Restrictions in getting rid of a car

I'm not sure what sub forum this should be under as it covers different issues, so I'll put it in here for the start.

I was talking with a friend the other evening, an Australian who is now back in Australia after being in Thailand for several years. During his time here he had his work permit and extensions of stay (teacher), met a girl, got married and had a kid. During the relationship he got a car and started paying monthly installments on it.

Anyway, the relationship turned bad, the wife threw him out and he went back to Australia. His intention is primarily to return to Thailand to visit the kid, with the second reason to try and get rid of the car which he is still making payments on. He will be coming in on either a tourist visa or visa exemption.

The question is, where does he stand getting anything done with the car on these visa options?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He can do it with any visa or entry. What he uses for entry will depend upon how long he plans on staying.

He will need a certificate of residency to sell the car if it is in his name.

OK, Cheers Joe, I will pass that onto him.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the car / finance isn't in his name then he can kiss the car goodbye and just stop paying the finance.

As I understand it, the paperwork is in his name, hence his reasoning for wanting to get rid of it.

If the car / finance isn't in his name then he can kiss the car goodbye and just stop paying the finance.

As I understand it, the paperwork is in his name, hence his reasoning for wanting to get rid of it.

Its not how I understand it. Nowhere does it mention the car or finance is in his name just that he had a work pemit as a teacher. How many teachers here do you know with a truck on finance in their name ?

I just read it as he wants to come back and try and recoup something. Lets wait and hear from the OP wink.png

Its not how I understand it. Nowhere does it mention the car or finance is in his name just that he had a work pemit as a teacher. How many teachers here do you know with a truck on finance in their name ?

I just read it as he wants to come back and try and recoup something. Lets wait and hear from the OP wink.png

I know about 7 teachers with cars on finance in their own name. Myself included!

• Like 1

Hm, you are replying to the OP, and telling the OP here to wait for the OP. Huh?

There are cases BTW where a judge awarded the car to the foreigner, even though name on the registration was of the Thai. A search here may help you find that.

I know the guy in question. The car is on finance in his name.

That was my situation exactly. Last year. You can probably still even find my post, [classifieds] here trying to sell the car under this user name.

But as someone mentioned, teachers rarely get that kind of financing of the bat. I did but it was an effort and involved and with some degree of pressure to get my gf to co-sign the financing docs as guarantor or just as a 'thai person of interest' to the finance company. I resisted which caused some domestic issues incidental to this topic.

However, your friend may well have her name on the paperwork and if so he should go to the finance company and see about moving the entire contract to her, or just removing his name. They will probably want the whole thing just PIF, so in that case, i would go back to the dealership, as they tend to be helpful and see about organising paper work for the sale. He should know the residual balance and I would think he would do well to present the car on this site and also and at the dealership in an effort to terminate his responsibilities for the balance of payments.

He needed the school's help initially to get the finance approved so now living abroad he is creating possible status issues selling against his credit responsibilities.

But i had the same issues and returned promptly, three months, and sold it if for finance payments at the dealership once i had secured a buyer. 13000 kms brand new. Almost brought it back to Aus but that is another story.

• Like 1

I just read it as he wants to come back and try and recoup something. Lets wait and hear from the OP

I am not a teacher, but am working here in Thailand and paying finance for a car. In my name. So I don't see the problem for teachers to be able to do it.

As far as I am aware, the person mentioned in the OP wants to get rid of the burden of paying the finance on his car as he is no longer in the country. The question in the OP was asking what rights he would have, or rather restrictions he might encounter if he entered the country on either a visa exempt or a tourist visa.

The purchase of the car and finance were done when he had his work permit and extension of stay.