Can someone help me identify this weed?

skraach

It is one of the first plants to grow when you clear a piece of land, especially in the city, and it grows everywhere, even in gaps in concrete roads and walls and becomes a tree around 5m high. The stems and leaves are hairy. The wood is light. It readily shoots after you cut it down to a stump.

Anyone know the Thai name or botanical name?

post-144458-0-93971100-1410150041_thumb.

Edited by skraach

Looks very much a plant that Jimmy photographed in my garden which has a pink flower. However despite the almost identical leaf shape, my plant does not have serrated edge to leaves.

I wondered that too Old sailor! but I don't think same ! I did wonder about that too! Here is a pic of OS's plant!

There is a thread going in Chaing Mai forum, which I think fits this... a type of Ginseng.... but I am not sure! wink.png

SAM_3095.JPG

Looks very much a plant that Jimmy photographed in my garden which has a pink flower. However despite the almost identical leaf shape, my plant does not have serrated edge to leaves.

I wondered that too Old sailor! but I don't think same ! I did wonder about that too! Here is a pic of OS's plant!

There is a thread going in Chaing Mai forum, which I think fits this... a type of Ginseng.... but I am not sure! wink.png

SAM_3095.JPG

Nope. An important characteristic is the edges of the leaves, which according to the original foto are serated, not as in this foto. Ginseng won't be growing like a weed, they need stratifying to germinate.

SAM_3095.JPG

It's definitely not the plant in this photo.

My misses says it is ปอกะสา or Paul Stork or Paul Cotton, broussonetia papyrifere

That's it! Confirmed by a friend of my as well, who says it's also just called ปอสา (por-saa). English common name Paper Mulberry and belongs to the same family as the mulberry fruit. Good source of fiber for papermaking, clothing, rope (from the roots), and leaves are edible after cooking. Native to Thailand. Good pioneer species.

I guess from the name that this is the plant used for producing Saa Paper (กระดาษสา).

• Like 1