Royal Command names Gen Udomdej the new army strongman

Lite Beer

Come on. I dare you to reply. Tell me who was less qualified in the Junta line up (which is a military dictatorship) compared to a more qualified candidate under a democratically elected government under the PTP?

Remember the Junta can put who they want in power. The PTP have to listen to the voice of the people.

"Tell me who was less qualified in the Junta line up (which is a military dictatorship) compared to a more qualified candidate under a democratically elected government under the PTP?"

For starters what do you think of the navy chief becoming the education minister?

BTW don't you know that it is now officially forbidden to refer to the junta as a military dictatorship?

"Remember the Junta can put who they want in power. The PTP have to listen to the voice of the people."

555 we can't have a government that listens to the voice of the people now can we? Who knows where that might lead. Heaven forbid, they might even spend money on something that benefits subhuman peasants, denying the Hi-So "khon di" their god-given right to lay their blessed hands on the vast majority of taxpayers money.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, the statement already ignores that "red areas" of the country have been and are currently already treated differently.

sure, martial law is country wide.

But 3/4 of all detainees have been red shirts, most of the remainder academics and anti-coup protesters

3400+ people arrested in the KK province during the 5 days after the coup - for all sorts of 'offenses'.

LM cases in the north like the student actors in the wolf's bride (among others)

Even harassing regular people like the fish-monger in CM for wearing a PTP t-shirt - in the south, PDRC and Shutdown BKK t-shirts are still normal fashion.

color-free reconciliation doesn't seem to be color-free

It may, just may, have something to do with Red Shirts threatening secession, civil war, stockpiling war weapons, carrying out a campaign of terrorism and political intimidation, cheering at the murder of innocent people, a well documented history of violence, etc, etc...

• Like 1

actually, the statement already ignores that "red areas" of the country have been and are currently already treated differently.

sure, martial law is country wide.

But 3/4 of all detainees have been red shirts, most of the remainder academics and anti-coup protesters

3400+ people arrested in the KK province during the 5 days after the coup - for all sorts of 'offenses'.

LM cases in the north like the student actors in the wolf's bride (among others)

Even harassing regular people like the fish-monger in CM for wearing a PTP t-shirt - in the south, PDRC and Shutdown BKK t-shirts are still normal fashion.

color-free reconciliation doesn't seem to be color-free

It may, just may, have something to do with Red Shirts threatening secession, civil war, stockpiling war weapons, carrying out a campaign of terrorism and political intimidation, cheering at the murder of innocent people, a well documented history of violence, etc, etc...

LOL - yeah, and it may, just may, have to do with something else entirely.

• Like 2

Yes? For example?

The politics of division had gone too far. When you have one side contemplating civil war and splitting a country in two it is time to chill the f### up and let someone sort things out before the bloodshed begins and years and piles of bodies later try to figure out where all went wrong.

The whole civil war and separatism talk happened because people wanted to live in a democracy, but Suthep was using violence to shut down elections, with the blessing of the military, who many correctly suspected were planning a coup.

Had the military instead declared that they would protect the elections, then few people would have been interested in secession.

• Like 1

Yes? For example?

think about it for half a second and then you tell me why 'reconciliation' might not be color-free.

Yes? For example?

think about it for half a second and then you tell me why 'reconciliation' might not be color-free.

So, against a proven track record and actions by Red Shirts that would warrant special attention you offer vague innuendo.

Not very convincing.

Yes? For example?

So, against a proven track record and actions by Red Shirts that would warrant special attention you offer vague innuendo.

Not very convincing.

I am asking that you think for yourself.

So according to you a general have the correct experience to run a country ? You have the right to your view but history have proven you wrong many a time.

He probably has more experience to run a country than the previous PM.

Colonel Sanders and Ronald MacDonald would have had more experience in running the country than Yingluck, but she's gone now, the past is there for a reason, it appears that some people cannot let go of it, and move forwards, where is all this peace and reconciliation between TVF members? or is that just reserved for those who live in LALA land and not in the real world? Notice I said Lala, an not Lanna wink.png

If you keep the red areas subjected to ML, there's little reconciliation going on, more like peace and persecution , and as the good old Borg used to say "resistence is futile, you will be assimilated"

Once you start treating everyone as equals, then reconciliation can progress wink.png

Why should red areas be treated any different to the rest of the country? Martial law hasn't been rescinded anywhere yet.

That's exactly the point I'm making, there's talk about lifiting it across the country APART from the red areas, so thank you for agreeing with me, they should be treated as equals and not isolated once Martial Law is lifted ;)

That's exactly the point I'm making, there's talk about lifiting it across the country APART from the red areas, so thank you for agreeing with me, they should be treated as equals and not isolated once Martial Law is lifted wink.png

I haven't been keeping a close eye on the news recently, but I have only seen talk of lifting martial law in tourist areas, and no suggestion of lifting it everywhere except red areas.

• Like 1

Not very convincing.

I am asking that you think for yourself.

No, you are avoiding the question.

not at all. I really am asking you to think for yourself. You should try it sometime.

you and I both know that answering that question honestly is possible reason to go to jail in Thailand.

So stop with your pretend 'avoiding the question' bleating. You know how to use your brain.

There's a thread headline here on TVF that states something along the lines that it will be lifted across the country apart from red areas..

Here you go

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/758472-redshirt-region-to-remain-under-martial-law/

Actually, it says "planned to lift martial law in 22 provinces with popular tourist attractions", not "across the country".

And there was another thread last Friday that said there was no plan to lift martial law anywhere.

The only reason the article you linked to said "redshirt region to remain under martial law" is because the army commander that controls that region was the one that was asked.

Yeah, but are you ignoring the point I'm trying to make that by segregating a particular region doesn't have the peace and reconciliation feel about it, it would feel more like the normal everyday run of the mill person is being discriminated for the actions of a minority, that may or may not be residents of said region?

How can you bring harmony into the country, when you're dividing it up into good and bad??

Lift it across the country, or keep it in place across the country... the Army doesn't have the manpower to enforce it across the country as it is, as all the little tidbits like the taxi drivers and jetski operators are back doing what they have been doing for decades..

Yeah, but are you ignoring the point I'm trying to make that by segregating a particular region doesn't have the peace and reconciliation feel about it, it would feel more like the normal everyday run of the mill person is being discriminated for the actions of a minority, that may or may not be residents of said region?

How can you bring harmony into the country, when you're dividing it up into good and bad??

Lift it across the country, or keep it in place across the country... the Army doesn't have the manpower to enforce it across the country as it is, as all the little tidbits like the taxi drivers and jetski operators are back doing what they have been doing for decades..

As I said, it was the army's regional commander that was asked about that region. After that, it was the reporter that made it sound like it was ONLY the red shirt area that was still under martial law.

• Like 1

not at all. I really am asking you to think for yourself. You should try it sometime.

you and I both know that answering that question honestly is possible reason to go to jail in Thailand.

So stop with your pretend 'avoiding the question' bleating. You know how to use your brain.

Yes, I do know how to use my brain, no need for you to make any commentary on that, except, of course, to wiggle out of your inability or unwillingness to explain why you think the past actions of the Red Shirts is not what warrants a closer watch on their activities and a larger number of detentions.

Seems to me that you want to hand wave that away in favour of a more palatable narrative were they get to be portrayed as the victims instead.

If this guy doesn't work out, they can choose another from the 1092 Generals ( the number reported in today's Bangkok Post).

Over a thousand! The "bloodline of heaven" must be getting a bit diluted!

cf the USA with 652 and China with 191

Yes, I do know how to use my brain, no need for you to make any commentary on that, except, of course, to wiggle out of your inability or unwillingness to explain why you think the past actions of the Red Shirts is not what warrants a closer watch on their activities and a larger number of detentions.

Seems to me that you want to hand wave that away in favour of a more palatable narrative were they get to be portrayed as the victims instead.

apparently you do not, or else you do not know how to use your eyes to read my reply to you.

There is no evasion of your question. We live in a country where speaking your mind can send you to jail.

And your insistence on an explicit reply could be considered BAITING under such circumstances.

Now that I have replied several times, I think it is time for you to figure it out for yourself.

apparently you do not, or else you do not know how to use your eyes to read my reply to you.

There is no evasion of your question. We live in a country where speaking your mind can send you to jail.

And your insistence on an explicit reply could be considered BAITING under such circumstances.

Now that I have replied several times, I think it is time for you to figure it out for yourself.

There is a law in Thailand that prohibits you "to explain why you think the past actions of the Red Shirts is not what warrants a closer watch on their activities and a larger number of detentions."?

Tough place. :rolleyes:

There is a law in Thailand that prohibits you "to explain why you think the past actions of the Red Shirts is not what warrants a closer watch on their activities and a larger number of detentions."?

Tough place. rolleyes.gif

you are baiting. Take a hike

I'm not baiting, what I'm asking is not the provenance of LM laws, why do you think the track record of violence and threats by the Red Shirts (for example the creation of militias and other points I raised on post #62) is not sufficient grounds to explain why there have been more arrests and tougher security measures in Red Shirt strongholds than in other places and other groups.

Me and Mr. Occam want to know.

I'm all for arresting those people Alex who actually participate in such crimes, but punishing everyone else in the area who doesn't care about politics is hardly the way to go about "peace and reconcilliation"

You do realise that many of these red shirt extremists still at large are probably region hopping on a frequent basis, and that they're not all sitting on a farm in Issan plotting their next moves, if they're known to the RTA and Police, move in and capture them, if not, tighten the checkpoints country wide and start actively looking for them.

I'm not baiting, what I'm asking is not the provenance of LM laws, why do you think the track record of violence and threats by the Red Shirts (for example the creation of militias and other points I raised on post #62) is not sufficient grounds to explain why there have been more arrests and tougher security measures in Red Shirt strongholds than in other places and other groups.

It is not just the LM laws that restrict free speech in Thailand now. Any criticism of the junta or the coup is illegal (e.g. suggesting that the junta is not an impartial actor and launched the coup on behalf of the yellow side).

It is not just the LM laws that restrict free speech in Thailand now. Any criticism of the junta or the coup is illegal (e.g. suggesting that the junta is not an impartial actor and launched the coup on behalf of the yellow side).

I believe that they refer to criticism as 'creating confusion and spreading inaccurate or false information'

it is "frowned upon" by the current "government" and can earn you a meeting invitation

I'm all for arresting those people Alex who actually participate in such crimes, but punishing everyone else in the area who doesn't care about politics is hardly the way to go about "peace and reconcilliation"

You do realise that many of these red shirt extremists still at large are probably region hopping on a frequent basis, and that they're not all sitting on a farm in Issan plotting their next moves, if they're known to the RTA and Police, move in and capture them, if not, tighten the checkpoints country wide and start actively looking for them.

The problem is that people like tbthailand are deliberately ignoring the context of the current situation, they do not want to see how the actions of the Red Shirts and PTP have played a part in the current situation, placing all the blame on others instead. First they decide what narrative fits them best and then decide which facts to accept and which to handwave away.

Not only it is a very dishonest attitude, but it's also how and why the country is in the current state of polarization.