Learning to drive in Thailand

Shoeboat

Please note: I HAVE NO DESIRE TO DRIVE IN THAILAND.

But I am enquiring as to wether I can get an international license here (legitimately) which would allow me to drive in Europe/UK/US.

Basically, can I save myself a bunch of cash by getting an international license while I am here?

As others have said there is no international licence, only an international driving permit which is a multi language translation of your licence and is only valid for 1 year.

Can you get a Thai licence. It depends, you must a visa, not a tourist visa, usually Non-o visa or extension of stay

You must then do your test, driving and written. Then with all the other required documents you will get a 1 year licence at the end of a year on renewal, in Thailand, you will get a 5 year licence.

AFIK it is only the 5 year licence that can allow you to get a licence in other country's without having to take the full driving test and that will vary by country and will change over time.

For example in Japan I got a car licence with no test however I had to take an abbreviated test to get an unlimited motor cycle licence. FWIW I have a current UK licence valid from 1980 until 2022.

I have an International Driver Permit ( obtained in Australia ) and a Thai driving licence. It is important to note the IDP is not valid for the country in which it was obtained. Also, carry the original permit - I was fined by a Thai cop because I only had the copy.

I hear all the bitching about driving in Thailand, and I don't understand why falangs can't assimilate the concept of defensive driving. If you want to meet some genuine maniacs, I suggest a visit to the state of Victoria in Australia.

• Like 2

The Thai driving license works fine most places in the world. I successfully rented cars in Norway, Sweden, France and Italy with it. No questions asked. I have been stopped by the police in Norway and Italy. No questions asked. Though the police in Norway checked if I ever lost my license and checked that I was a foreign resident. They also informed me that it could be used up to one year, if I ever decided to move back there.

• Like 2

When I got my local license, while waiting, was watching the thai drivers taking their practical tests.

First surprise: everyone had to bring their own car to the test...best to avoid driving test days near these centers.

Second surprise: while about 7 out of 10 failed the simple drive forward-reverse back-park by the curb between 2 poles test....in the and 9 out of 10 got the license anyway.

But it was a nice show to put on, and I am sure the officials doing great business under the table.

So, there is plenty hope for anyone! :)

The Thai driving license works fine most places in the world. I successfully rented cars in Norway, Sweden, France and Italy with it. No questions asked. I have been stopped by the police in Norway and Italy. No questions asked. Though the police in Norway checked if I ever lost my license and checked that I was a foreign resident. They also informed me that it could be used up to one year, if I ever decided to move back there.

Actually as much as it worth, my EU country driving license works in Thailand just fine as well, never had any problem with it ( over 12 yrs here), for that matter even for small motorbike the police were happy with it.

No international driving permit. Never had, never asked for.

But I am enquiring as to wether I can get an international license here (legitimately) which would allow me to drive in Europe/UK/US.

Basically, can I save myself a bunch of cash by getting an international license while I am here?

Basically yes, as Crossy says in post no 2 - although depends on how long you are here.

You would have to apply for the 1 year licence and renew at the end of that first year for a 5 year (need a long term visa of some description) and then apply for a Thai International Driving permit which only lasts one year.

There is no such thing as an International "Licence".

If you go this route please make sure you notify us when you will be driving abroad and where so TV members can be sure to avoid you..........laugh.png

You can obtain an International Driving Permit which allows you to drive in the UK, my wife had one, but they only last a year.

Been here 17 years , ain't never seen a driving school or L plates.

Must be in the sticks, see them all the time in Bangkok, not every country has "L" plates, whatever that is? (rhetorically speaking) Never seen one either there nor here in my home country, the US. Only the license has a learners designation. Amazing how people project the rules from their own home country on other countries regs without even bothering to find out otherwise?

Start with a small scooter to learn the rules of the road and to get acquainted with the dangerous habits of Thai drivers.

Yes start with one of those so you never make it to the car license having been run over or crashed into a tree first facepalm.gif ..Always better to start learning with something MORE dangerous and distracting to learn on that is NOTHING like what you'd be driving rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif .. Better to go visit some go kart centers and try to beat some little Thai boys first, at least it drives somewhat like a car does..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Been here 17 years , ain't never seen a driving school or L plates.

They are all over the place, usually they have road signs plastered outside the shop. I did not pass until I was 41, never too old to learn. Would the joke Thai licence get you an international one ? Never driven in this country though and hope never to either!

Crossy already answered this in post #1..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Refer to post #1 by Crossy, to summarize you must have a basic license for a year, then apply for a 5 year, receive that and THEN you can get an international license, I'm glad too since we have enough people here already who can't drive, (here being the US). It concerns me when someone is requesting to learn to do something and the first post accurately tells them how to go about it and they completely read right past it, that is NOT someone I'd like to be driving next to with my family in my car honestly as it speaks to larger attention & focus issues.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If you go this route please make sure you notify us when you will be driving abroad and where so TV members can be sure to avoid you..........laugh.png

Give the bloke some encouragement, nobody was born with the ability to drive, not even TV members smile.png Although it's true driving here is apaling the best driver I have ever seen was a 19 year old Thai girl who had one driving lesson.

Ok, I encourage him to stay there and learn to drive and NOT come over here until he can do it very well, if nothing else, it's a good place to learn to be more defensive or die trying and that can't be a bad thing necessarily.. Good enough?

Edited by WarpSpeed

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A friend started to teach his wife to drive and then handed her over to 'a driving instructor' in Pattaya. Next time he let her drive, she had started to drive out onto main roads without looking Why are you doing this? The instructor had told her not to look or else she would be afraid to drive out!

Basically, the OP just needs to learn how to manipulate a car, maybe an automatic, learn the answers to the Thai theoretical test (are tanks allowed on the road, what is the maximum distance your wheels are allowed to be from the kerb when you park....). The test is a joke. Go to a test centre and ask.

I dunno about obtaining an IDP, should be doable.

My girlfriend failed her test the first time for parking to far from the kerb. She passed at the second attempt and got a 5-year licence as they had it on their computer that she had held a driving licence some time ago.

Business visa is fine to get a licence.

You have to wait for the 1 year licence to expire before you can get the 5 year, which can then be used to get the IDP.

IDP is valid for a year, but check your destination country's ruling on such things as how long you can use the IDP (or your Thai licence) before you need to take a test.

IIRC the UK allows you to use the Thai licence for 12 months.

Not any more. I renewed my 1-year licence a few days before it expired and obtained a 5-year licence (actually closer to 6 years as it expires on my birthday following the original expiry date of the 1-year licence). I believe that your licence can be renewed up to 2 months in advance.

Get yourself a licence here - no problem.

In UK you can drive on a Thai licence for one year - no need for International Licence

After one year convert the Thai licence to a UK licence

The Chinese do this all the time. They travel to HK stay with relatives and get a HK driving licence very cheap. Then they return to UK and their Chinese take away and after one year convert their licence to a UK licence.

With a UK licence you can drive freely in any EU country

Useful to know.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

OP please do not just pass the test but find someone to teach you "Safe driving for life" in the interest of your own and any passengers safety.

If you only pass the test and then go out on the road alone you will have no clue how to handle a vehicle at speed, in inclement weather, or in the dark and not know how to deal with situations arising some of which can be deadly (literally) serious.

In the uk where driving is much more civilized it is now recommended a 17 year old needs 45 hours professional tuition + private practise. The older you are, the longer it takes to learn a new skill.

Can you ride a bicycle and swim? Driving is very much about coordination.

Would I have to BE driving for a year to renew?

Yes because although not law, you need the experience before driving in Europe. Also be aware that if you were to drive "Thai style" in Europe/UK you are going to create a lot of near misses, possibly accidents and certainly road rage incidents.

Its a totally different driving style to Thailand. What you are proposing is down right bloody dangerous.
Would you jump straight into the deep end of a swimming pool you'd never been in before if you'd only had a couple of swimming lessons?

UK Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor for 24 years.
Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents Advanced Test Gold certificate 9 years.

Edited by Lancashirelad

In UK you can drive on a Thai licence for one year - no need for International Licence

The Chinese do this all the time. They travel to HK stay with relatives and get a HK driving licence very cheap. Then they return to UK and their Chinese take away and after one year convert their licence to a UK licence.

You cannot convert a Thai licence to a uk licence. It would be necessary to pass both theory and practical tests.

You can only exchange if you are a uk resident and your existing licence was issued in a European country or one of the following designated countries:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

You cannot convert a Thai licence to a uk licence. It would be necessary to pass both theory and practical tests.

You can only exchange if you are a uk resident and your existing licence was issued in a European country or one of the following designated countries:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

I bet the driving standards in Zimbabwe are really high.