Divide between farangs

Ws93

Hey I'm quite new here so please go easy on me.

I've been lurking around this forum and from what I have seen is there appears to be a avoidance of each other. In person at least.

If two farang come across one another, they mostly blank each other or just exchange looks. I saw this myself in Rayong which is really farang populated from what I saw.

My question is, what about us Luk Kreungs? How can we be able to fit in? Best of both worlds but also worst of both worlds. Look Thai but don't look Thai.

We either get seen as farang ourselves or seen as Thai. Depends on person really.

A farang is quite obvious and stick out like a sore thumb, but for is Luk kreungs. We have pale Thai skin, we have their hair colour and the eyes yet European features.

How can we integrate ourselves? Like farangs, we won't be seen as Thai ourselves despite Thai citizenship, we would always be lumped in the Luk Kreung category, I'm even a "china boy" in the UK.

Any advice would be great thank you.

'How can we be able to fit in?' Don't worry about what other Thai or Farang think, just walk tall with a smile everyday and if anyone looks or talks you down, it's jealously because you are superior.

I get a few dodgy looks from Thai's and always say "hello" with a smile when passing a fellow farang, the majority of times i get no reply.

I believe its jealously of my Lady Tickler neus.gif

• Like 2

I ..... always say "hello" with a smile when passing a fellow farang, the majority of times i get no reply.

Ah. So you're that weird bloke who says "hello" and leers at me from time to time then.

I hate it when people I don't know talk to me. And I hate it when people I do know talk to me.

My outlook on life, everywhere, is Smile, if i happen to see a Fellow Farang anywhere, I Automatically smile, if they smile back, fine, if no , no big deal It won't spoil my day...

Life is short, costs nothing to be pleasant.....

Have a. Nice day, and please don't think I am walking about like a Cheshire Cat.... I just have a smiley looking face...

With respect, to me your missing the op's point, he has said what he see's and I probably do it myself I live in Thailand and if I see a farangie I don't go out of my way to acknowledge them or every bloody person I see.

Maybe I should get one of Batman's enemies plastic surgery done.laugh.png

Once very popular song: - "Don't worry, be happy".

Have a happy life. Or have a happy attitude to life. Which is almost the same.

I think the problem of what you call 'luk kreungs' has not originated in Thailand and wasn't born yesterday.

As somebody said above - walk tall. I call it be happy with yourself. You are what you are.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I ..... always say "hello" with a smile when passing a fellow farang, the majority of times i get no reply.

Ah. So you're that weird bloke who says "hello" and leers at me from time to time then.

I hate it when people I don't know talk to me. And I hate it when people I do know talk to me.

Ws93 "Any advice would be great thank you"......in your life you'll meet some grumpy people in this world, nine out of ten of them you'll pass in the street and the other one is a member on signthaivisa.gif

• Like 1

I think it's more a "lack of identity". I'm pretty divorced from my Thai ancestry and going back to discover it.

It's the label as well I think. "Luk Kreung". I'm not farang but neither Thai, just a different category.

Wr will never be a part of any side, just stuck in the middle. Not Thai but not the other foreigner ancestry.

In the UK, I'm simply seen as Chinese. I look mixed I've been told but skin colour and my semi Asian eyes, I look Asian from afar.

In Thailand, I'm still seen as a foreigner really, just a different type.

I think to being different really. I walked into 7/11 once and I was the only customer there. All I could was Luk Kreung luk Kreung.

In Phitsanulock, I can hear the students saying Luk Kreung. I was the only one "light skinned" in tht shop.

My cousins in Thailand call me brother, i feel more welcomed and perhaps actually Thai when I'm with them, but I still feel slightly seperated.

In England, my own nan who is very family oriented even said to my face "you're Thai, you're like your mum, you're more Thai deep down than English". Occasionally my auntie says this as well.

As I've said, too Asian to be white, too white to be Asian. It's hard I describe really.

• Like 1

"lack of idenity" you state seems to be your problem.

I can only ask ...WHY the problem?

First off ....you must be young and having a hard time figuring where you fit in and what your life plan is going to be! ALL youths have this problem, part of growing up....finding your path and who you are? ....one of the first steps is to "like" who you are, as if you don't like who you are, why would others....be confident.

Secondly....if you think about it everybody is a "mutt" .....a mix of different races.....even here in Thailand are there really any pure Thai's? What is a pure Thai? Seems to me there is a LOT of Chinese-Thai! Embrace who YOU are....we are ALL different, and mean, bitter, and jealous people are plenty (just look at Thai visa posts)

Wish you the best in your journey of self discovery!smile.png

^ the difference is that you put yourself in that situation daiyao, to go through all that hassle. Not me. Poor chap.

You only have yourself to blame. So don't bitch. Don't like it? Stop living in Thailand then, no problems for you.

I don't choose to be in this situation, I'm moving with my mum to Thailand in December as I'm living with her.

Edited by Ws93

So it would be true to say that you aren't really much of a conversationalist then?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

"lack of idenity" you state seems to be your problem.

I can only ask ...WHY the problem?

First off ....you must be young and having a hard time figuring where you fit in and what your life plan is going to be! ALL youths have this problem, part of growing up....finding your path and who you are? ....one of the first steps is to "like" who you are, as if you don't like who you are, why would others....be confident.

Secondly....if you think about it everybody is a "mutt" .....a mix of different races.....even here in Thailand are there really any pure Thai's? What is a pure Thai? Seems to me there is a LOT of Chinese-Thai! Embrace who YOU are....we are ALL different, and mean, bitter, and jealous people are plenty (just look at Thai visa posts)

Wish you the best in your journey of self discovery!smile.png

Thank you. This is quite hopeful :)

I wonder where I will fit in in Thailand. New country, new culture etc. at least I have my family there to help me settle down. Im excited but nervous.

The OP is feeling marginalised because that's what he is..he is part of a minority group, just like most farang here.

I guess this is it. Mixed people are in their own separate category, still a minority. It's the label that gets me I guess, it always reminds you that you are different. Never one of "us" or "them".

Do Luk kreungs fit into Thai society well?

Edited by Ws93

I think it's more a "lack of identity". I'm pretty divorced from my Thai ancestry and going back to discover it.

It's the label as well I think. "Luk Kreung". I'm not farang but neither Thai, just a different category.

Wr will never be a part of any side, just stuck in the middle. Not Thai but not the other foreigner ancestry.

In the UK, I'm simply seen as Chinese. I look mixed I've been told but skin colour and my semi Asian eyes, I look Asian from afar.

I think to being different really. I walked into 7/11 once and I was the only customer there. All I could was Luk Kreung luk Kreung.

In Phitsanulock, I can hear the students saying Luk Kreung. I was the only one "light skinned" in tht shop.

My cousins in Thailand call me brother, i feel more welcomed and perhaps actually Thai when I'm with them, but I still feel slightly seperated.

In England, my own nan who is very family oriented even said to my face "you're Thai, you're like your mum, you're more Thai deep down than English". Occasionally my auntie says this as well.

As I've said, too Asian to be white, too white to be Asian. It's hard I describe really.

The world is at your feet and you are already a step ahead of most with your better understanding of your origins than the petty nationalistic morons that consider themselves pure and better than you, for they are the ignorant ones.

Those ignorant ones are the ones that have to homogenize themselves into their own race or nationality because they have no confidence of who they are.

Now who do you think is the one with the personality disorder? Love yourself for who you are, maintain your integrity and conquer the world. I wish you a great life free to explore the world and free from the shackles of racism and nationalism.

Why worry about fitting in?

Be yourself.

Be the best person you can be and be proud of that.

You are a combination of two very interesting cultures in a position to take the best fro each.

Why care what others think or say??

My daughter is luk krueng and glows with both cultures.

I have raised her to be proud of both cultures.

• Like 2

^ the difference is that you put yourself in that situation daiyao, to go through all that hassle. Not me. Poor chap.

You only have yourself to blame. So don't bitch. Don't like it? Stop living in Thailand then, no problems for you.

I don't choose to be in this situation, I'm moving with my mum to Thailand in December as I'm living with her.

ooh snarky little bugger...

Actually I wasn't bitching, my situation is well sorted. I was actually trying to help you look on the bright side but I see you just need to mature a bit and get a broader perspective, Moving here may help... or not.

The world is at your feet and you are already a step ahead of most with your better understanding of your origins than the petty nationalistic morons that consider themselves pure and better than you, for they are the ignorant ones.

Those ignorant ones are the ones that have to homogenize themselves into their own race or nationality because they have no confidence of who they are.

Now who do you think is the one with the personality disorder? Love yourself for who you are, maintain your integrity and conquer the world. I wish you a great life free to explore the world and free from the shackles of racism and nationalism.

Thank you, hopefully I won't have to deal with racism. I had some comments thrown at me about my mm being a "bar girl" or son of a Thai "prostitute" who was purchased by a white man.

ooh snarky little bugger...

Actually I wasn't bitching, my situation is well sorted. I was actually trying to help you look on the bright side but I see you just need to mature a bit and get a broader perspective, Moving here may help... or not.

It does not help that It was laced with sarcasm.

If you are trying to help then thank you, I didn't see it. So I apologise.

Thank you, hopefully I won't have to deal with racism. I had some comments thrown at me about my mm being a "bar girl" or son of a Thai "prostitute" who was purchased by a white man.

Well be prepared for racism - it's just tiny minded people much like the commenter you mention above but more institutionalised in Thailand unfortunately.

Mate. You are who you are.

Don't think too much about it.

I UK RE : racism. we've come a long way since I went to school.

In Thailand I always hear he's black she's white.

Thais do seem to be bothered more about the colour of one's skin.

When you get older you'll look back and see this as funny

What do you mean by "institutionalised"? Will there be bias in the industry if I try for a job? Racism from a teacher?

I mean more about institutions like local government and police more than in business where you will more likely be in demand for your better language skills and adaptability which most Thais are lacking. In the West governments bend over backwards to tackle racism, here is the opposite where laws and social norms are quite accepting of it - unless it is directed at them of course. You will need to adapt to that a little I think.