North Korea to 'judge' detained American September 14

webfact

North Korea to 'judge' detained American September 14
By Ralph Ellis, CNN

(CNN) -- Matthew Todd Miller, an American being held in North Korea, has a September 14 judgment date, according to state news agency KCNA.

Miller, who is accused of tearing up his tourist visa and seeking asylum upon entry, implored the U.S. government for help during a recent interview with CNN's Will Ripley.

"My situation is very urgent, that very soon I am going to trial, and I would directly be sent to prison," he told Ripley.
He said he's admitted his guilt and apologized to the North Korean government, but he will not learn of his charges until the September 14 hearing.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/06/world/asia/north-korea-american-miller/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-09-08

It has happened before that Americans have defected there.

And were they also charged for the alleged crime of defection?

I am very interested as, in the little reading I have done on the subject, no previous American defector was charged with a crime and have lived (according to North Korean reports) regular lives.

Having lived in a communist country for 20 years (albeit, an opening system), I am very much aware of the discrepancy between fact and the ' official party line'. Our day late, 'officially' supplied, Bangkok Post newspapers often had black texta (marker) through stories pertaining to the country I resided in. Even the words 'communist' and 'communism' were blacked out of English dictionaries that were sold in 'official' stores.

My point is, even in an opening system, the government attempted to maintain tight controls on the flow of information. In a country such as North Korea, the control of information is virtually watertight so how could any 'official' report emanating from that country be taken seriously?

Again, if you can supply me with links to stories of other Americans who have been charged within North Korea for the 'crime' of defection to North Korea, I would be very interested in reading more about it.

Edited by Stray

Many levels to this.

He might have really defected.

They need pawns now. Bargaining chips.

So he would be a convenient pawn that walked into their hands.

Whether he really committed any crime, and yes, tearing up a visa is a crime, is irrelevant.

No American should go there on ANY visa.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

When I travelled to North Korea two years ago my visa, a separate paper and given to me by the tour company prior to departing for North Korea was examined upon arrival and not stapled to the passport. Both the visa and my passport were collected by our guides/minders at the hotel. It was not until the next day that our passport was returned without the visa. As I recall the visa was given back on our way to the airport and collected by the immigration officials when exiting. Passport was never stamped.

It is an interesting story. Did the fool really tear up the visa when he arrived at the airport and before being held by the tour guides? Why tear up the North Korean document and ask for asylum. Seems like tearing up the passport would make more of a statement.

They were "judged" the minute they set foot in N. Korea...now will be the kangaroo court...with the sentencing which has been predetermined...

N. Korea acts like an immature little child...who has a sandbox...any one who dares venture into their sandbox...is at their mercy...which they have proven time and again...they have no mercy...

Where is Dennis Rodman...when we need him...Oh...he's getting some new piercings in his little member...

My two cents worth of opinion on the matter.

1) How can the man be called a defector? People defect from places they are kept against their will. USA is not one of those places.

2) A defector from USA running to N.Korea should tear up and renounce his USA passport not his Visa to N.Korea.

3) If there was an intent to defect the USA has a perfect right/ obligation to revoke his Citizenship. Out of respect for his Human Rights at the least.

4) In a short time he will be exchanged for whatever (a NK spy, foodstuff, political favor)?

5) He committed some sort of mischief in USA in N.Korea interests. He will become a National Hero of N.Korea and 72 hungry virgins are awaiting.

6) USA may even consider a Delta Force operation to save their innocent Citizen (expect some fun) for his own good but against his will.

7) He insulted the N.Korea pride and committed a crime punishable by death in N.Korea. Cut off his head with a blunt knife on Video!

I know, I am inhuman and void of compassion. No apology.

My two cents worth of opinion on the matter.

1) How can the man be called a defector? People defect from places they are kept against their will. USA is not one of those places.

2) A defector from USA running to N.Korea should tear up and renounce his USA passport not his Visa to N.Korea.

3) If there was an intent to defect the USA has a perfect right/ obligation to revoke his Citizenship. Out of respect for his Human Rights at the least.

4) In a short time he will be exchanged for whatever (a NK spy, foodstuff, political favor)?

5) He committed some sort of mischief in USA in N.Korea interests. He will become a National Hero of N.Korea and 72 hungry virgins are awaiting.

6) USA may even consider a Delta Force operation to save their innocent Citizen (expect some fun) for his own good but against his will.

7) He insulted the N.Korea pride and committed a crime punishable by death in N.Korea. Cut off his head with a blunt knife on Video!

I know, I am inhuman and void of compassion. No apology.

Please don't apologise for being inhuman. No need.

Apologies may be in order for confusing jihadesque values with NK values. Apologise for your ignorance only.