Learning to drive in Thailand

Shoeboat

42, can't drive? Wow! I could drive when I was 12 (not on roads of course, the local airfield became familiar territory).

If you can operate the vehicle and pass the theory test you can get a local licence which lasts one year.

When you renew that you get a 5 year licence which can be used to obtain the international permit.

Been here 17 years , ain't never seen a driving school or L plates.

They are all over the place, usually they have road signs plastered outside the shop. I did not pass until I was 41, never too old to learn. Would the joke Thai licence get you an international one ? Never driven in this country though and hope never to either!

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 1

Please note: I HAVE NO DESIRE TO DRIVE IN THAILAND.

But I am enquiring as to wether I can get an international license here (legitimately) which would allow me to drive in Europe/UK/US.

Basically, can I save myself a bunch of cash by getting an international license while I am here?

If you go this route please make sure you notify us when you will be driving abroad and where so TV members can be sure to avoid you..........laugh.png

Give the bloke some encouragement, nobody was born with the ability to drive, not even TV members smile.png Although it's true driving here is apaling the best driver I have ever seen was a 19 year old Thai girl who had one driving lesson.

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 2

Business visa is fine to get a licence.

You have to wait for the 1 year licence to expire before you can get the 5 year, which can then be used to get the IDP.

IDP is valid for a year, but check your destination country's ruling on such things as how long you can use the IDP (or your Thai licence) before you need to take a test.

IIRC the UK allows you to use the Thai licence for 12 months.

You get a one year licence when you pass, a monkey can do that, then when you renew after 1 year you get a five year licence. The driving school takes you to the test to do it in their car, or you can hire an old one for little money at the test centre.

Why yes - it'[s entirely possible to learn from scratches - dents - bruising - breakage - pavement burns - horns - finger salutes - lynch mobs & misc other carnage.....

Best go to a driving school - they will even help prep of the driving tests - some decent ones in CM.....

Be aware that most countries do not allow the use of an IDP, when driving in your home country...

If you mean that as a national of a country (say UK) when driving in the UK as a visitor you are not allowed to use a licence and IDP from another country. AFIK there is country that has a law like this.

However went you live in a country most country's limit the time that you can use an IDP to about 3 months after which you need to get a local licence.

• Like 1

Shoeboat, on 09 Sept 2014 - 10:31, said:

But I am enquiring as to wether I can get an international license here (legitimately) which would allow me to drive in Europe/UK/US.

Basically, can I save myself a bunch of cash by getting an international license while I am here?

I'm not sure about the countries you mentioned, but you can use a valid Thai licence in Western Australia, no need for an international licence, this could change from state to state, oh how easier if it was a "national" licence.

You have to get a medical certificate as part of the application for a licence. I went to an evening clinic and the exchange went like this:

Doctor: How are You?
Me: Fine, thanks.

Receptionist: 80 baht, please.

That was last week.

My wife year is up in early Nov this year. I am on a retirement visa here. Can anyone tell me when the earliest I can go to renew and what medical forms etc are needed for the five year renewal so I can go there prepared instead of having them tell me what I need and then going to get it? Also I have a new passport number so I am sure as with Immigration reports I need copies of the Passport front page and the visa page and possibly as with the 90 day report a copy of the airline card I came in on?

Are applications for renewal online to download to start the process?

Do I need pictures? since I remember the big funny thing was watching when the license was approved

everyone was preparing at the desk they were at to have the person working there take the picture and they were putting powder on and combing there here and very much in the moment of humility.

Thanks in advance for any positive info on the five year or again I apologize if this needs a new topic and then I will have to copy and paste to make a new topic? Sorry in advance.

you can apply on line for it. alot of places will give you on line form .even in usa, aaa auto club will just go on line and fill out the forms ect

Edited by camsouth

Get yourself a licence here - no problem.

In UK you can drive on a Thai licence for one year - no need for International Licence

After one year convert the Thai licence to a UK licence

The Chinese do this all the time. They travel to HK stay with relatives and get a HK driving licence very cheap. Then they return to UK and their Chinese take away and after one year convert their licence to a UK licence.

With a UK licence you can drive freely in any EU country

Edited by ResandePohm

sorry the first line says my wife, I don't know how she got into this but the question is my drivers license is up in NOV. nothing about her sorry. Renewal for five year license is coming up.

If you were at the office that granted your retirement visa you could have asked for the form that enables one to renew the licence in ones area. One month earlier and id have got a Lifetime one like my wife. Our one horse town are easy though,renewed in 5Mins,hear that Tourist areas make you jump through all the hoops.Dont worry though, pop in your local and ask.thumbsup.gif

Will the bunch of cash be used to hire cars or the excessive insurance premium on a personally owned one.

sorry the first line says my wife, I don't know how she got into this but the question is my drivers license is up in NOV. nothing about her sorry. Renewal for five year license is coming up.

I don't know if it still stands, but a few years ago you couldn't apply for your 5 year license until the one year license had run out? Tit

jb1

• Like 1