We need jobs, 200 beach operators tell Phuket governor

Lite Beer

We need jobs, 200 beach operators tell Phuket governor

Saran Mitrarat

1410263739_1-org.jpg

Surrounded by beach operators and reporters, Gov Maitri appeals for patience.

PHUKET: Over 200 former beach operators in Phuket, some in tears, some angry, braced Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut near Provincial Hall in Phuket Town this morning, pleading for his help in getting jobs after three months of unemployment.

With them they brought a list of all the beach umbrella, massage and bucket sales people from every beach in Phuket – a list of more than 1,000 businesses.

“We’ve had no jobs for more than three months. We want to know what should we do to make a living,” the President of the Karon Beach Umbrella Group, Sunan Boonwat, told the Phuket News.

“We also do not understand why it is only in Phuket that officials have cleared the beaches. I still see Pattaya beach umbrella people operating as normal,” he added.

“In Karon, we have been on the beach for more than 30 years – before any hotels were built there. We began procedures to register an official umbrella club in 1980, and received official approval in 1986,” he said.

“But when it became popular, they ordered us to move and stop doing what we had always done for a living,” he complained.

“I don’t know how can I find another job to replace this one.” Gov Maitri affirmed that he would try to find solutions to their plight before the coming high season.

“Everything is changing fast during the current reorganisation,” he said. “This may be uncomfortable for some people but they should prepare themselves to accept it.

“It is not a first time I have received this kind of complaint from beach operators. They hand me letters like this every time I inspect beaches,” he added.

“We will try our best to help them by providing similar jobs but in hotels, or by looking for another job for them, or by setting up a [legal] area for them,” he explained.

Asked why only Phuket had had its beaches wiped clean of illegal businesses, he replied, “We are the role model for all beaches in Thailand. Different place have different management. The start that has been made in Phuket may be followed in other provinces.”

Asked about the possibility of managing things in a way that would allow beach operators back onto the beach, he said, “Logically, we can’t do that.”

With the whole country under martial law and gatherings of more than five people in public places banned, The Phuket News asked Col Somchai Ponatong of the Army’s 41st Military Circle how this gathering of 200 people could have taken place,

He replied, “We will not arrest people [who gather] unless they make trouble or annoy other people.

“They just gathering to hand over a letter to the governor; they didn’t bother anyone at this stage. However, everything that was done today was recorded on video. If they had made any trouble, we would have had the evidence to arrest them,” he explained.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/we-need-jobs-200-beach-operators-tell-phuket-governor-48651.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-09

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We’ve had no jobs for more than three months.”

Who’s stopping you from looking for one?

“We want to know what should we do to make a living”

I’m not your daddy.

“I don’t know how can I find another job to replace this one.”

I’ll bet not.

Now, perhaps you should join the non-criminal, civil world.

“…they ordered us to move and stop doing what we had always done for a living,”

Well, what you “had always done for a living” was, engage in criminal activity.

“We will try our best to help them by providing similar jobs but in hotels, or by looking for another job for them”

There ya go! You have a daddy!

And they don’t have to but, they are willing to help stear you away from your life of crime.

“Asked why (only) Phuket had had its beaches wiped clean of illegal businesses

Mr. President, you just don’t get it…wai2.gif wai.gif

“With the whole country under martial law and gatherings of more than five people in public places banned,

The Phuket News asked Col Somchai Ponatong of the Army’s 41st Military Circle how this gathering of 200 people could have taken place,

He replied, “We will not arrest people [who gather] unless they make trouble or annoy other people.”

Hmmm...

• Like 1

"This may be uncomfortable for some people but they should prepare themselves to accept it."

Sound advise.

Some may praise the governor for standing firm, but the reality is he has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is the military these people have a beef with, not the governor.

They shouldn't be given the time of day. It was the same with the tuktuks and taxis - oh, we'll hold a conference and listen t your ideas. <removed> what these people think. The system needs to grow a pair and stop pandering to these criminals. You have civic rules. Tell, don't ask.

Some could/should be given work restoring the environment. There is a lot of dead coral. Working towards creating a pristine environment for the coral to thrive again would be a good thing for all concerned both short and long term...

That is a very good idea, sadly I would imagine that they would decline the offer. As someone earlier said, these people don't want to work for their money. Thats why they are squealing so loudly.

Some could/should be given work restoring the environment. There is a lot of dead coral. Working towards creating a pristine environment for the coral to thrive again would be a good thing for all concerned both short and long term...

Great idea. But it would require them to actually work.

there is more then enough job in thailand if they really want to work , but are they ready to work ??? i don't think so . this maffia just want to stole the farang , they don't respect the rules , everything is dirty , how many do you the tourista after eating on the beach ? what about the prices ? do they pay the right taxes ? last time i go on the beach , they asked me 100 baths for 2 chairs ( normal chairs ) and one small table ( in wood ) cause i'm farang , for the thai-people 40 baths . they like to shit the farangs , it's normal for them , all this shit to be finish , it's not good for thailand . if they continue , they ll loose a lot of tourists , there is a lot of others places in Asie with nice beaches and more respect for the tourists with cheapest prices .

thailand the land of smile , right , but oly when they can shit you .