Credit drain

mayojordan

Have a TrueMove tourist sim from Phuket airport, put 200 credit in few weeks ago...kept draining credit with almost no calls placed, any idea?

And it seems Facebook text is charging me weekly, anyone can help me to stop it from charging me? I have already deactivated text on Facebook. Damn...

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

you need to go wi-fi, if your model is capable. Those smartphones continually handshake, just like the Samsung Galaxy.

First thing I did when I realised, was to Disable 'packet data', and then search out where the free wi-fi areas are...whenever I wanted to go online

• Like 1

Try to disable "push" messages. "Push" advertising messages can result in charges being incurred without your knowledge or consent but may be difficult to detect if you have a pay as you go account because you wont see itemised billing. If you are only here for a short stay just buy credit in small chunks then you wont lose more than a couple of quid

Only use Wi-Fi. Ensure that your phones data services are turned off. This will be located

in ...settings-data usage -on/off...or somewhere similar if you have a smart phone. If you're

running a non smart phone that has data services available...turn it off until you need to

access the internet & when done turn it off again.

you need to go wi-fi, if your model is capable. Those smartphones continually handshake, just like the Samsung Galaxy.

First thing I did when I realised, was to Disable 'packet data', and then search out where the free wi-fi areas are...whenever I wanted to go online

I was given a present of a Samsung Fame. Over a time period of about 4 weeks it ate up 1,700 Bt. on me. It turned out my "Media data" (Internet) was switching itself on frequently. I never use it for the Internet and nobody I told about it told me that all I had to do was block the Internet capability on it and simply use Wi-Fi if I want.

• Like 1

it's never too late eh!!

I was fortunate to be able to login to the phone carriers' network and got printouts of all the 'pkt' transactions. One day late 2013, I recorded 39 'pkt's in the space of the afternoon ... some of the larger pkts were upto 900k each

Packet data OFF ever since...

Go to a service center and tell them. Sometimes there are apps on the phone which can cause expensive calls. Or some special SMS. Let TrueMove stop all advertising to and from your phone. TrueMove is aware of the problem and will help you. That's my experience.

Myself I have tried three times to get true to stop sending me ads on a daily basis it's impossible to stop them.they just say we have stopped and everything stays the same two or three a day.

No one seems to understand what I said in the OP, I said I turned off DATA ever since I got here in Phuket, only use Wifi occasionally, clearly it's the operator draining my credit, not my phone. Been a smartphone user for almost 10 years since the first Windows Mobile...

I had this exact issue last year also with a truemove sim card. I rang the service centre and was surprised how efficient they were. Apparently I was signed up for a nice ring tone when somebody called me at 10 baht a pop. As I explained I didn't sign or agree to anything so they must have put in on. But call the very helpful call centre or visit the truemove shop and they will sort it out...choc Dee..

My young son started out with a True pre-paid sim, and had the same problem. In true Thai logic, the girl tried to first convince me that it must be overseas calls. My eleven year old son? With just a few baht in his card? Then suggested other options, all with the same refutable logic. I gave up ... as hoped.

No problem with his current number, also True, so I was never any the wiser with regard to the original credit issue.

No one seems to understand what I said in the OP, I said I turned off DATA ever since I got here in Phuket, only use Wifi occasionally, clearly it's the operator draining my credit, not my phone. Been a smartphone user for almost 10 years since the first Windows Mobile...

You made NO mention of either turning off DATA or knowing to do so in your OP.

[...]

...kept draining credit with almost no calls placed, any idea?

And it seems Facebook text is charging me weekly, anyone can help me to stop it from charging me? I have already deactivated text on Facebook. Damn...
Any help is appreciated.

Facebook text is charging you weekly? You've already deactivated text on Facebook?

Personally I can see why everyone misunderstood your OP.

First most common cause for draining credit is having DATA active on a smartphone.

Second is probably receiving unwanted SMS messages from info services that sign up your account automagically (fraudulent signup)

Third is having the carrier automagically or accidentally sign you up for an add-on package.

Forth is having them steal the credit outright and then have no idea what you're talking about.

Using True iService might give you more insight into how your TrueMove H account is set up and being billed.

• Like 1

Many apps send messages and data in the background (for example the Avast mobile security includes an anti theft feature that will send a sms if set to do so) making sure these do not send data and texts often help. I had the same problem visiting the uk, my phone was sending messages to the Thai number and was charging my UK sim for the message.

Why not get a cheap data package, I think AIS have one for B199 that covers social media for a month.

Not quite not social media, but it does cover Facebook.

However he got a True SIM.

He can get a free AIS sim and change over, he only put B 200 in and his credit was depleted. There is also the B 399 option thats unlimited 3G/GPRS.

If you used Internet before and do not top it up just top up your calls then that's the problem.

Dtac for example let me use Internet at 128kbs but usage is paid from my "calls credit" money.

Everytime I return to Thailand I have working Internet but is using my credit until I pay Internet separately.

Many "add on services" that cost money don't use data. As mentioned above, ringtones is one. People calling you get to hear music etc (while you won't notice unless you call yourself from a different line) These can be pretty expensive.

I've found DTAC to be more "english-capable" than True (but both are better than AIS)