Weather bureau assurance: Thailand need not worry about flooding

webfact

Weather bureau assurance: Thailand need not worry about flooding

BANGKOK, 10 September 2014 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department is certain that there should be no worry about severe flooding in the near term.

Acting Director-General of the Meteorological Department Songkran Agsorn said that the average speed of the movement of the monsoon trough over Thailand during the past 30 years, shows the situation has never been severe in September.

Mr. Songkran’s statement was in response to concerns from academics about possible heavy downpours from the active low pressure trough over the country.

The Meteorological Department’s acting Director-General said that the present trough will slowly move down to the South before leaving the country as it always has.

However, he warned that there could still be more rain after the 15th of September as a result of rain clouds currently present over the Philippines, as they could transform into a strong low pressure area or a depression.

But Mr. Songkran believes that even under such circumstances, the volume of rain won't be too worrisome as it probably will not be excessive.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-10 footer_n.gif

Thailand need not worry about flooding

Doesn't mean it won't happen, just don't WORRY about it! Makes sense. If we don't worry about it then we will not bother country officials to actual do something about it. Now, everyone, kindly place your head in the sand and repeat after me, "I will not worry, I will not worry." Feeling better already. thumbsup.gif

As soon as these idiots tell you not to worry you should run for the hills. Lost count of the times such tripe is uttered by useless individuals in positions of authority who wouldn't get a job cleaning streets in the West. They have no idea what they are doing and only open their mouths to look important.

This is what I would call a "Michael Fish moment".

Any of you UK expats remember the hurricane that wasn't supposed to happen back in 1987?

I remember it very well as I was right in the middle of it.

Have never trusted any weather man ever since.

For all the sophisticated equipment they have and the satellite tracking I still prefer to use my old pine cone and a bit of seaweed lmao.

Edited by pendingo

As the Thai gov. also said in 1942, in 1996 and in 2012

Happily in all these years there was NO flooding. Only a slight increase of the water level.

I also remember the bird flue some years ago... it was not in Thailand .. later: it was over... and all on the same newspaper was again a deadly cassualty.

HiSoLowSoNoSo, on 10 Sept 2014 - 11:45, said:

Several northern Thai provinces under deep floodwater (in another news story today)

Yeahh, don't worry!

Maybe he means, those in HiSo, and "protected" industrial, areas need not worry. I'm sure his words are already wasted on those who are already in flooded areas.... I wonder what would happen if he went to these areas and proclaimed "don't worry."

• Like 1