Extremely suspicious moves by property manager

Hal65

Hi, I rent a 5,500 baht/month (no frills) apartment in Bangkok. When I moved in, I prepaid 3 months rent, no deposit. That term ended on August 31. I then prepaid 2 months, no deposit.

9 days later the property manager has come back to me saying "she needed to check the condition of my furniture". We walked from the front area up the stairs to my room. As soon as she got in my room she pulled out my lease and a new one, saying the owner did not accept the lease I printed and signed with her.

She asked me to start a new lease which was almost the same as the old one except written in both Thai and English and much more restrictive (for example, no guests allowed at all). It also required an extra security deposit.

I was confused and thrown off. It was clear that whoever was above her did not like the lease that she signed with me. And I do not think that old lease is bullet proof, because it is written in English only, and I hear all leases must be written in Thai.

I also do not like the suspicious circumstances She was clearly dishonest about why she wanted to come into my room, and she kept saying "please help me" as I objected to this new surprise lease. it is evident that something is not quite "straight and arrow" here.

She said something about crediting the money I paid and I just pay the deposit extra, but it seemed to involve some level of "wink wink" and trust so I rejected it. When she could tell that I wouldn't be signing the lease, she immediately got up, said okay I will figure out something and we can talk a bit more tomorrow. She seemed a bit scared.

Now I'm in this strange place where I'm not sure if my lease is valid anymore, I don't know how the court system works, I'm a foreigner and the military government doesn't seem too friendly.

It's an awkward place to be. If I was in the United States I would just tell the property manager we signed a lease and I'll be glad to renegotiate once the lease expires. As a practical matter I'm not sure if that's my best option here.

What do you guys advise?

Thanks

PS: I will also note that the front area was drastically cleaned out recently. It used to look like a hangout space for the property manager: couch, fish tank, pictures on the wall, TV set. Now there is nothing in there except a desk with chairs on both sides, and a wall fan.

Edited by Hal65

"Extremely suspicious"...

Your mind seems to be suspicious!

The owner should have a document for their own protection. Renting out property (to falang no less) is not without risk and it seems you have a problem with a formal agreement.

Keep in mind; the current agreement is not a legal document in Thai law. Do you really want to be ejected at the whim of the owner ?

I suggest you sign the new lease with a smile offering reassurance that you'll take good care of the residence and you're happy the owner wishes to do business in a formal manner.

PS: I will also note that the front area was drastically cleaned out recently. It used to look like a hangout space for the property manager: couch, fish tank, pictures on the wall, TV set. Now there is nothing in there except a desk with chairs on both sides, and a wall fan

Take photos of the current condition and make sure it'd like that when you hand the keys back.

Simple.

She seemed a bit scared

...because you're objecting to a reasonable request to put down a deposit against damage.

I seriously suggest you wai to this woman and make her a cup of coffee. Why make her job so difficult?

If they now ask for three months rent as deposit, and communication has already broken down, good luck trying to negotiate less when you've already upset all the Thais around you... and already moved in.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

It sounds like maybe the manager screwed up and didn't follow everything the owner wanted. Now perhaps the manager is in a bad spot between you and the owner. That could be the fear you perceived.

If you don't cave to what they want now, it will be back to bite you in 2 months. Why not just agree to what they want, get the manager off the hook, and if you really don't like it, move in 2 months (or not?)

Yeah my main concern is handing over money that may never be credited against my rent or deposit. The way the property manager lied to get into my room with me privately, and then suddenly whip out some contracts and try to coerce me to quickly sign through guilt has put me on edge (please help me, please help me).

But the reality is that it's unlikely she is pulling some kind of scam. It's more likely that she just messed up somewhere And is ashamed about it and/or trying to cover her tracks.

That plus this excessive restrictions in the lease is making me wonder if I should look into vacating. I'm thinking it over.

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

Update: 3 guys came to my door today, 2 Indians and a Chinese guy. 1 of the Indians explained to me in English that their previous property manager was running all kinds of small scams and being charged with fraud. Apparently they were the owners of the place and finally cleaning up their operation.

I'm sure glad I didn't pay any extra money to the old property manager now. Truth be told I might have if she didn't act so suspicious; thankfully the meek Thai culture in her gave her away.

Update, it turns out the former property manager made off with a hefty sum of deposits and prepaid rent. She was going around trying to collect any last amount she could before she made off that day.

On the positive side, the owners said they would honor any rent and deposit that was already paid.

Be wary guys. the Thais seem sweet and innocent on the surface but if you sense anything awry, go with your gut and be conservative. They will scam you if given the opportunity, and you may not have as generous of a property owner as I do.