Australia Post to shakeup letter delivery costs

webfact

Australia Post to shakeup letter delivery costs
Alana Schetzer

MELBOURNE: -- Australia Post managing director Ahmed Fahour said the changes meant the business represents a shift from "a letters business to a parcel business".

Australians will be forced to pay more for 'regular' mail delivery as part of a shake-up of Australia Post's dwindling letters service.

Managing director Ahmed Fahour announced the changes on the back of the business announcing today its mail division lost a record $328.4 million in 2013-14.

He said without the "urgent reform", Australia Post would have to ask the federal government for taxpayer support.

There will be three options - regular, priority and express - that customers will be able to choose from. Priority delivery will occur five days a week, for a fee, while regular delivery will occur one to two days after priority.

Customers can choose their preference by the type and cost of a stamp.

The cost of a stamp - 70 cents - is amongst the cheapest in the world but does not cover the cost of the service, he said.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/australia-post-to-shakeup-letter-delivery-costs-20140904-10c9ig.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-09-04

Some of the post offices I have been to in Australia need new staff. Some of the old biddies running them think they are doing u a favour by serving you.

Franchise them or put them on commission.

But given a choice of a cost effective courier over a Australia post service point I'd take the courier.

Australia Post attitudes are from the last century.

Sounds so similar to here. If the service is failing put the price up to make sure it fails. Mr Fahour is just ensuring private industry take a greater share of Australia Posts business.

• Like 2

Some of the post offices I have been to in Australia need new staff. Some of the old biddies running them think they are doing u a favour by serving you.

But given a choice of a cost effective courier over a Australia post service point I'd take the courier.

Sounds so similar to here. If the service is failing put the price up to make sure it fails. Mr Fahour is just ensuring private industry take a greater share of Australia Posts business.

Yes agree, also STOP the 2 million dollar donation to the Muslim Mosque.

And reduce Fahour's 4 million dollar per year salary.

• Like 2

Australia's cost of living has gone to the dogs there long time ago, nothing is free any more,

every thing cots money and more money for same or less service we use to get it for free..

so no wonder the post is putting prices up, the customer always ends up footing the bill

and this is why nothing is being made in Australia any longer, all gone outside and the

country was sold to the Arabs and Chinese.....

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand this statement.

The cost of a stamp - 70 cents - is amongst the cheapest in the world but does not cover the cost of the service, he said.

So the stamp cost 70 cents to print. <deleted>. These people must think we are stupid.

rethaier, on 04 Sept 2014 - 18:41, said:

Let me see if I understand this statement.

So the stamp cost 70 cents to print. <deleted>. These people must think we are stupid.

Bit short on thinking aren't we.

Quite a lot of them were Franchised several years ago but you ARE RIGHT about the attitudes of some of the "Old Biddies" running them. Slow, Arrogant and Expressionless.

probably the ones that Centrelink rejected for staff

It seems the revised services may be an extension of the recently launched Pension stamp service, which all works around the weight of each letter.

The pension stamp is 10 cents cheaper than the standard non-concession stamp. A heavier letter, in the next tier up, uses 2 stamps etc etc

But in all, letters owuld be treated as though lighter weight parcels (which explains why the letters will take longer to be sent and received.

Edited by tifino

I got a delivery from NSW to Perth by courier for $35. Aus Post wanted $100 ! Why would anybody use them for parcels ?

There ya go!

Fahour said parcels are the go!

But just one example blows him away.

Yes it was privatised but I think some attitudes from way back still prevail.

I must say that there was a younger lady serving at a Goldcoast PO that was most helpful to me. So some in Aust Post are trying to keep it going despite the boss trying to shut it down.

Australia post should sell to DHL ,who do a great job in Europe with the mail,Australia post should get rid of their subcontractor hierarchy, who tend to deliver the mail when they feel like it, if you complain about them your mail mysteriously gets returned to sender, stamped not known at this address, not to mention their price scales,there is no comparison with any where else in the world, but thatis Australia for you!!

The Royal Mail in the U.K are becoming a parcel delivery service.

This is because of the changing world, folks are on the internet and many are ordering goods online, then the poor postman has to deliver the parcel ordered online.

When was the last time you wrote out by hand a letter on proper writing paper, folded it , place it in an envelope and posted it, by hand .

Ahmed fahour.. What the.........what boat did he come on...

There are many, many more like Ahmed fahour, fabphil. Half the Middle East now call Australia home as everywhere the yanks go to war Australia follows and eventually resettles all the refugees in Australia that the conflict has created.

Australia Post has been going down-hill rapidly ever since it was privatised some years back. The folks most affected will be those living in the bush who do not have access to the Internet. For them the weekly visit to the Post Office was a social event.

Cheap shots by all, obviously many short sighted people here, the times are a changing and most people want to stay in the dark ages, have you guys heard of email? 75% of all my bills etc are in that form now and most of that has been business driven...you know...save costs on postage, well we do pay a lot for internet so its dam obvious where the lost revenue of Aust Post has gone.

And i cant see anything worng with the new proposal of a reposition of the brand that was once a pure letter delivery, i mean if the guy can keep the business going saving jobs etc he could be worth his wage.

As for his 4 million wage, i think its excessive for sure but then i think most CO's are over paid, something wrong with the system when these guys can earn so much while the rest of us are the new working poor.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ahmed fahour.. What the.........what boat did he come on...

thats only one ! you want to see who runs some of these Post Offices I thought I was in Mumbai buying a stamp and the pace they work at I could have printed a stamp faster

Like all government departments in Australia. They are supposed to be PUBLIC SERVANTS but these overpaid employees have a reverse mind set. We are there to serve them and don't dare argue. I am experiencing this at the moment. One of the other problems is that most of the acts, social services, immigration etc., leave too much up to the arbitrary decision of the individual officer and depending whether he had a shitty day or not affects this decision not to mention a lack of knowledge of the particular act. How the head of a government department can receive millions in salary when he is incompetant as shown by Mr.Fahor's statement is unbelievable

Australia Post needs a good clean-up in all its corners.

Ahmed Fahour as its Head might be a security problem.

$4.7 M pa is not warranted for the job if it is still a Gov't institution (?).

Plans of mail delivery every second day is not an improvement of Australian Post.

Plans of sacking 900 postmen will not improve Australian Post.

Donation of $2 M to Muslim museum in Australia is either politics (dubious?) or direct result of Ahmed Fahour appointment.

Unless Australia Post has changed the uniform for their postmen just like 90% of taxi drivers did in the past years.

Yes, I mean the 'chalma' - the Muslim headdress.

Edited by ABCer

Aust Post is a Government Business Enterprise. After his appointment, Ahmed Fahour transformed Aust Post from previous annual losses to profit. His remuneration package would be based upon achieving financial and operational objectives set by the Board.

Besides his other roles, he is on the Board of Carlton Football Club & a Christian Educational organisation. Also highly educated and experienced business leader with executive roles with Boston Consulting Group, US & Oz banking companies. All in all suggest he has contributed a damn sight more to Australia than bigoted posters in this topic.

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/executive-profiles.html