Best area to live in Chiang Mai

ShaunEdwards9

Everywhere in and near CM is great to live.

I found Doi Saket, Mae Rim, and beyond Hang Dong a little too far for convenience (30 minute drive).

MaeJo, Don Keow, and the 121 as as far as I care to go (20 minute drive).

In town there are many choices, all good, depending on your lifestyle.

White foreigner bars and restaurants, mainly around MoonMuang.

Thai student bars and Restaurants, lots around Santitham/Chang Puak.

Asian foreigners bars and restaurants, Nimmanhaemin area.

Of course all the areas overlap a bit.

howdy chaps, been lurking on the thai boards for a while

looking to retire at some point to thailand, although not sure where?

is there a local website that has a good coverage (like domain in Oz) for local realestate?

Try chiangmaiproperties.co.th or chiangmaiopenrealty.com

I like the gated community I'm in at HangDong.

Quiet, and a nice golf club (hate the game, love the club-house for a little upmarket restaurant indulgence i can stroll to)

The planes are not directly overhead, in fact Nimmanhaemin has a similar not-directly overhead flight path depending on which way the wind is blowing, weird for the so called high-end of town!

I like Nims at night, but not a fan of the strip during the day. I am not sure if I would live there, and I'm new and on a budget right now.

The walled city is OK when it's low season (about now) otherwise it is full of tourists, during the day. They seem to be less prominent at night but maybe they can't afford the not all that fancy joints i frequent, or maybe they are at some hipster dive doing hipster things to hipster beats.

I do wish Hang Dong was nearer the city, as it can lack good options for eating out, and I am quite happy with B30 noodles, but even they are limited at night.

I'm still not too old that I don't like a live band a crowd and a beer now and then. I miss that out in HD as its also hazardous to get home with the drivers here as insane as they are AND half hammered (them -not me).

If I could afford it, I might give Nims a shot, or maybe somewhere along the Doi Suthep road before the campus. I'd also like to experience right inside the city walls, there are a few nice quiet alleyways, and it is smack on top of everything, no car or even bike needed.

But, it's still nice to be in a very affordable house out in the country, with greenery, and a few good ol boys to share a beer with outside the local convenience store.

Also, they are building a 'Wine Connection' and a McD's out here, so given they are big chains who do their homework, it may mean the night-life picks up around here (i refer to Wine Connection, not McD's in that last observation). There is a small Rimping Supermarket and a new 'Sportsbar' called the Game, but I'm not a fan of sports bars. It seems to get a fair bit of expat trade from what I have seen en route to Rimping.

I do still want to get a little closer to town and hope i can get the income to make it happen sooner rather than later.