Educating the Whole Student

bazmlb

These classrooms hardly seem concerned with overcrowding here at Ariya Vichit Pundit School where teachers currently outnumber students and a large class size is 3-4 students at a time.

Of course. And how much is tuition for Ariya Vichit Pundit School, and how many rural villagers in the bottom rungs of the economic ladder could afford to attend?

How wonderful that Thailand has private schools to fill the void left by an inefficient, and largely ineffective educational system for those who cannot afford the luxury of private education. So the stop-gap measures of creating private, for profit schools targeted at the middle and upper classes of Thai society does little to address the disparity in educational opportunities afforded to those Thais who just 'scrape by' on meager incomes. But the problem lays squarely with the ingrained cultural mindset that is unwilling to admit mistakes, learn from mistakes, and change, not to mention the complete inability to question 'authority figures'. What a lesson in life: don't make mistakes and don't ask questions. And how is learning suppose to take place?
Change will come from the outside, most likely when Thailand is unable to keep pace with other neighboring countries in the ASEAN community who have embraced and thrived in the global economy. Until then, savvy businessmen and businesswomen will make great money supplying the educational needs of the children of the well-to-do, while the those relying on a public education will continue to just get by with a curriculum of rote repetition and memorization of things that have little to do with education in the 21th century.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

I do hope they do not do away with beating the crap out of a child for not doing their homework...or doing well on a test...

Trying to saw off an ear is also one of my favorite ways for a teacher to show their superior intellect and compassion...

Ah yes...the perks of being a teacher...all those students who need to be severely disciplined...so many students...so little time...

Edited by ggt

I currently work for the largest private school in all southeast Asia, and the bottom line is the hubris of the Thai administration will overcome ANY suggestions or mandates made to them. The ridiculous way this school is run has us foreign teachers shaking our heads in wonder how they managed to get to be the leaders of the Thai education system. The key is that the schoolgrounds are immaculate (I recently witnessed the Thai principle scrubbing the driveway with soap and a handbrush!), so if it LOOKS good it must BE good. This is indemic throughout all Thai schools. Until they are willing to drop the mask and prepare to lose face graciously (I laugh even as I type this), it will be business as usual. Same-same, different day. blink.png

Edited by quandow
  • Like 1

I have posted this before, but it is still relevant. Thailand's educational system is a shambles, but so are most other countries' systems--including developed Western countries.

Thailand is not the only country doing poorly in Math, Science, Reading, Geography, History or any other subject, except perhaps, playing video games.

I have been involved in course development at two Western universities. The primary trend in both curricula was to lessen the complexity of the assignments. One fully-accredited university's business program chair even suggested a simulation program to replace the research, analysis and writing assignments in the capstone course of their MBA program--a video game in place of a research and development project.

It is strikingly apparent, the Educational Philosophy of the 21st Century; dumb down the assignments.

For example, math skills are atrocious worldwide. Let’s take a look at the same math problem over the years:

1950’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 4/5 of them for a 30% profit each. Without using a slide rule, calculate the percentage between his initial purchase price and his total sales?

1970’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for a 30% profit each. Without using a calculator, compute his profit over his initial purchase price?

1990’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for $6.50 each. Has he recovered his investment in teapots; Yes or No?

2010’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for $6.50 each. Underline the number 80.

• Like 1

I have posted this before, but it is still relevant. Thailand's educational system is a shambles, but so are most other countries' systems--including developed Western countries.

Thailand is not the only country doing poorly in Math, Science, Reading, Geography, History or any other subject, except perhaps, playing video games.

I have been involved in course development at two Western universities. The primary trend in both curricula was to lessen the complexity of the assignments. One fully-accredited university's business program chair even suggested a simulation program to replace the research, analysis and writing assignments in the capstone course of their MBA program--a video game in place of a research and development project.

It is strikingly apparent, the Educational Philosophy of the 21st Century; dumb down the assignments.

For example, math skills are atrocious worldwide. Let’s take a look at the same math problem over the years:

1950’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 4/5 of them for a 30% profit each. Without using a slide rule, calculate the percentage between his initial purchase price and his total sales?

1970’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for a 30% profit each. Without using a calculator, compute his profit over his initial purchase price?

1990’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for $6.50 each. Has he recovered his investment in teapots; Yes or No?

2010’s Math

A vendor has 100 teapots which cost him $5 each. He sells 80 of them for $6.50 each. Underline the number 80.

You've obviously ben teaching in Thailand for quite a while! wai.giffacepalm.gif

1950’s Math

1970’s Math

1990’s Math

2010’s Math

You've obviously ben teaching in Thailand for quite a while! wai.giffacepalm.gif

No, I don't teach in Thailand, I am retired.

Thai students don’t have any ‘skin’ in the game. Everything is served/thrown at them by the teacher. Students are not taught to learn for themselves.

“They expect a steady progression along a learning curve, which coincides with the amount of time they spend in classes. … Everything else — their personal struggles to master knowledge and skills in sports, software, games, or music they take to be ‘teaching yourself’ and an inferior way of learning.”

“She Didn’t Teach. We Had to Learn it Ourselves.”

These classrooms hardly seem concerned with overcrowding here at Ariya Vichit Pundit School where teachers currently outnumber students and a large class size is 3-4 students at a time.

Of course. And how much is tuition for Ariya Vichit Pundit School, and how many rural villagers in the bottom rungs of the economic ladder could afford to attend?

[...]

Until then, savvy businessmen and businesswomen will make great money supplying the educational needs of the children of the well-to-do, while the those relying on a public education will continue to just get by with a curriculum of rote repetition and memorization of things that have little to do with education in the 21th century.

Connda, I agree and it is a very astute observation you make. Many, or indeed the majority, of Thai families and students do not have the access and opportunity to a school like Ariya Vichit Pundit, nor could they afford to attend most other private schools in Thailand probably. The economic disparity that exists in Thailand, and many other countries including western ones as noted in the comments, makes such opportunity limited. I do not know specifically what the tuition for this private school might be, but that is beside the point as you aptly note - no matter what it is, it is probably cost prohibitive to most.

The point I think is the model the school might offer. Nobody can claim intellectual property rights on a positive educational philosophy, you can't copyright or patent that sort of thing. If it is good, people like it, if it is successful; anyone and any school - public or private - could choose to adopt those philosophies if they work! As the story says and other comments here note, the current public Thai educational system suffers from a tired ideology centered on spoon-feeding basic skills, memorization tasks that are sprinkled with a dash of nationalism. This ignores creativity and the 'thinking outside the box' that modern education needs. If any new, alternative educational ideas are working, no matter the nature of the institution that comes up with them, others can still use it as an example.

Back to the point of Ariya Vichit Pundit School regarding access and opportunity you raise, you are correct that it is not for everyone. You get distinct the impression when speaking with Dr. Patcharis that she understands this and takes it in stride. The school knows they have only a limited number of potential pupils and hopes that the education they are giving the students will translate into creating better business leaders and perhaps even politicians of the future. Dr. Patcharis believes that the educating of the 'whole student' and working to create a, 'Good Human', can potentially result in untold benefits to the Thai community as a whole. That these new leaders would lead with a sound mind and from the heart.

It is ambitious thinking sure, but you can't fault a person for trying. Especially when their heart is in the right place.

Edited by EnigmaBurn