Sending money from Australia to Thailand (cheapest and best way)

Hi guys

Im coming over to Thailand for a month and have figured its better to send money upfront rather than withdrawing from the ATM every so often.

Can anyone advise the best service/way to do this, or any other alternatives...?

Edited by bizzle

Bring cash..then you can find the best money exchange rate at the time. The bank rate sucks and the money exchangers are numerous and compete for your cash.

Thx guys

Ok so just bring cash and change as I need at the money exchangers...?

When you say money exchangers, do you mean chaps on the street or the booths? I ask because I'll be going to phuket so trying to find out what to look for there

I don't know about Phuket. I suspect that money changers there may not be as wonderfully efficient, honest and straightforward as Bangkok and larger cities, given that many things (tuk-tuks, taxis, jet skis, police) in Phuket seem a little less than honest and straightforward than elsewhere. If you are in Bangkok at all, do it there. Or hope some Phuket resident can suggest a reliable money-changer.

But even changing your foreign money in the banks in Thailand is a much better rate than the exchange rates in banks in Australia (or Britain or most western countries). And don't change in the bank branches in the Thai airports. Just get enough cash changed to last for a day or two then head for a bank the next day.

• Like 1

Don't forget that if you want to take more than $10,000 Australian through Customs you must declare it at whichever Australian Airport you are using,otherwise if they ,( Customs) find it you will lose the lot and probably be fined as well.

Have fun in Thailand.

Don't forget to change a little bit in Aussie maybe $100 for travel expenses cabs or bus fares and maybe a meal

Don't change any money to Baht in Aus the exchange rate stinks

ANZ or the money exchanges make a bundle out of unsuspecting tourists

Go to any bank counter when you arrive at air port in Thailand

• Like 1

Don't forget to change a little bit in Aussie maybe $100 for travel expenses cabs or bus fares and maybe a meal

Don't change any money to Baht in Aus the exchange rate stinks

ANZ or the money exchanges make a bundle out of unsuspecting tourists

Go to any bank counter when you arrive at air port in Thailand

Ok thanks guys, Ill keep all the advice in mind

Perhaps Ill ask in the Phuket forum for a recommendation.

I agree with the comments above - don't buy Baht in Australia, if you do, you'll get ripped off. ANZ at Melbourne Airport give a terrible rate and add $8 (last time I glanced at them) for the pleasure of talking with them. It's very easy to change $A in Thailand and even the airport rate will be heaps better than any rate you'll get from a bank in Australia.

I normally bring some cash for short tips, but I also bring a Citibank card which I use at ATMs. Citibank don't charge fees on this card, and - unlike the big 4 Aussie banks - don't mark up the Visa exchange rate, so it's OK. I still have to pay the Thai bank's B150 charge, but I like the security of knowing that if something happens to my cash, I have this backup. And the B150 fee is relatively minor on a larger (say B20,000) withdrawal. By the way, I never accept the Thai ATM offer of charging my account in $A rather than Baht, because (with this particular card) I know Citibank will give me a better exchange rate than the Thai bank.

A way of reducing the costs of changing cash is to use the right credit card for purchases, and thus minimise the need for cash.

Both the Citibank card and the GE 28 degrees card offer good exchange rates for purchases, so I use these for hotels etc. I avoid using most of the credit cards issued by the major Aussie banks, which in the past have charged me large fees for international transactions (Commonwealth Bank I'm talking to you).

As for other methods, travellers' cheques used to be a great option, but they're becoming difficult to buy in Australia, and more expensive to exchange in Thailand, so are now sadly just about consigned to history.

Edited by dundas