Thai vs European cuisine

Matej

Hello,

After one year in Thailand, I'm really starting to miss European food/cuisine, especially potatoes.

I don't want to compare which cuisine is better, but do you have the same problem sometimes?

What are you doing about that? European food is expensive here in Thailand and often of poor quality.

Plenty of cheap Spuds in most Supermarkets. If you've got an oven you can roast 'em with a nice joint of Beef, Pork or Lamb. Butter and milk and you can mash spuds and fry the left overs with cabbage to make 'bubble and squeak'. Boil them half the way, slice them and fry them. All this and more from a few potatoes.

There are many Western foods you can make yourself....get stuck in.

• Like 1

I guess I have to build a kitchen than, buy dishes, a stove etc.

I see your point OP and I sympathize with you.

Suddenly everybody is a super cook and prepare delicious European meals themselves.

Well I miss European food and I have never tried to cook myself.

So when I go out to eat I choose to have a steak with potatoes or mash and lots of vegies.

I know it's not the same quality like back home but we have to do with that.

You are saying expensive, not really if you find the right restaurants.

Avoid the touristy areas, eat more where the Thais eat.

You will find the basic European food there, with a better price attached.

If you are not inclined to cook, no point of any expense in building a new kitchen.

Also open a thread, tell the members where you live and ask them to recommend some good and cheap restaurants.

They will be happy to oblige.

I guess I have to build a kitchen than, buy dishes, a stove etc.

There are restaurants that sell European food, most of them aren't even very expensive.

I occasionally eat a Chicken Massaman, apart from that everything I eat is western food. I mostly cook my own in a kitchen.

You can buy potatoes here, I bought a whole bunch of them yesterderday from the local Villa market.

Having a kitchen is a useful thing which is why most apartments and houses appear to have them built in from the start.

I too miss European Food, I really miss Nice Salads, Salads of variation, not just tomatoes lettuce and sweet corn

And the dressings here are heavily sugared...

I miss Quorn the Vegetarian substitute for Meat, it's like Tofu but 100 times nicer.

And nice bread, especially brown bread or wholewheat bread..

Not keen on French or Spanish food, too greasy and meaty....

I do miss Real Italian pizzas with home made bases...

But what I do LOVE about living here, is the variation of fruit and the price of it, Fantastic....

Good selection of Vegetables,too...

Rice, don't like white rice, prefer brown rice.

It would help if I could cook, but I can't , so cannot complain really.

Fortunately I have found some amazing Thai restaurants....which is great..

Most good hotels have western buffets. Some are quite good and most are under 1,000 baht. Some even 4-500 which is pretty reasonable for what you get.

Unless you live out in the boonies, then you are SOL except for holidays.

I too miss European Food, I really miss Nice Salads, Salads of variation, not just tomatoes lettuce and sweet corn

I miss Quorn the Vegetarian substitute for Meat, it's like Tofu but 100 times nicer.

But what I do LOVE about living here, is the variation of fruit and the price of it, Fantastic....

Yamazaki bakery all over Thailand; great breads. What place do you live that you can't find good Pizza.

French food too greasy and meaty? Huh? I have never heard such a thing. French cuisine may or may not be the world's best, but it certainly is the most widely influential cooking style, and it is unquestionably the standard against which all other cuisines are measured.

• Like 1

Yamazaki bakery all over Thailand; great breads. What place do you live that you can't find good Pizza.

French food too greasy and meaty? Huh? I have never heard such a thing. French cuisine may or may not be the world's best, but it certainly is the most widely influential cooking style, and it is unquestionably the standard against which all other cuisines are measured.

For me like I said, Greasy and Meaty, definetly disagree with you, it's Dated and old fashioned, .... But that's me, I avoid them ... , Horse Hamburger and Rabbit and Foie Gras ??? Says it all...

For me like I said, Greasy and Meaty, definetly disagree with you, it's Dated and old fashioned, .... But that's me, I avoid them ... , Horse Hamburger and Rabbit and Foie Gras ??? Says it all...

1. Where do you live in Thailand where you can't find good bread and Pizza?

2. If French food is dated and old fashioned what is modern and current?

We were out in the boonies...found a place that said steak house - had a great pork steak ...... but also had mashed potatoes - I asked them to make garlic mashed potatoes which they did.......

We still drive 30k to go there when antsy.....

Good pizza all around LOS - but as everyone likes it a little different it takes some searching...one place here in CM gives a lot of options for crust, sauces, and toppings.....

We enjoy sourdough bread - about all we eat......some Big C stores have it.....almost anything is out there if you look.....

Well, at least I know I'm not alone in this ....

Of course I know that I can buy potatoes, anything, in supermarket, but what I will do with them ... I don't have a kitchen.

I stay in Sriracha.

Pizza? You mean pizza company? OK, let's call it pizza, better than nothing ...

I loved street fruit too.

Once I asked my wife where is this fruit come from, she told me it's from Bangkok, also she told me that farmers use too much pesticides.

No one is checking that, everyone who buys newspapers everyday knows what I'm talking about.

What is the most important, they don't have bananas.

Yamazaki bakery? I've never been there ... I will try

Bread in Thailand is toast bread and that is not real bread. Butter: 250 THB, 250 g

Internationals buffets in hotels are good choice, that's true.

I love buffet in Baiyoke tower, BKK, even with spoiled Chinese girls, but everyday, for 2 people, too expensive.

I've never seen European food in street restaurants where Thai people are eating.

Maybe I'm too skeptic. I'm sorry, it's because I'm hungry.

Make your own food, and in case you didn't know Thai Supermarkets and Markets do sell potatoes thumbsup.gif

Yes potatoes but there are hundreds of different potatoes (hard cooking, soft cooking, etc etc) which are used for different food. I never saw different kind of potatoes

• Like 1

Of course I know that I can buy potatoes, anything, in supermarket, but what I will do with them ... I don't have a kitchen.

I stay in Sriracha.

Once I asked my wife where is this fruit come from, she told me it's from Bangkok, also she told me that farmers use too much pesticides.

No one is checking that, everyone who buys newspapers everyday knows what I'm talking about.

Bread in Thailand is toast bread and that is not real bread. Butter: 250 THB, 250 g

I love buffet in Baiyoke tower, BKK, even with spoiled Chinese girls, but everyday, for 2 people, too expensive.

I've never seen European food in street restaurants where Thai people are eating.

Sirracha is about 20 minutes from Pattaya - great Pizza and wonderful bread all over the place. Yamazaki I believe is in Sirracha too.

Edited by thailiketoo

I stay in Sriracha.

Don't call Pizza Company things Pizza.....

Solution: cook yourself.....Sometimes like Sunday

Bread in Thailand is toast bread and that is not real bread

Bread in Thailand is not all toast bread and banana's availible all over the place, I buy banana's every week.

As said previously, you need to get out more, go in to Pattaya, plenty of types of "real" bread availible

Personally I dont think your problem is "choice" or availibility, I think your problem is you dont go and look...Sirachai is down the road from Pattaya, you can find just about everything your looking for in literally 2 or 3 places in Pattaya.

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Suppose the great advantage of being able to cook is that you can make the best use of local produce. Example, I would buy brisket and brine my own salt beef, bagels tricky but rye bread easy to bake. Used to wrap my cuts of steak interleaved with strips of papaya which does a wonderful job of tenderising it, marinade it with genuine Worcester sauce (Lea & Perrins, not the Heinz version which should be referred to the ICC as a crime against humanity). Thai potatos always better if steamed rather then boiled before mashing.

As a 7 year veteran my theory is that when we come to live here we give up many things from home, the culture, friends, the comfort zone etc. But thats part of the adventure. As we become more comfortable and worldy in Thailand (if that is ever possible) there is one thing that we can have from home (dependent on location) and that is the food.

I have steadily decreased the amount of Thai food I eat over the years. It is not that I don't like Thai food, I have it for lunch at work most days and sometimes in the evenings but I just love Western food more. A simple choice.

It also helps that where I live that I can, for a price, get pretty much anything I want foodwise. A new German bakery has opened near me and the bread is excellent. We have a western butcher 4 Western supermarkets and of course the major supermarkets. Add to that the wealth of fruit, vegetables and fish available cheaply at the market or straight off the boat 1km from my home and I live in a cooks paradise. And I do enjoy cooking and eating at home more than going to restaurants. I know it would be cheaper to eat out but I eat what I want, at the time I want and I can watch a movie while I eat if i want.

• Like 1

So basically everyone is missing European food. Everyone is sniffing for it ... not only me.

No one has mentioned Thai food(except previous comment).

I love cooking too, it's fun, you can eat whatever you want and you can't blame anyone if something goes wrong ... but I don't have this opportunity here.

So basically everyone is missing European food. Everyone is sniffing for it ... not only me.

I love cooking too, it's fun, you can eat whatever you want and you can't blame anyone if something goes wrong ... but I don't have this opportunity here.

Not so. I told you where to find great bread, Yamazaki and good Pizza from a wood burning Pizza oven at Hopf brewhouse Pattaya. What more do you want? Do you want me to tell you how to cook in your room like all the Thais do?

Not everyone is missing it or sniffing for it, If I fancy "European food" I go out and buy it or buy the ingredients and cook it... not a hard decision to make..

living in Thailand is no different from a "western country" in this regard, yes of course certain specific items you may not be able to find, but over all Thailand is not bad in the "farang food" stakes.... unless you live in the boonies that this...

Not so. I told you where to find great bread, Yamazaki and good Pizza from a wood burning Pizza oven at Hopf brewhouse Pattaya. What more do you want? Do you want me to tell you how to cook in your room like all the Thais do?

Becoming very apparant the OP is a professional "excuseist" ....always finding reasons or excuses for not doing something or everything is "too hard"