Building a house for the family

Sealhead

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

Quick question,

I am just about to retire in Issan with my wife and a couple of small kids.

We already have a home that we built a few years ago with my wife supervising and me watching from afar. A lot of emailed photos and quite a few problems with some of the builders we used.The end product turned out really well but it was a frustrating struggle and cost more than it should have to get it all done. I'm sure if you've built you know the story.

What I would like to do in a couple of months is build another home to western standards and sell it. I have built a number of homes in my own country as a general contractor and did very well from it.

If I do this how involved am I allowed to be? Would I be allowed to be hands on and work with the teams or can I just watch? Can I give direction directly, through my wife indirectly or will I only be able to stand in the background and secretly comment on what I want done?

The property will be in my wife's name but I will be the atm of course.

I don't want to break any laws but I really enjoy this kind of work and like getting my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

In answer to your question....you are not allowed to do any job that a Thai can do, which involves everything.

Thats why almost all working farangs in Thailand are English teachers.

HL

Yet the reality is I daily had my Policeman come round to see whilst I was laying my own block my own roof tiles my own tiling, every day he cam and gave me the thumbs up for a good job sometimes bringing me some fried bananas before downing an oishi outta my fridge................. rules versus reality.

I though some local bloke (immigration type) recently said we could do this//???

Great idea......

See http://www.alanthebuilder.com/ , so Yes it can be done.

As was pointed out so far about the Thai attitude is correct. A Thai/Falang couple might purchase a small house at a local Moo Baan, but when it comes to an expensive house, well they will want to choose the land, they will want to choose the design and they will want to choose the materials.

First and foremost is the location will be near the wife's village.

From Allan's web page "However due to the growth and demand of our company services, we are unable to carry out the smaller jobs anymore ( Unless they are within the Surin / Isaan Areas of Thailand )", so there is room for competition.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

In answer to your question....you are not allowed to do any job that a Thai can do, which involves everything.

Thats why almost all working farangs in Thailand are English teachers.

HL

Yet the reality is I daily had my Policeman come round to see whilst I was laying my own block my own roof tiles my own tiling, every day he cam and gave me the thumbs up for a good job sometimes bringing me some fried bananas before downing an oishi outta my fridge................. rules versus reality.

I though some local bloke (immigration type) recently said we could do this//???

Probably an official who doesn't know the rules OR you are eyed up as a future "drinking" buddy......whistling.gif

• Like 2

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

Quick question,

I am just about to retire in Issan with my wife and a couple of small kids.

We already have a home that we built a few years ago with my wife supervising and me watching from afar. A lot of emailed photos and quite a few problems with some of the builders we used.The end product turned out really well but it was a frustrating struggle and cost more than it should have to get it all done. I'm sure if you've built you know the story.

What I would like to do in a couple of months is build another home to western standards and sell it. I have built a number of homes in my own country as a general contractor and did very well from it.

If I do this how involved am I allowed to be? Would I be allowed to be hands on and work with the teams or can I just watch? Can I give direction directly, through my wife indirectly or will I only be able to stand in the background and secretly comment on what I want done?

Ever played Chinese whispers? The Thai version is even funnier. Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

His darling (and her family) will want the opportunity to skim from his own build.

Sounds like you didn't chose your darling very well.

I'm not daft enough to try and build or buy a house in rural Issan.

Bought my house in CM, from a developer, who published his prices in Thai only. Paid the same as everyone else.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

His darling (and her family) will want the opportunity to skim from his own build.

Bought my house in CM, from a developer, who published his prices in Thai only. Paid the same as everyone else.

Just daft enough to buy it in a faring ghetto. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I'm not daft enough to buy land in Thailand. Someone calls this a scam. And I'm one of them.

• Like 1

I'm not white and neither are any of the other residents on my moobaan..

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

have just completed building an aussie queensland house 100 ks from udon thani, in the bush, perfect for the hot thai climate, concrete and steel, no timber, i was involved in every stage of construction, as a 67 year old builder , carpenter, electrician, plasterer, bricklayer, and much more, it was ,for me my finest and most difficult project that i have ever attempted, most workers had never seen the materials and tools that i used, eg nail guns, super blocks, steel roof trusses, insulation and quality aluminium windows and minimal concrete posts and quality finishes, , it is finished now and many thai people want to build the same but just do not know how, it can be done, just have patience and do not get stessed out, thais learn quickly, you just have to show them what YOU want and have good planing with willing happy workers, building costs are definately on the rise in thailand, now is the time to build, once was enough for me,just got my new hip fitted after the house party, it was not easy

But nobody will buy it.

Which is the whole point of this thread.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

have just completed building an aussie queensland house 100 ks from udon thani, in the bush, perfect for the hot thai climate, concrete and steel, no timber, i was involved in every stage of construction, as a 67 year old builder , carpenter, electrician, plasterer, bricklayer, and much more, it was ,for me my finest and most difficult project that i have ever attempted, most workers had never seen the materials and tools that i used, eg nail guns, super blocks, steel roof trusses, insulation and quality aluminium windows and minimal concrete posts and quality finishes, , it is finished now and many thai people want to build the same but just do not know how, it can be done, just have patience and do not get stessed out, thais learn quickly, you just have to show them what YOU want and have good planing with willing happy workers, building costs are definately on the rise in thailand, now is the time to build, once was enough for me,just got my new hip fitted after the house party, it was not easy

Would love to see pics of it though, a Queenslander in Thailand.... I wish.

Oz

• Like 1

But nobody will buy it.

And why is that?

But nobody will buy it.

And why is that?
It is a generalisation, but a high percentage of clients want to choose the location themselves or where the lady"s village is.

OP, have you seen many other houses sold in the desired location???

• Like 1

But nobody will buy it.

And why is that?
It is a generalisation, but a high percentage of clients want to choose the location themselves or where the lady"s village is.

OP, have you seen many other houses sold in the desired location???

I know, I pointed that out in my response above.......

I was wondering if AnotherOne American was saying nobody would buy it becuse of the price or cost. Becuse while the cost difference is marginal for a Western standard home vs. a Thai standard moo Baan home the price difference is a different story....... Dual pricing structure again! bah.gif

You would need to distance yourself completely from the building activity, if you want to do any actual physical work or supervision you would need to get a work permit (which is not easy), however it may be very difficult or impossible in this case because construction and supervision of construction is a prohibited activity for a foreigner.

Thai Government definition of work.....

Definition of work....."engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits"

The 39 occupations and professions prohibited to foreigners........

No 3. Bricklaying, carpentry, or other forms of construction

No 30. Designing and preparing drawings of buildings and architectural structures including consultation, cost estimation and construction supervision of the designs.

But reading the replies to your post it seems others have built houses here quite openly and with no problems, it must depend on whether or not the authorities in your jurisdiction actually care or not.

There is zero market for western homes in Issan villages.

You can build it, but it will never sell.

No Thai will buy it,

They trade and sell land amongst themselves and always build their own homes.

No foreigner will buy it,

Can't see anywhere it says in a village, but agree it would be difficult to sell even in a large city as the price will be too high. They do not always sell land among themselves and certainly don't usually build their own homes. Lastly what a load of dross, have you ever been to Isaan?

• Like 1