New Zealander charged with sex assaults on drugged backpackers

webfact

New Zealander charged with sex assaults on drugged backpackers

WELLINGTON - A New Zealand hotelier allegedly videotaped himself indecently assaulting at least 16 foreign male tourists after drugging them while they stayed at his backpacker lodge, police said Wednesday.

Police said 56-year-old Michael Harris appeared in court on 39 charges including indecent assault, drugging a victim and making and possessing intimate recordings.

They said the alleged sex attacks were carried out on 16 males aged between 18 and 25 over the past three years at a backpacker lodge in the North Island town of Kaitaia, which is in the popular Northland tourist area.

All of the men whom Harris is accused of attacking were international tourists, police said. They did not release their nationalities.

Detective Senior Sergeant Rhys Johnston said there could be more victims and appealed for them to come forward.

"These victims are unlikely to know that something has happened to them, although they may have suspicions," he said.

"We will deal sensitively with them and offer all appropriate support required."
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/New-Zealander-charged-with-sex-assaults-on-drugged-30242960.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-10

I certainly hope that the police handle the victims more sensitively than posters on TV do.

I suspect that some of us wouldn't have posted humoristic (or tasteless, depending on your view on them) comments if it wasn't stated the following in the opening post: "These victims are unlikely to know that something has happened to them, although they may have suspicions"

I am not insensitive, but I hesitate to say that I feel their pain. Actually, I'd rather not... but I empathize.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I certainly hope that the police handle the victims more sensitively than posters on TV do.

Aaw...Scott...you are so sensitive...you been to New Zealand?

I suspect that some of us wouldn't have posted humoristic (or tasteless, depending on your view on them) comments if it wasn't stated the following in the opening post: "These victims are unlikely to know that something has happened to them, although they may have suspicions"

I am not insensitive, but I hesitate to say that I feel their pain. Actually, I'd rather not... but I empathize.

Empathize or sympathize? There's a huge difference.

Empathize or sympathize? There's a huge difference.

Sorry, yes, sympathize is the correct verb here. I am not a native English speaker and I sometimes don't use the appropriate words to express my views in English.