Mass arrest of drug addicts in Bangkok

webfact

Mass arrest of drug addicts in capital

BANGKOK: -- A combined force of 250 soldiers, police, narcotic and city officials, and sniffing dogs raided 18 populated communities near Wat Pak Nam Pasicharoen temple in Bangkok and rounded up 66 drug addicts.

The simultaneous raids on these communities in Pasicharoen district began at dawn under the policy of the National Council for Peace and Order to send drug addicts to undergo rehabilitation courses and return them back to the societies.

Authorities knocked at the doors of suspected targets houses and carried on-the-spot urine tests of people.

A total of 66 persons, including three females, were tested positive to drugs. They were detained and would be sent to rehabilitation centres for treatment under the military junta’s policy for rehabilitation before returning them to their families.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mass-arrest-drug-addicts-capital/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-09

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem here is that Thailand classes any drug users as addicts. Most drug users are not a burden on society or their families. This type of hard line stance on drugs can in fact be more detrimental to the lives to those that take them, (or family, friends and associates of those that take them), than the drugs themselves.

Edited by TallPalm
  • Like 2

They'll be using again when they get out no doubt. At least they didn't kill them like Taksin did 12 years ago.

You know your right, but there wasn't the drug problem like there is now, when he instigated his"NO Bull$hit" policy, the drug problem pretty much disappeared off the streets. Now it is everywhere, not just easy going pot, but very dangerous, life ruining drugs like crystal meth for one. I say bring it back, especially for repeat offenders.wai.gif

The drug rehab debate aside: I find it more disconcerting that the "Authorities knocked at the doors of suspected targets houses and carried on-the-spot urine tests of people." Based on what? Any search warrant presented? This is not on the streets but in your own home. What if you refuse or don;t answer the door? What next? The downside of martial law may be rearing it's head.

I've have heard that authorities use the lists from rehabilitation centers for that. No, it doesn't strike me as a great encouragement for addicts to enter rehabilitation.

Why no arrests and forced rehabilitation for people addicted to tobacco or alcohol?

There is a huge number of alcoholic police officers in Thailand

I think you'll find that's a world-wide situation.

Also, I don't agree with this approach of raiding communities and pulling addicts out of their homes into forced rehab. As others have said, this is not a lasting solution to the problem, but more importantly I think it says a lot about the backwards methods and approaches to societal problems the self-appointed new leader will take. A bad sign, I think.

• Like 1

The drug rehab debate aside: I find it more disconcerting that the "Authorities knocked at the doors of suspected targets houses and carried on-the-spot urine tests of people." Based on what? Any search warrant presented? This is not on the streets but in your own home. What if you refuse or don;t answer the door? What next? The downside of martial law may be rearing it's head.

I've have heard that authorities use the lists from rehabilitation centers for that. No, it doesn't strike me as a great encouragement for addicts to enter rehabilitation.

66 just did.

Why no arrests and forced rehabilitation for people addicted to tobacco or alcohol?

Why not arrest and ban all moralist killjoys from the country ?burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

That would be too harsh, they should just learn to mind their own business and let people do as they like as long as they don't become a burden or a threat to others.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They'll be using again when they get out no doubt. At least they didn't kill them like Taksin did 12 years ago.

It's a little more complicated than that if you bother to read rather than just restate the memes.

But, yes, arresting and "rehabilitating" is a complete waste of time as has been found over and over around the world. That won't solve anything, least of all user's addictions.

Rehab works for lots of people, actually. But I am interested to hear your solution then.

A bit of buyer's remorse rearing its head?

This report, if true, is in direct violation of the stated policy and orders of General Prime Minister NCPO Chief Sarit Chan-ocha, who said there would NOT be arrests of addicts, or detention of addicts, but there would be a policy of voluntary treatment of addicts and of petty sellers. The question is whether these people are defying him successfully, or testing the limits of defiance.

Don't blame Prayuth. All these people are doing is showing again that the military can't run the day-to-day affairs of the country.

You know your right, but there wasn't the drug problem like there is now, when he instigated his"NO Bull$hit" policy, the drug problem pretty much disappeared off the streets. Now it is everywhere, not just easy going pot, but very dangerous, life ruining drugs like crystal meth for one. I say bring it back, especially for repeat offenders.wai.gif

Drugs did not dissapear during the war on drugs.

They just put the prices up.

Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

set you back a bit did it ?

Go back to the US. You got no clue buddy!

b