Michel Platini threatens retired Franck Ribery with suspension

SantiSuk

Not sure whether posting a link to a Telegraph article is permitted but here goes:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddV3a?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=world-football

The gist is that apparently no footballer can retire from international football as their country has the right to call them up at any age and if they refuse then it's a 3 match club ban. Most countries do not exercise that right but France has done it before (Claude Makele 33) and may do it again for Ribery 31.

Seems to me that there should be an age at which a footballer can announce he does not wish to be selected with impunity. I would have thought that would be nearer 33 than 31. Maybe have a right to appeal for earlier withdrawal where it can be shown that the player has limited playing time for health reasons a la Ledley King.

What am I missing ? A player can't retire from international play when he wants to without a penalty ? Is this a way to keep players form retiring and then "un-retiring" ? Can they do that anyway ? Football is a great sport but there is some weird shit that goes on.blink.png

I did a quick google search and the charges for Ribery and Benzema were dropped in January of this year.

Back on topic: <deleted>?

You HAVE to play for nationalteam or risk a club suspension? Never heard of this and wish I never did hear of it quite frankly. If this is true, its gotta be one of the stupidest things I have heard of...and I have been living in Thailand for over a year now.

• Like 1

I hope Ribery tells Platini to shove it up his 'arris.

And then if Platini tries to enforce it, sues the testicles off him.

Him AND his club would win it easily under European contract and labour law.

What justification is Platini using ? Is this executive fiat ? So he decides not to challenge Blatter but begins to emulate him immediately.blink.png

First I'd heard about this 'rule' too, but as the article says the rule is there to stop clubs putting pressure on their players to take retirement as a means of getting their full service exclusively for the club/avoiding injuries. I guess a cynical organisation like FIFA expects others in football to behave cynically and frankly they are probably right! Can see the sense in making it an objective for the broader good of football to have international team football maintained as a showpiece for the game.

First I'd heard about this 'rule' too, but as the article says the rule is there to stop clubs putting pressure on their players to take retirement as a means of getting their full service exclusively for the club/avoiding injuries. I guess a cynical organisation like FIFA expects others in football to behave cynically and frankly they are probably right! Can see the sense in making it an objective for the broader good of football to have international team football maintained as a showpiece for the game.

I couldn't give a toss about international football.

It's boring cr ap and you don't really have any affinity with most of the players.

aaah, haven't seen it from that angle. Unfortunately, I guess, it makes sense. Though it seems like something just wasn't thought through properly. I'll have to read the article closely.

yep good post, but surely in terms of players wanting to represent their country it cant have a positive outcome and cherry picking players to impose the ruling on will surely be counter productive . as someone said they'de lose under european employment law ,so why force the issue. seems not a particulary astute move by platers, unless of coarse he has ultra objectives!!!

Do players sign a contract when they begin playing international football for their country? If they do not, on what grounds can FIFA/UEFA impose a penalty on a player who does not wish to continue to represent their country? Surely this is an indivual rights issue that would surely be upheld in the European court.

Edited by PREM-R
  • Like 1

Do players sign a contract when they begin playing international football for their country? If they do not, on what grounds can FIFA/UEFA impose a penalty on a player who does not wish to continue to represent their country? Surely this is an indivual rights issue that would surely be upheld in the European court.

I guess there will be a contract or agreement of some sort when a player starts with an international team but it needs to be caught earlier than that as FIFA rules require that a player must make himself available to his nation whether he has yet played or not.

I'm almost certain that it will be in the FA's standard contract between club and player which is almost certainly required to be filed with the FA at the time of applying to the FA to register a player to play for the club team. For the very reason that you imply, lawyers will have got this one covered. {Source: a quick persual of the FA's website, which has tons of standard guidance forms and contracts in its governance section}