Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing is for sure, the elderly voters will remember poverty and know that all the UK's lives have changed dramatically in our day and age. I read the YES saying how the young are living in poverty, crap, ever seen a youngster without a phone in their hand. Young voters have been brought up in a "not worry" environment, always cash to help out.

The main reason half the planet wants to relocate in any part of the UK is the social security system we built up, and Scottish folk are treated nooooooo different to any other member of the Union.

If Scotland had always been on it's own it may well not have had a system as good as it is now, looking at the population size.

As an English kid, our house had the only TV in the street, looked forward to Sunday cos we had a tin of peaches for tea.

The £9000 annual fees are a big worry.......education should be free for students from poorer families.....frankly I would like to see grants reintroduced in Scotland with top up loans if necessary for some as well.

When some talk about what we fear....that is right up there......these things will destroy the hopes of many kids and we can make sure they never happen north of the border by voting YES.

Sounds great, in the UK not so long ago it was free, I assume the financial side of it didn't add up and so now "serious" students must pay towards it. When I was young loads of youngsters went on to uni for the simple reason it was free. Now only the "serious" go to uni.

Not sure what age you guys are. I'm in my early 50's.

In my school year 2 students went on to University ( I can even remember their names )

It was nothing to do with money. It was to do with ability. If you had the brains you could go on to University. If you didnt, you were going to start life at the bottom and make your up the ladder. Sure, if your family were minted, they could pay for you. If your family were on the poorer side, unless you were academically qualified, you were not going.

Somehow, we got to the place where we are today, where it is everyone's right to go to University. Utter crap. It was a method of controlling the unemployment figures of the younger generation. Just like paying the kids to stay on at school between 16 - 18.

Smokie, this is one of the points that I alluded to yesterday, when I asked what the plan was to reform Education.

I am glad you bought this up. Just a bit older in age,it was all about ability, grants were available, part time work during summer and Easter.

Discussing whether you had the money to go to university was never a discussion between my school and parents ( we lived in a council estate).

Discussion was your kid has the ability to go?

It was all about ability and frankly those who went to uni were earmarked well before the 6th form and where " suited" to university.

Agreed..what goes on today is utter crap and a waste of money.

Bit off topic..

• Like 2

blink.pngcoffee1.gif

Scotland should never have been given the opportunity to vote.

Rubbish and a fanatical viewpoint.

Every Nation has a right to self determination.

If Scotland collectively decides that it is better out of the Union ... so be it.

Fiscally, I don't see it that way ... but I'll support them 100% for their right to decide for themselves..

So 8% of the UK population should vote on something that has an massive impact on 100% of the population.

Smacks of more than favouritismrolleyes.gif

Rubbish and a fanatical viewpoint... is sat in front of a computer 24/7cheesy.gif

Mate ... up to you if you want to be sat in front of a computer 24/7 ... personally, I have a life elsewhere.

But what ever floats your boat.

BTW ... no need to personalise the debate.

If you have a point, make it fairly.

Play the Ball and not the Man ... you will get much more respect that way.

Edited by BKK Blues Brother

You could try this Scottish newspaper or rag depending on your interpretation of the fourth estate for its content.

Try the two links below.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-no-lead-in-survation-poll-1-3537639

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-s-decision-the-scotsman-s-verdict-1-3537857

Typical imbalanced reporting from the Scotsman as usual. Try to find a report on the views about the UK's national debt wink.png

I have to give you credit for one thing, you are consistent. First of all newspapers, if based in London cannot be relief upon for their balanced view, well that's how it goes if the article does not agree with the Nationalist propaganda machine. Then a poster quotes The Scotsman, a Scottish based newspaper and lo and behold, that also cannot be relied upon, "WHY" again because it does not agree with the Nationalist propaganda machine. I have yet to see a post from one of you Nationalist, where you even slightly question the views of the SNP or even slightly agree with the views coming from unbiased economic advisers who are warning you of the impending problems that will befall Scotland.

Not quite sure what you refer to, but anyone who relies on newspapers as a reliable source of information for decisions on topics like this are in bad way.

;)

You could try this Scottish newspaper or rag depending on your interpretation of the fourth estate for its content.

Try the two links below.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-no-lead-in-survation-poll-1-3537639

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-s-decision-the-scotsman-s-verdict-1-3537857

Typical imbalanced reporting from the Scotsman as usual. Try to find a report on the views about the UK's national debt wink.png
I have to give you credit for one thing, you are consistent. First of all newspapers, if based in London cannot be relief upon for their balanced view, well that's how it goes if the article does not agree with the Nationalist propaganda machine. Then a poster quotes The Scotsman, a Scottish based newspaper and lo and behold, that also cannot be relied upon, "WHY" again because it does not agree with the Nationalist propaganda machine. I have yet to see a post from one of you Nationalist, where you even slightly question the views of the SNP or even slightly agree with the views coming from unbiased economic advisers who are warning you of the impending problems that will befall Scotland.

Not quite sure what you refer to, but anyone who relies on newspapers as a reliable source of information for decisions on topics like this are in bad way.

;)

Yet YOU accept any article that agrees with the Nationalist propaganda machine, while discarding any that do not. Talk about a closed mind.

The quicker we're rid of you lot the better.

• Like 2

wink.png

Yet YOU accept any article that agrees with the Nationalist propaganda machine, while discarding any that do not. Talk about a closed mind.

The quicker we're rid of you lot the better.

I don't recall accepting anything from the newspapers' opinions

One thing is for sure, the elderly voters will remember poverty and know that all the UK's lives have changed dramatically in our day and age. I read the YES saying how the young are living in poverty, crap, ever seen a youngster without a phone in their hand. Young voters have been brought up in a "not worry" environment, always cash to help out.

The main reason half the planet wants to relocate in any part of the UK is the social security system we built up, and Scottish folk are treated nooooooo different to any other member of the Union.

If Scotland had always been on it's own it may well not have had a system as good as it is now, looking at the population size.

As an English kid, our house had the only TV in the street, looked forward to Sunday cos we had a tin of peaches for tea.

Tinned peaches? I used to dream of tinned peaches. Sadly cook would only give us the ones the gardner got from the peachery and we'd have to make do with them as the only way to follow the salmon our gillie had sent down by rail from the estate......but at least I learned some critical thinking.

Edited by wilcopops

It seems the momentum is stalling on Salmond's inability to explain how he's going to have a currency union with a country that will not let him.

Daily Record: No: 53%; Yes; 47%

The way things are going there may not be any Banks left for him to deal with! never mind there is always the Euro!

• Like 1

It seems the momentum is stalling on Salmond's inability to explain how he's going to have a currency union with a country that will not let him.

The way things are going there may not be any Banks left for him to deal with! never mind there is always the Euro!

The banks are commercial organisations and will do whatever they want to make a profit. ;)

The banks are commercial organisations and will do whatever they want to make a profit. wink.png

Yes, 3 Banks have already decided there may be more profits by leaving Scotland if there is a YES Vote!

• Like 1

The banks are commercial organisations and will do whatever they want to make a profit. wink.png

Yes, 3 Banks have already decided there may be more profits by leaving Scotland if there is a YES Vote!

Geography is not a big consideration other than to stay close to the centre where all the financial whizz kids live. In much the same way as most F1 teams are in a small area of Oxfodshire. ;) The banks are Plc's and as such are governed by UK law, in which English law has predominance, so the banks would not want to have to re-write their "rule-book" in a newly independent Scotland.

@jpinx post No 764

Are you saying the Banks are covering themselves,in the event of a YES vote?

And is'nt RBS still owned by the British Government,which would be ironic if they had to change their name!

I'm suggesting what might be reasons for them to be doing a bit of CYA-ing ;)

I believe RBoS is being split up into a "good" bank to continue to operate and a "toxic" bank to get treated in whatever way they can. There's a lot of unravelling to be done and we're not going to be able to second guess the details, but it's not a big deal. Banks come and go, merge and split, many times. Look at the shenanigans the Lloyds/TSB combo went through ;)

If the RBoS is owned by the current UK government, then it'll be in the pot of assets and liabilities which have to be wrangled over between rUK and iScotland ;)

@jpinx post No 764

And is'nt RBS still owned by the British Government,which would be ironic if they had to change their name!

RBS is considering moving south, GREAT, you might recall that the largest building society in the UK, probably the world The Halifax Building Society merged in 2001 (some would call it a take over) of the smaller Bank of Scotland forming Halifax Bank of Scotland, HBOS. What SHOULD have happened then is the new HQ SHOULD have been situated in Halifax,Yorkshire an area of high unemployment, unfortunately the government lead by Tony LIER Blair and his fellow Scotsman Gordon Bigot Brown caved in to Alex Salmonds and the SNP's demand that the new company Must be situated in the prosperous city of Edinburgh, otherwise the SNP would throw their dummies out of the pram. Now with the prospect of separation hopefully many thousands of jobs will come flooding south, maybe even to Halifax.

• Like 1

@jpinx post No 764

I'm suggesting what might be reasons for them to be doing a bit of CYA-ing wink.png

I believe RBoS is being split up into a "good" bank to continue to operate and a "toxic" bank to get treated in whatever way they can. There's a lot of unravelling to be done and we're not going to be able to second guess the details, but it's not a big deal. Banks come and go, merge and split, many times. Look at the shenanigans the Lloyds/TSB combo went through wink.png

If the RBoS is owned by the current UK government, then it'll be in the pot of assets and liabilities which have to be wrangled over between rUK and iScotland wink.png

RBS is owned by the UK tax payer, so in reality all their employees are civil servants.

RBS as said it will move it's HQ south if a Yes vote.

So the SNP get rid of their debt riddled bank and start a new one with chocolate smarties.

Do we accept chocolate smarties south of the border?

@jpinx post No 764

RBS is considering moving south, GREAT, you might recall that the largest building society in the UK, probably the world The Halifax Building Society merged in 2001 (some would call it a take over) of the smaller Bank of Scotland forming Halifax Bank of Scotland, HBOS. What SHOULD have happened then is the new HQ SHOULD have been situated in Halifax,Yorkshire an area of high unemployment, unfortunately the government lead by Tony LIER Blair and his fellow Scotsman Gordon Bigot Brown caved in to Alex Salmonds and the SNP's demand that the new company Must be situated in the prosperous city of Edinburgh, otherwise the SNP would throw their dummies out of the pram. Now with the prospect of separation hopefully many thousands of jobs will come flooding south, maybe even to Halifax.

Hundreds of thousands of well needed jobs will come south.

Financial services industry 100k people

Faslane trident base 8000

civil service 50k

Shipyards 25k

And all the knock on jobs.

Then just as the good old days we will see a mass exodus of sweaty socks looking for work down south.

Leaving Salmond and his cronies Scotlands only inhabitants to plan world domination.cheesy.gif

Edited by BKK Blues Brother

I've found this all very interesting, from an observers point of view and although I have no in-depth knowledge judging by the fact the GBP is now firming up from its Monday slump I assume that a "No" vote is far more likely than a "Yes"

The boilermakers odds are now 1/4 NO vote and 3/1 YES, the trends are towards the NO vote shortening even further.

Perhaps for the less risk averse it may be a good time to buy GBP and sell after the result.

• Like 1

Noises about independence coming from Wales now. I think it's time the Welsh had the same opportunity afforded to the Scots.

Now, if those in Northern Ireland would just start to fight for English taxpayer freedom freedom from the English as well, case of Bucky all round!

yes_boards_1.jpg?itok=jp_EZeOM

• Like 1

Noises about independence coming from Wales now. I think it's time the Welsh had the same opportunity afforded to the Scots.

Now, if those in Northern Ireland would just start to fight for English taxpayer freedom freedom from the English as well, case of Bucky all round!

posts about all that about 3 months ago.....I think it is yet another sign of how little the English know about the issues that they really haven't started this thread until the last week before the referendum.

I've found this all very interesting, from an observers point of view and although I have no in-depth knowledge judging by the fact the GBP is now firming up from its Monday slump I assume that a "No" vote is far more likely than a "Yes"

The boilermakers odds are now 1/4 NO vote and 3/1 YES, the trends are towards the NO vote shortening even further.

Perhaps for the less risk averse it may be a good time to buy GBP and sell after the result.

I wouldn't take currency as a B&W indicator.........

posts about all that about 3 months ago.....I think it is yet another sign of how little the English know about the issues that they really haven't started this thread until the last week before the referendum.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm quite keen for the whole thing to break up now. Northern Ireland, Wales the lot. Sick of the animosity shown towards the English, best everyone goes their own way. Watching the Salmond creature prance about and the bile that comes out of the man best rebuild that old wall.

It's a shame. But it is what it is and it'll be what it'll be.

Vote Yes!

• Like 1

@jpinx post No 764

I'm suggesting what might be reasons for them to be doing a bit of CYA-ing wink.png

I believe RBoS is being split up into a "good" bank to continue to operate and a "toxic" bank to get treated in whatever way they can. There's a lot of unravelling to be done and we're not going to be able to second guess the details, but it's not a big deal. Banks come and go, merge and split, many times. Look at the shenanigans the Lloyds/TSB combo went through wink.png

If the RBoS is owned by the current UK government, then it'll be in the pot of assets and liabilities which have to be wrangled over between rUK and iScotland wink.png

RBS is owned by the UK tax payer, so in reality all their employees are civil servants.

The UK government is a major shareholder in RBS which is a public limited company quoted on the UK stock exchange. Its employees are just that - they are not civil servants. They are not employed by the government.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

@jpinx post No 764

The UK government is a major shareholder in RBS which is a public limited company quoted on the UK stock exchange. Its employees are just that - they are not civil servants. They are not employed by the government.

Thanks for clarify the fact.

The point is in the irony

The gloves are off.

Amazing how the BBC are spreading propaganda.

It's not a smackdown in any way, shape or form. Other than too a blinkered Yesser. To an impartial viewer, Salmond just makes himself look silly because at no point does he answer the question. He just blusters and diverts attention.

Nothing new thenrolleyes.gif

£?facepalm.gif

Maybe Alex Salmonds never thought the nationalist would succeed with a "YES" Just maybe he thought if they put up a strong showing the Westminster elite would come along and offer yet more concessions and inducements to those poor oppressed Scots. Well lets hope there is a "YES" vote , it sure will help the employment figures in the rest of the UK.

• Like 2