Raining in upper Thailand not going away just yet

Lite Beer

Raining in upper Thailand not going away just yet

BANGKOK, 6 September 2014 (NNT) - The flood-stricken areas in northern provinces are unlikely to see an improvement over the weekend, as the strong monsoon trough covering the upper part of Thailand is expected to contribute to continued raining.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chatchai Phromloet asserted that the state has already put in place flood mitigation measures such as the dredging of canals and the elimination of water hyacinth from waterways. He said he was confident the 2010 floods will not be repeated this year.

The Meteorological Department reports that 60-70% of upper Thailand will experience raining, while heavy raining is expected in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun in the Northern Region. Around a dozen provinces in the Northeast will also experience heavy rain.

A low pressure trough in the South China Sea is projected to move closer to Vietnam's coast by tomorrow or Monday, and this will result in an increase in rainfall in Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-06 footer_n.gif

Anecdotally, I heard that the rainfall in Bangkok is only half what it normally is at this time of year. Are there any websites with data to confirm or disprove that?

The Thai Met Office website does give comparisons but not sure if it will cover what you want.

Anecdotally, I heard that the rainfall in Bangkok is only half what it normally is at this time of year. Are there any websites with data to confirm or disprove that?

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/ReportsGenMetnet/Daily/DailyObserved7AM-en.pdf

It is true that this year rained much less especially in May, June and July. But August received abundant rainfall all over Thailand. September and October are going to be wet because these months are usually receive a lot of rainfall. Floods still can happen. It depends on how much will rain.

It looks from the map provided by otherstuff1957 in post 8 that the majority of Thailand has received less rain than normal since Jan 1.

However won't all the extra rain received to date to the other areas drain through the river system all the way down and through Bangkok?

Who gives a shit,,,It's the wet season you have to expect rain,,,Sometimes more,,sometime a lot more.

Here you go: This map from the TMD shows the difference from average for the accumulated rainfall from Jan 1 to today:

DepRAIN1Jan050914.gif

So, the problem is not the amount of rainfall, it's the distribution of the rainfall!

Many, many thanks for this, and your research, and for posting. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

It looks from the map provided by otherstuff1957 in post 8 that the majority of Thailand has received less rain than normal since Jan 1.

However won't all the extra rain received to date to the other areas drain through the river system all the way down and through Bangkok?

I believe the rain that has fallen in the far northeast corner of Isaan and the eastern area around Ubon Ratchatani, drains into the Mekong systeml.

The waters in the blue areas in the far north will eventually find their way down to the Chao Phraya at Nakhon Sawan.

xDepRAIN1Jan050914.gif.pagespeed.ic.47hi

• Like 1

I didn't know this until my wife told me to-day.Apparently Thai's believe floods are brought about by"invisible forces" or bad Feng Shui. Last years floods were brought about by Yingluck's lack of Feng Shui and therefore she was solely responsible for the invisible forces which brought about the devastation. Many Thai's clearly thought Yingluck as Prime Minister was bad luck.Lets hope lightening doesn't strike twice.whistling.gif

Edited by Brian Corrigan
  • Like 1

According to the Bangkok Post, some of the flooding is due to the Chinese increasing the rate of release from one of their dams by 900 percent. Maybe Thailand can give some of those Chinese a free visa to come and see the flooding they're causing.

I think it's not so important how much Bangkok get. The problem is the water in the north and east that come down to the sea. To protect Bangkok they will close the locks again and release the water slowly through the channels to the Bangkok area. Like last time they release so much as low water from the sea can absorb.

How long and how much depend on the moon. The story from the pumps is one big lie. The numbers of water that is pumped out is maybe just 25% of what they claim in the TV and reports. But pumping water is big business and looks good as PR stunt.

I didn't know this until my wife told me to-day.Apparently Thai's believe floods are brought about by"invisible forces" or bad Feng Shui. Last years floods were brought about by Yingluck's lack of Feng Shui and therefore she was solely responsible for the invisible forces which brought about the devastation. Many Thai's clearly thought Yingluck as Prime Minister was bad luck.Lets hope lightening doesn't strike twice.whistling.gif

That is the sort of nonsense that keeps people from evolving as intelligent human beings.

Blame the spirits, it must be their fault!!! Something bad couldn't possibly be the fault of a Thai or physics. Heaven forbid. From floods, to downed jets, to the General's...er... PM's ill health, blame it on ghosts and magic.

Lucky for them, there is a solution... call in the monks and hit the temple! It's tham bun time!

• Like 1

Rainfall in Northern Thailand is only a part of the story. The Mekong River is 2700 miles long, running from Yunnan Province in China, down through Myanmar, Laos and Thailand. Some of the past floods have happened because the flow is regulated by huge dams upstream, with little or no regard for the people down below. The Chinese have built about 17 dams for hydro electricity and fresh water and they regulate the flow according to the rainfall THEY are receiving. Therefore when Yunnan and the lower countries receive high rainfall at the same time, which is common because they often share the same weather patterns, additional flow in the Mekong can make a small flood into a disaster like 2008.

We'll all be thinking differently about water soon, there is not enough to go around and that's getting worse. I foresee wars in the future over water rights..... You can't drink oil!

Rainfall in Northern Thailand is only a part of the story. The Mekong River is 2700 miles long, running from Yunnan Province in China, down through Myanmar, Laos and Thailand. Some of the past floods have happened because the flow is regulated by huge dams upstream, with little or no regard for the people down below. The Chinese have built about 17 dams for hydro electricity and fresh water and they regulate the flow according to the rainfall THEY are receiving. Therefore when Yunnan and the lower countries receive high rainfall at the same time, which is common because they often share the same weather patterns, additional flow in the Mekong can make a small flood into a disaster like 2008.

We'll all be thinking differently about water soon, there is not enough to go around and that's getting worse. I foresee wars in the future over water rights..... You can't drink oil!

I agree. I remember watching a serious documentary on BBC, some years ago in which it speculated on the number of flashpoints in the world where water would/could be the flashpoint for major wars. the Middle East stands out in my mind but many other areas were also highlighted. xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU.png

According to the Bangkok Post, some of the flooding is due to the Chinese increasing the rate of release from one of their dams by 900 percent. Maybe Thailand can give some of those Chinese a free visa to come and see the flooding they're causing.

900% ????

To help you. It was 9000 cubic meter

Here you go: This map from the TMD shows the difference from average for the accumulated rainfall from Jan 1 to today:

DepRAIN1Jan050914.gif

So, the problem is not the amount of rainfall, it's the distribution of the rainfall!

How do you get - 500 mm of rain???

Is that not a drought whistling.gif

Who gives a shit,,,It's the wet season you have to expect rain,,,Sometimes more,,sometime a lot more.

Another useless post with no respect. So floods and flooding in the US, UK and Europe don't make the news?