328i/528i

pedro01

Hi all

The new 328i/528i model comes in at 245hp at 6500rpm in most countries.

In Thailand (presumably because of the tax banding) it gives you 218hp at 6000 rpm.

I was wondering if any if our esteemed members could throw some light on the nature of this restriction, what it would take to remove it & any risks.

I am not looking to go above the 245 it gives as standard in other countries...

Pedro

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1

Hi Pedro,

I suggest you put the car on a dyno to check the actual power.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

If indeed it does have only 218 bhp, it can be changed.

I doubt any BMW dealer would do it for you, they could but probably won't, which means you have to locate a Grey Market service centre using the "Autologic" diagnostic system which will be able to change it very quickly via CIP.

• Like 1

Hi Pedro,

I suggest you put the car on a dyno to check the actual power.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

If indeed it does have only 218 bhp, it can be changed.

I doubt any BMW dealer would do it for you, they could but probably won't, which means you have to locate a Grey Market service centre using the "Autologic" diagnostic system which will be able to change it very quickly via CIP.

The car actually has a HP meter on the sports controls - on that it goes up to 245 but tops @ around 220.

I asked a Thai colleague to call around for me - it will be interesting if this is just something that's programmable - beats buyng a grey market chip or an original chip from overseas...

It's a software issue only, no chip required.

Only the correct CIP from BMW.

I urge you to double check on a dyno first though, because anything can be programmed into the on board computer.

I have "Autologic" and know what it can do.

Google Autologic BMW.

• Like 1

I urge you to double check on a dyno first though, because anything can be programmed into the on board computer.

Google Autologic BMW.

Do you know any reputable places that have Autologic here and know how to use it?

Google Autologic BMW.

Do you know any reputable places that have Autologic here and know how to use it?

I don't know of anyone in TH with Autologic, but only because I've not looked for it.

There is a distributor in Malaysia who covers SEA. Perhaps they could tell you or alternately, email Autologic themselves and ask them.

I really do suggest a Dyno check before all else though as I have had this exact conversation with someone who knows a lot about the subject. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.

To accomplish this, you would need to reprogram the ECU.

The encryption for the ECU on the F-series BMW's is not yet broken (well some rumors say it has, but that's another story). So no main stream tuners can actually gain access to the ECU via the OBD-port, like they can the E-series.

I have reprogrammed my E90 320D and my E92 M3 using a device connected to the OBD-port. But for my F20 116i, I went with a piggyback device from Hartge.

• Like 1

The encryption for the ECU on the F-series BMW's is not yet broken (well some rumors say it has, but that's another story). So no main stream tuners can actually gain access to the ECU via the OBD-port, like they can the E-series.

I have reprogrammed my E90 320D and my E92 M3 using a device connected to the OBD-port. But for my F20 116i, I went with a piggyback device from Hartge.

Exactly why I suggested 'Autologic' via CIP. (Coding, Individualisation & Programming) in BMW speak. Nothing to do with breaking the ECU at all. It is simply utilising what is already in the system. Altering the 'Country Code' on the car is one way to achieve this.

You're on the wrong wavelength with this one Mortenaa, without wishing to be rude.

If he already had the 245bhp and was looking for an increase, I endorse your comments and he has not indicated that is his wish.

I'm interested to see if Pedro has put the car on a dyno yet as per my previous comments.

Edit: The dealer is quite capable of arranging this and receive the correct data from Germany to achieve this, although obviously, they will not.

Edited by Woodsie888

Exactly why I suggested 'Autologic' via CIP. (Coding, Individualisation & Programming) in BMW speak. Nothing to do with breaking the ECU at all. It is simply utilising what is already in the system. Altering the 'Country Code' on the car is one way to achieve this.

You're on the wrong wavelength with this one Mortenaa, without wishing to be rude.

If he already had the 245bhp and was looking for an increase, I endorse your comments and he has not indicated that is his wish.

I'm interested to see if Pedro has put the car on a dyno yet as per my previous comments.

Edit: The dealer is quite capable of arranging this and receive the correct data from Germany to achieve this, although obviously, they will not.

I am aware of CIP possibilities, and have done some coding myself. I was NOT aware of that you can change the engine parameters though. If it really was that easy, then a lot of coutries with detuned models (for tax reasons) could easily change their cars engine programming.

Off topic: The dealers in Thailand are not interested to do any coding. I have done a lot of customizations to my cars, including retrofitting complete iDrive navigation etc, and this has been done using Autologic and purchasing codes of the gray market.

Edited by mortenaa

I am aware of CIP possibilities, and have done some coding myself. I was NOT aware of that you can change the engine parameters though. If it really was that easy, then a lot of coutries with detuned models (for tax reasons) could easily change their cars engine programming.

Off topic: The dealers in Thailand are not interested to do any coding. I have done a lot of customizations to my cars, including retrofitting complete iDrive navigation etc, and this has been done using Autologic and purchasing codes of the gray market.

If you used 'Autologic' Mortenaa, you don't need to purchase the codes.......

As I've previously mentioned, Autologic is a subscription based service and you can have all the CIP services you like for the year your subscription is current. They do charge for performance tune however which would not be applicable in Pedro's case. Of course have used Autologic yourself, you would be aware of this.

I retro fitted Navigation, telephone kit, daytime running lights, turned on the RDS feature of the radio and changed the Speedometer to 400 BMW's I purchased from BMW TH and exported to the UK. Autologic devised a conversion (Including Country Code) for me that meant I could code all of those features with the single touch of a button. I've had quite a bit of practice at this.

I've got an Autologic with me here in BKK and if you want to pay for an annual subscription, I'll show you it's capabilities. There's got to be a very good reason a number of BMW dealers around the world use them as well as the GT1. I have no experience with the new BMW 3GIO system however.

Sorry Pedro for going off topic.

The short answer is, you can achieve what you need, but please start with the dyne first!

As I've previously mentioned, Autologic is a subscription based service and you can have all the CIP services you like for the year your subscription is current. They do charge for performance tune however which would not be applicable in Pedro's case. Of course have used Autologic yourself, you would be aware of this.

I retro fitted Navigation, telephone kit, daytime running lights, turned on the RDS feature of the radio and changed the Speedometer to 400 BMW's I purchased from BMW TH and exported to the UK. Autologic devised a conversion (Including Country Code) for me that meant I could code all of those features with the single touch of a button. I've had quite a bit of practice at this.

I've got an Autologic with me here in BKK and if you want to pay for an annual subscription, I'll show you it's capabilities. There's got to be a very good reason a number of BMW dealers around the world use them as well as the GT1. I have no experience with the new BMW 3GIO system however.

The short answer is, you can achieve what you need, but please start with the dyne first!

Very interesting. I have never used Autologic myself. I have done coding with PC software and smartphone software, but there are limits to what you can do. Typically upload a new map for your ECU, or eg turn off the seat belt alarm. When retrofitting eg iDrive, the coding has been done remotely.

I haven't yet.

I do understand what you are implying with your comments and the reasons you wont spell it out loud.

Even if the hp on the dyno is not what I am expecting, I presume it is still actually restricted to an extent and not all smoke and mirrors.

So right now I am thinking if I get an unexpected result on the dyno that reprogramming this would still be improve performance.

Good stuff!

Burger Tuning have a bit of kit they call the "Bavarian Technic Cable Diagnostic / Reset Tool for BMW and Mini"

http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Bavarian_Technic_Cable_BMW.jpg

Bav_Technic_Cable_screen_ic.jpg

Basically a cable & PC software that allows you to change the codes. I presume this is basically a poor mans autologic. It's only $179 and I was thinking it might be worth getting just to see if changing the country code would help.

Any thoughts on that?

They also have plug in tuners that give an extra boost on an unmodified car (http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html). I don't really need the extra boost but if it's a way to de-restrict the car, then I could go for it. I would be concerned about the impact on the lifetime of the engine though and my warranty!

I also don't know if these plug in tuners would be hampered by the existing restriction. I presume now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good stuff!

Burger Tuning have a bit of kit they call the "Bavarian Technic Cable Diagnostic / Reset Tool for BMW and Mini"

Basically a cable & PC software that allows you to change the codes. I presume this is basically a poor mans autologic. It's only $179 and I was thinking it might be worth getting just to see if changing the country code would help.

Any thoughts on that?

They also have plug in tuners that give an extra boost on an unmodified car (http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html). I don't really need the extra boost but if it's a way to de-restrict the car, then I could go for it. I would be concerned about the impact on the lifetime of the engine though and my warranty!

I also don't know if these plug in tuners would be hampered by the existing restriction. I presume now.

This tool won't do what you would like it to do Pedro.

As far as I know, Autologic is the only tool available that will do what you want via CIP.

That's why it costs about £20,000 to get one up and running with a years subscription.

There might be other diagnostic tools that can do it that I'm unaware of obviously.

Your 245 bhp is in there Pedro, it's just a matter of turning it on or maybe you already have it? smile.png

• Like 1

If you want to "play" around a little bit and do some simple diagnosis I can recommend the BMWhat application for Android or IOS (Iphone)

It´s cheap but works very well and even allows some coding of options. Of course not what the OP is looking for but it is a nice to have thing. I´ve got the android version and a cheap ebay bluetooth adatper (10$). No need to carry the laptop anymore thumbsup.gif

For the 245HP, listen to Woodsie or Mortenaa, their ideas seem good, specially the dyno run. Why not check with what you start before you plan the next step. Maybe BMW just said: Screw these Thais and their tax rules, we´ll just put a 220HP sticker on and that´s it. +/- 10% are not our fault and are in tolerance levels biggrin.png

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 2

Good stuff!

Any thoughts on that?

As far as I know, Autologic is the only tool available that will do what you want via CIP.

That's why it costs about £20,000 to get one up and running with a years subscription.

There might be other diagnostic tools that can do it that I'm unaware of obviously.

Your 245 bhp is in there Pedro, it's just a matter of turning it on or maybe you already have it? smile.png

Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Burger Stage 1 Tune. I presume that this will override the limiter (if it exists) and potentially give me a little more on top.

The fact it looks easy enough to install that a chimp can do it also appeals to my chimp like sensibilities.

Good stuff!

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Burger Stage 1 Tune. I presume that this will override the limiter (if it exists) and potentially give me a little more on top.

The fact it looks easy enough to install that a chimp can do it also appeals to my chimp like sensibilities.

Actually, your car won't have a 'limiter' as such, purely an alteration in certain values within the ECU (maybe)

The burger stage 1 tune is purely a tuning box which is designed to bypass the factory settings by over fuelling and or altering boost. This can be cheap performance which appears to work well on Diesels, although petrol engines may be 'more sensitive' to this mod. Plug and play tuning sure is a great concept and I have done it on MB 350 CDI, 530d, 320d and 3.0D4D and enjoyed very good results.

For a bit of fun, why don't you do a before and after dyno run?

I and a few others on this thread would be very interested in the results.

Actually, your car won't have a 'limiter' as such, purely an alteration in certain values within the ECU (maybe)

The burger stage 1 tune is purely a tuning box which is designed to bypass the factory settings by over fuelling and or altering boost. This can be cheap performance which appears to work well on Diesels, although petrol engines may be 'more sensitive' to this mod. Plug and play tuning sure is a great concept and I have done it on MB 350 CDI, 530d, 320d and 3.0D4D and enjoyed very good results.

For a bit of fun, why don't you do a before and after dyno run?

I and a few others on this thread would be very interested in the results.

Absolutely - if I do the mod, I will do a before & after dyno.

Contact my mates at (Autowerks) they do specialist tuning for all Germany, exotic cars etc.

they tuned my Audi A5, my mates Lambo, C-black etc.

the tune and option all originates from Germany, with the most reputable tuner from Germany personally doing all the remapping himself.

two ways to access the ecu one is through OBD2, if the OBD2 limits the writing function they go direct through the ecu.

if you need the contact details let me know, otherwise:

https://www.facebook.com/Autowerksbangkok

tell him Philip recommended you!

• Like 2

For the 245HP, listen to Woodsie or Mortenaa, their ideas seem good, specially the dyno run. Why not check with what you start before you plan the next step. Maybe BMW just said: Screw these Thais and their tax rules, we´ll just put a 220HP sticker on and that´s it. +/- 10% are not our fault and are in tolerance levels biggrin.png

This program doesn't work to code the F-series yet unfortunately...

Contact my mates at (Autowerks) they do specialist tuning for all Germany, exotic cars etc.

they tuned my Audi A5, my mates Lambo, C-black etc.

the tune and option all originates from Germany, with the most reputable tuner from Germany personally doing all the remapping himself.

two ways to access the ecu one is through OBD2, if the OBD2 limits the writing function they go direct through the ecu.

if you need the contact details let me know, otherwise:

https://www.facebook.com/Autowerksbangkok

tell him Philip recommended you!

As of yet, its not possible to tune this car using the OBD2 port. Only piggyback devices would work.

Thanks.

If you want to go with a piggyback-soluition like the JB4, I can recommend "Hartge engine conversion". Compared to the JB4, its a much more advanced device, connecting to five different sensors (including throttle control), compared to the JB4, which I believe connect to only two. I also read a lot of negative feedback about the JB4.

I bought the Hartge for my 1-series, and I am very happy with the result.

http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_motor_6153.html

If not by obd2 then direct through ecu. Remove ecu and link a connection.... I had the same issue with the A5... Now I am running a stage 3

Always amusing to hear people talking about stage 1,2 & 3 rubbish.

However what you have done with your grey market A5 with much inferior ECU architecture to the OP's car has no relevance here and I am fairly certain Pedro will not want some local ripping his ECU apart. A really clever way to void his warranty, I should think.

However a piggy back is easily removed and previous fitment and use is not normally detected at dealer level.

• Like 1