Firefox ..

RedStain

Hi geoffphuket,

I think this is the download site for beta 2.0 version......

http://www.download.com/Mozilla-Firefox/30...987.html?tag=bc

sorry but I am a wimp when it comes to downloading any thing !!! and the download site says .... Note:...... Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, So can you try the above first , and let me know how you get on ....... Ha Ha ..

Thanks ..... Mumbo ( the wimp )

Hmmm....Think I'll wait 'till it's a proper Beta release. Probably not long now. In the meantime Download 1.5 and get on with it !! :o

I'm one of the Opera users. Downloaded it a few years ago to find some alternative to IE and have been on Opera ever since. When Firefox came out I tried it, too, but there wasn't anything I didn't have in Opera already so I wasn't impressed at all.

Someone mentioned typing passwords - not in Opera. It has a "wand" feature that remembers them all, you just click Ctrl and Enter on any login page and that's it.

My personal favourites are "mouse gestures" - hold the right button and move the mouse. You can close a page (called "tab" in non-IE browsers), open a new page, go back and forward, reload, stop loading if it got stuck etc. No need to click the buttons or search through menus. I have only three buttons - rewind back, forward, and stop/reload - keeps the screen clean and neat.

These kind of things they got in Firefox, too, I believe. What makes Opera different is that it has integrated e-mail client - all your e-mail and RSS feeds open in the same browser, not a separate program, like Thunderbird for Firefox or Outlook for IE.

Last month Opera released version 9.0, not a "beta" anymore. I've been using it since version 7.5. Firefox is still on version 2 "beta"? Long way to go to fix everything, but they are on the right track, I believe. From what I read Firefox and Opera are practically equal, feature by feature, but there are more people working on Firefox development, it ought to be better, if not now than in a couple of years time.

Oh, and the search features in Opera - type "g firefox" and the google page with results for firefox will come up automatically. "i firefox" will open google image results for firefox, "w firefox" will open wikipedia results for firefox - just right click on any search field on any page and assign a code letter for future searches.

I don't know why exactly I'm writing all these, but for people who have never left IE some of these features will be like an epiphany, either Firefox or any other half decent browser.

Edited by Plus

I'm one of the Opera users. Downloaded it a few years ago to find some alternative to IE and have been on Opera ever since. When Firefox came out I tried it, too, but there wasn't anything I didn't have in Opera already so I wasn't impressed at all.

Someone mentioned typing passwords - not in Opera. It has a "wand" feature that remembers them all, you just click Ctrl and Enter on any login page and that's it.

My personal favourites are "mouse gestures" - hold the right button and move the mouse. You can close a page (called "tab" in non-IE browsers), open a new page, go back and forward, reload, stop loading if it got stuck etc. No need to click the buttons or search through menus. I have only three buttons - rewind back, forward, and stop/reload - keeps the screen clean and neat.

These kind of things they got in Firefox, too, I believe. What makes Opera different is that it has integrated e-mail client - all your e-mail and RSS feeds open in the same browser, not a separate program, like Thunderbird for Firefox or Outlook for IE.

Last month Opera released version 9.0, not a "beta" anymore. I've been using it since version 7.5. Firefox is still on version 2 "beta"? Long way to go to fix everything, but they are on the right track, I believe. From what I read Firefox and Opera are practically equal, feature by feature, but there are more people working on Firefox development, it ought to be better, if not now than in a couple of years time.

Oh, and the search features in Opera - type "g firefox" and the google page with results for firefox will come up automatically. "i firefox" will open google image results for firefox, "w firefox" will open wikipedia results for firefox - just right click on any search field on any page and assign a code letter for future searches.

I don't know why exactly I'm writing all these, but for people who have never left IE some of these features will be like an epiphany, either Firefox or any other half decent browser.

Me the same... i am on Opera(on windows & Linux) , have the better feel with it ...besides your points listed you also have widgets with it...

My favorites about opera are . Tabbed browsing, Wand, integrated email Client , RSS Feed, it reads your emails if you don't feel reading them , Mouse gestures.

Firefox is nice and i use it too but i find Opera better .

Should try this one too,

rcm :o