Thanks to UbonJoe

Also now understand terms better now (I think)

Can get Non-b working or non-o marriage Visa then get extension to stay based on work permit.

Retirement visa category then extension to stay based on retirement and adequate income.

Certainly can. Non O 90 day "Visa" ,based either on marriage or retirement is the proper terminology. Then you get the "Extension" for the one you qualify for.

Conversion of a Visa exempt "Stamp" or tourist "Visa" is possible at only some Immigration offices, in Thailand.

Extensions of stays can be done in Thailand at Immigration Offices. Visas are done (except this conversion we are talking about) outside of Thailand at a Consulate or an Embassy. Note that Immigration Offices are not Consulates and are not Embassies. (Thank you Ubon Joe)

The Retirement "Visa" is a different animal then what we are talking about. That is done outside of Thailand...period. Specifically, at a consulate/embassy in your Country of Residence. Now you understand why terminology is critical.

In Udon Thai, I was turned down for both. The Retirement Visa must be done in country of residence. The Non O based on Retirement/Marriage can be done in Bangkok, Pattaya, and (unless I am turned down here) Chiang Mai. The Non O 90 day can also be done in neighboring Consulates...if you have documentation...as the poster had. It is quite clear.

And yes...Ubon Joe has never been wrong on this. I have asked many times...and he replied confirming it.

I have one further question.....for Ubon Joe, should he reply. I do not have 21 days left on my tourist visa. Can I still convert to a 90 day non 0 based on retirement if I do it on a 30 day extension of my current tourist vis?. Specifically, in Chiang Mai? If not, then I will not extend and will go to Savannakhet for the same 90 day O based on retirement. (Best chance). Then get the one year Retirement...""Extension"" here in Chiang Mai.

Has anybody done a conversion in Udon???? Ever???

Edited by slipperylobster

I have one further question.....for Ubon Joe, should he reply. I do not have 21 days left on my tourist visa. Can I still convert to a 90 day non 0 based on retirement if I do it on a 30 day extension of my current tourist vis?. Specifically, in Chiang Mai? If not, then I will not extend and will go to Savannakhet for the same 90 day O based on retirement. (Best chance). Then get the one year Retirement...""Extension"" here in Chiang Mai.

The requirement is 15 days remaining on your entry now not 21. Chiang Mai can do the conversion based upon qualifying for a retirement extension. Chiang Mai has been reported as doing them with less than 15 days.

Marriage can only be done in Bangkok.

Udon does not do them. I don't think there is anywhere up here in the Isaan that does them. They tell people to go to Vientiane or Bangkok.

• Like 1

What does Non-O mean since it applies to based marriage and retirement?

Can get work permit on Non-O marriage.

A Non-O based on retirement you can get at any consulate.

A non-o? Retirement Visa must get in home country.

Correct?

How does a Retirement Visa and Non-o based on retirement different in requirement/function?

Can I retire in Thailand with either retirement visa and later find work and convert to Non-B?

I am 54 and meet the eligibility requirements but not yet ready to retire. But consider it if I could later work.

I have thought about retiring and volunteering but that also requires a "work permit'.

Granting Visa for volunteers could be open to abuse. Be nice if easy for retired people to volunteer legally.

Simple explanations on TV Visa and Siam legal. Two different Visas. Number 1 Retirement Visa done in home country. There should be no confusion. Number 2 Non O 90 day can get one year extension. Done in any consulate or you can convert your visa exempt (or tourist visa) at some immigration offices in Thailand. Not all.

1. Non O-A Retirement Visa (Done in Home Country) http://www.thaivisa.com/retirement-non-imm-oa-visa.html

2. Non O 90 day ) http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/90-Day-Thailand-Visa.php

"The 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa is issued to foreigners who wish to enter Thailand for study, business, investment, retirement and other purposes. This type of visa is valid for use for 90 days from the date of issue. The holder of this visa is also given a period of 90 days stay inside Thailand and can be extended for 7 days.

Furthermore, this type of visa grants the holder the option to convert to a 1-Year Non-Immigrant visa stay (i.e. work visa, marriage visa, retirement etc) which can be processed and obtained inside Thailand"

I think we almost got this nailed now....

The requirement is 15 days remaining on your entry now not 21. Chiang Mai can do the conversion based upon qualifying for a retirement extension. Chiang Mai has been reported as doing them with less than 15 days.

Marriage can only be done in Bangkok.

Udon does not do them. I don't think there is anywhere up here in the Isaan that does them. They tell people to go to Vientiane or Bangkok.

Just went to immigration to convert my tourist visa to 90 day non O. The man behind the information counter shuffled all my well organized papers around, and said "21 days, 21 days...no time left!". I knew I was late (had only 11 days left on the tourist visa, as I was very ill for 7 days). I just tried it anyways.

He did let me do a 30 day extension, and told me to write on the extension request that I would be converting to the Non O when I was down to 21 days left on the extension. The 30 day extension was, as usual, no problem. Anyways, good to know I could get the extension, and then still apply for conversion.

Just before I left, after I got my extension. I checked again, and he just kept saying 21. I guess he does not know yet about the change to 15 days left.

This was in Chiang Mai. I thought it very odd that this office was so small. I actually felt sorry for the employees...and there was standing room only...for applicants. This, after 3 years in Udon....very updated there, and quick.