Passport Renewal

Guest StephenB

Guest StephenB

Hi there has anybody been though a Passport renewal when they have a 1-"O" Year visa in the soon to be expireing passport they would like to keep? Does the Passport renewal agency take the page out and put in the new one or do you just take your new passport and expired passport when arriveing back to Thaialnd.

28 American with "O" Non - Imm.

Thanks

Take both passports back to Thailand. No problem entering the country. Soon after arrival back in Thailand go to the nearest Immigration Office and they'll transfer the old visa into the new book with a series of stamps. No pages are taken out or anything so drastic. There's not an official charge for doing this but the woman who did mine asked for 200 baht and no receipt.

Hi there has anybody been though a Passport renewal when they have a 1-"O" Year visa in the soon to be expireing passport they would like to keep? Does the Passport renewal agency take the page out and put in the new one or do you just take your new passport and expired passport when arriveing back to Thaialnd.
The office issuing your new passport can do nothing about your visa for Thailand except make sure that the page containing the visa does not get cancelled in your old passport. An old passport usually gets cancelled by holes being punched into it or a corner being cut off. Fold the page with the visa in half, and in a covering letter to the passport office request that that particular page not be cancelled.

The Thai immigration office, I read in recent topic (can’t find it now), does not transfer a visa (stamp or sticker put there by a Thai consulate) from the old passport to the new passport but it will, upon request, transfer an extension-of-stay stamp. I don’t know whether they also transfer a multiple re-entry permit, but seeing that this is also a stamp put there by Immigration, they might. Use this form to apply. Free of charge.

--------------

Maestro

The office issuing your new passport can do nothing about your visa for Thailand except make sure that the page containing the visa does not get cancelled in your old passport. An old passport usually gets cancelled by holes being punched into it or a corner being cut off. Fold the page with the visa in half, and in a covering letter to the passport office request that that particular page not be cancelled.

The Thai immigration office, I read in recent topic (can’t find it now), does not transfer a visa (stamp or sticker put there by a Thai consulate) from the old passport to the new passport but it will, upon request, transfer an extension-of-stay stamp. I don’t know whether they also transfer a multiple re-entry permit, but seeing that this is also a stamp put there by Immigration, they might. Use this form to apply. Free of charge.

--------------

Maestro

I got my new passport in Bangkok and went straight to immigration in Suan Plu and got the visa transfered to my new passport (Stamped Copy) they will then staple your passports together untill your visa runs out in your old passport and you obtain a new one in your new passport.

Easy Peezy!

angie

I got my new passport in Bangkok and went straight to immigration in Suan Plu and got the visa transfered to my new passport (Stamped Copy) they will then staple your passports together untill your visa runs out in your old passport and you obtain a new one in your new passport.
Something like a reference in your new passport to the visa in your old passport, is it? Good to know that Immigration does this.

--------------

Maestro

• 1 year later...
Guest StephenB

Thanks All, I took care of this earlier this year and here is how it went-

As I am always a bit confused; I managed to get my 1 year renewal at the same time as I changed to a new Passport (as my old one was near expiration).

The details-

I applied for a 1 year extension at Suan Plu in Sathorn and everything went ok, as I was giving the usual stamp telling me to return in 4 weeks to see if my application was approved. That same day I went to my Embassy to applied for a new passport.

4 weeks or so later-

I went to my Embassy early in the morning to pick up my new passport, they punched some holes in the old one like you said, and gave me a paper requesting that Thai Immigration transfer my visa to the new passport. I then headed to Immigration Office in Sathorn and picked up a form (again just like you said) to fill out, also I had to make some more copy's of stuff (passport , visa pages). You then go to the usual room with all the officers in it to hear your case/application. Go to the first desk right when you walk into that big room/area. Paper clip your passports together with all your papers you now have, and take a queue - 1 number you keep and the other number (same number) gets paper clipped to your stuff. Then put it in the basket with all the others. Here is where it gets tricky, the officer who is working very hard (truthfully) with all the stamping right there will routinely take out all the passports with lots of papers in them and put them on the side, and leave them on the side while she just does the passports with no paper attached. You may think you did something wrong and wonder if your at the wrong place, but be patient, (3 hours or more patient) because when she finishes with the single passports she does the ones with all the papers like mine attached at the end. I was getting nervous that I wasted the whole day and was "at the wrong queue" so to speak but in the end it was mission accomplished. One more thing don't forget about the re-entry permit. I got my new passport with my new 1 year extension without a total disaster like- "Good luck for you, if you leave the Kingdom make a new visa a try again" (which has happened to me in the past for forgetting to get that bloody re-entry permit one time). haha -- boy did I feel stupid!

nice!