Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Heeeeeey, SNP is doing this stuff, if it were Labour I would quote Labour. Lets not go off to a tangent eh. My questions have been totally legitimate, plain and simple chap...

Money

Oil

Currency

Welfare are all relevant, well to me they are. smile.png Hey, don't fear questions if you are in the right............thumbsup.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heeeeeey, SNP is doing this stuff, if it were Labour I would quote Labour. Lets not go off to a tangent eh. My questions have been totally legitimate, plain and simple chap...

Money

Oil

Currency

Welfare are all relevant, well to me they are. smile.png Hey, don't fear questions if you are in the right............thumbsup.gif

SNP is not doing this. The scottish people are doing this. The Scottish parliament will do the mechanics needed, but this is a referendum -- not an election. Please get that straight......

Money

Oil

Currency

SNP is not doing this. The scottish people are doing this. The Scottish parliament will do the mechanics needed, but this is a referendum -- not an election. Please get that straight......

OK,........thumbsup.gif

Billy Bragg seems to agree with me.....

"Now that the English are waking up to the possibility that the Scots may leave the UK, I'm getting tired of reading articles by commentators who say they will feel sad if this happens. They need to grow up - respect for self-determination is the mark of a mature democracy.

While they get all emotional, I'm pleased to see that there are some at Westminster who recognise that the Scots have done us a huge favour by putting English devolution on the agenda."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/scottish-devolution-timetable-powers-english-regions?CMP=twt_gu

"Now that the English are waking up to the possibility that the Scots may leave the UK, I'm getting tired of reading articles by commentators who say they will feel sad if this happens. They need to grow up - respect for self-determination is the mark of a mature democracy.

While they get all emotional, I'm pleased to see that there are some at Westminster who recognise that the Scots have done us a huge favour by putting English devolution on the agenda."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/scottish-devolution-timetable-powers-english-regions?CMP=twt_gu

Good point

Yes given a chance the English would have kicked scotlands goolys a fair few years ago,but now scotland cannot accuse England of any wrongdoings now,all down to scotland Serious infighting now for scotland,good for them,if the no wins the vote they will be looked on as cowards,even Westminster will treat them like a leftover from a dogs dinner

Billy Bragg probably just wants to create more civil servants. biggrin.png

Edited by Aceicol

The value of major Scottish companies has fallen by billions of pounds after the stock market was spooked by polling giving the yes vote a lead ahead of the referendum.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/08/scottish-independence-companies-billions-of-pounds-value-loss-pro-independence-poll-lead

A while back one of the Nationalist was gleefully making predictions of an economic Armageddon to the UK in the event of separation, implying that somehow, miraculously Scotland would not be affected. Well what is happening, yes the £ has lost approximately 2% of its value against the US dollar, yet I recall reading articles a few months back in which currency traders considered the £ to have been overvalued by approx 5%, just think back one year ago, how many Bhts were you then receiving.

Will this economic uncertainty and turbulence effect everybody's mortgages,pensions savings etc, of course it will, maybe for 3 months or maybe for 18 months, who knows it's anybodies guess, yet to suggest that the Scottish people will be exempt from this upheaval is stupidity at the highest.

What is more telling is what is happening to the stock market, so far it's only gone down slightly, yet on closer analysis of the numbers it would appear that it is mostly Scottish institutions who are seeing their value plummet "why" simple because the markets do not share the nationalist view of a future Scottish economy, in fact Paul Krugman an American ( and also an unbiased observer) Noble award winning economist, says that the Scottish people should be very,very afraid of the economic consequences of separation, while Nicola Sturgeon says the markets are acknowledging the strength of the Scottish economy. Who do you believe has got it right?

• Like 1

If polls were reliable, you would expect odds of about evens on both yes and no, reflecting a 50% chance of either. Instead the odds say 2/5 for no (implying a 70% chance) and 12/5 for yes (implying a 30% chance). Why are bookmakers so certain that Scotland will say no?

The odds reflect the bets they have taken. However, much of the cash that has been laid has come from outside Scotland, from folk who don't have any say whatsoever in the matter. A bit like this thread. whistling.gif

Edited by rajyindee

A yes camp voter switches over to No...

This is why...

In short, everything that has happened in Europe since 2009 or so has demonstrated that sharing a currency without sharing a government is very dangerous. In economics jargon, fiscal and banking integration are essential elements of an optimum currency area. And an independent Scotland using Britain’s pound would be in even worse shape than euro countries, which at least have some say in how the European Central Bank is run.

I find it mind-boggling that Scotland would consider going down this path after all that has happened in the last few years. If Scottish voters really believe that it’s safe to become a country without a currency, they have been badly misled.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/opinion/paul-krugman-scots-what-the-heck.html?_r=1

Any chance of an answer by a blinkered flag waver?

Dealing a sizeable blow to pro-independence campaigners, Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of England, has said that “a currency union is incompatible with sovereignty”.

Speaking at the TUC Congress in Liverpool, Mr Carney made clear that an independent Scotland would fail to meet the criteria of a successful currency union.

A proper union would require free trade, banking union, and a fiscal backstop, he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/bank-of-england/11084339/Mark-Carney-Currency-union-is-incompatible-with-Scottish-independence.html

Any chance of an answer by a blinkered flag waver?

Scottish-Currency-issue-011.jpg

Edited by BKK Blues Brother

I know you guys are in a passionate debate, but the News here in Australia has been focused on the Vote next week.

Prime time Radio (drive time afternoon) and TV discussions (Morning Breakfast News).

So many Aussies, who may have been unaware the auspicious Vote about to be undertaken are now the wiser.

I know you guys are in a passionate debate, but the News here in Australia has been focused on the Vote next week.

Prime time Radio (drive time afternoon) and TV discussions (Morning Breakfast News).

So many Aussies, who may have been unaware the auspicious Vote about to be undertaken are now the wiser.

I'm in the UK at the moment and I can tell you now, not many people really care. Not in England at least. There's a vague passing interest at best.

What does David48 think?

I see the fiscal argument being offered for the Yes vote to based more on Hope then Fact.

Then again ... no-one has a fiscal crystal ball ... otherwise I'd be on the Tahiti Visa Forum ... rolleyes.gif

I do feel the passion of the Scots and sometimes, this passion, quite rightly outweigh the Fiscal considerations.

But, undoubtedly, for me, the right to self determination is paramount.

If there is a YES vote for Independence then I say great, the majority of the people have spoken and their voice has been heard.

My true wish is, what ever the result of the vote, it's definitive and there is no outbreaks of public unrest from the losing side.

Scotland ... go do what is best for Scotland.

• Like 1

The value of major Scottish companies has fallen by billions of pounds after the stock market was spooked by polling giving the yes vote a lead ahead of the referendum.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/08/scottish-independence-companies-billions-of-pounds-value-loss-pro-independence-poll-lead

A while back one of the Nationalist was gleefully making predictions of an economic Armageddon to the UK in the event of separation, implying that somehow, miraculously Scotland would not be affected. Well what is happening, yes the £ has lost approximately 2% of its value against the US dollar, yet I recall reading articles a few months back in which currency traders considered the £ to have been overvalued by approx 5%, just think back one year ago, how many Bhts were you then receiving.

Will this economic uncertainty and turbulence effect everybody's mortgages,pensions savings etc, of course it will, maybe for 3 months or maybe for 18 months, who knows it's anybodies guess, yet to suggest that the Scottish people will be exempt from this upheaval is stupidity at the highest.

What is more telling is what is happening to the stock market, so far it's only gone down slightly, yet on closer analysis of the numbers it would appear that it is mostly Scottish institutions who are seeing their value plummet "why" simple because the markets do not share the nationalist view of a future Scottish economy, in fact Paul Krugman an American ( and also an unbiased observer) Noble award winning economist, says that the Scottish people should be very,very afraid of the economic consequences of separation, while Nicola Sturgeon says the markets are acknowledging the strength of the Scottish economy. Who do you believe has got it right?

=================>>

I agree totally that the current sterling rates dip is much more likely to be a continuation of the trends that sterling has been set on for some time. Sterling will benefit from a yes vote and Scotland continuing to use sterling. The Scottish economy will bloom when it's road into the future is clear. Meantime the "economists" will continue to predict gloom for 2 reasons --

1. They have a reputation to keep and a negative prediction is much easier to justify when it proves to be wrong.

2. They have backed the negative option and have a vested interest in it.

Meantime the stock market putters along with no major trends showing - and that shows investor indifference to the effects of the vote either way. Close analysis of those "Scottish institutions" which are going down will reveal that the effect is for reasons other than looming independence. How many Scottish institutions are actually rising? ;)

As for the bookies, it is well-known that big money has been placed to force the odds in the direction they have gone -- again for reasons of vested interests. There's some people are going to make a killing on a Yes vote ;)

Well here is a delightful article that shows very clearly what may well happen if Scotland goes it alone.

Note though the Scots are not going it alone the remaining piece of England and its peoples are liable to pick up the bill.

However the short term may be a breeze for the Scots but long term, indeed a very bleak future socially and politically for the Scots.

The S.N.P. are indeed going to be inflicting a serious wound to themselves and the Scottish people in general in their quest for power.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11082976/Britain-faces-storm-as-giant-global-investors-awaken-to-break-up-dangers.html

• Like 2

It appears to me that the Scots lack any conviction for wanting independence. At least when the Irish expressed the same wish they set up their own currency and they had their own head of state. All we have had from Scotland is a shopping list of what they want to keep while telling us that they really do want independence.

=========================>>

The Irish had a currency long before they got independence, but always pegged to sterling. Even after independence it was pegged for many years. Scotland too had a currency but in the same way - it has been pegged to the pound and over the last 300-odd years it has been superceded. Returning to the old Scots Pund is an option, but it would probably be done with the same pegging to sterling as Ireland did before and HongKong still does today.

Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank all print banknotes anyway.

It appears to me that the Scots lack any conviction for wanting independence. At least when the Irish expressed the same wish they set up their own currency and they had their own head of state. All we have had from Scotland is a shopping list of what they want to keep while telling us that they really do want independence.

=========================>>

The Irish had a currency long before they got independence, but always pegged to sterling. Even after independence it was pegged for many years. Scotland too had a currency but in the same way - it has been pegged to the pound and over the last 300-odd years it has been superceded. Returning to the old Scots Pund is an option, but it would probably be done with the same pegging to sterling as Ireland did before and HongKong still does today.

Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank all print banknotes anyway.

Good so no need to keep the pound they can adopt their own currency and peg it to whatever you like. Also make good old Alex your head of state, what is this thing with keeping some outdated monarchy?

• Like 1