Child with my wife - Dual nationality.?

, i got my kids registered as british and all with british passports and i didn't pay £1000

Maybe your children were born in wedlock, unlike SD's son.

Not to say he has to pay however, as I think Richard W above is right.

Edited by paz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

, i got my kids registered as british and all with british passports and i didn't pay £1000

Maybe your children were born in wedlock, unlike SD's son.

It must have been a long time ago if apiwan registered them as British. Is apiwan sure he didn't just register their births? Nowadays, registering a child as British costs £669 a head.

For already being British, it doesn't make any difference whether Sena Dave's son is legitimate or legitimated.

I didnt know until Friday last week that you had to pay almost 700 quid to be Britsh . I suppose when you consider the Embassy charging 50 quid for a Notary stamp, its about par for the course.

Ive been all round the houses with this since last Friday. Apparently registering the Birth at the embassy has no bearing on Citizenship or British passport eligibility, Consular birth cert is really just something to frame and put on your wall.

I spoke to 2 British based Immigration advisers and both said I'd need to regsister him as a British citizen because a) He was born in Thaland and B) he was born out of wedlock c) His mother was not British. I dont think either one of these can get in the way of automatic citizenship but all 3 together have done ,Even registering at the Embassy means nothing (As above).

I suppose Ive taken the easy way out and just paid the money to get it done, but I wouldnt fancy another 6 months running round in circles like I have been this last few days

Thanks for your advice gents , at the end of it all the Boy gets his Britiish Passport that will open up all sorts of opportunities for him in the future

Ive been all round the houses with this since last Friday. Apparently registering the Birth at the embassy has no bearing on Citizenship or British passport eligibility, Consular birth cert is really just something to frame and put on your wall.

Almost. However, as a copy can be issued in the UK, it appears to be as good as a British birth certificate for proving that one may work or occupy rented accommodation.

I spoke to 2 British based Immigration advisers and both said I'd need to regsister him as a British citizen because a) He was born in Thaland and cool.png he was born out of wedlock c) His mother was not British. I dont think either one of these can get in the way of automatic citizenship but all 3 together have done ,Even registering at the Embassy means nothing (As above).

(a) gets in the way if the British parent is British by descent as opposed, say, to being born in Britain or naturalised.

(cool.png gets in the way for children born before before 2006. For children born since then, it doesn't, though demonstrating paternity can be more difficult. However, the advisers should have known that legitimation remedies this defect.

© is rarely relevant, though it can block special rules for stateless children.

I'm not aware of any way that these factors interact, though (cool.png and © probably led to (a).

It's a little frustrating that you won't tell us whether you are British by descent. (If you were born in Britain, you won't be.)

Sorry wasn't dodging the question , I was born in the UK to British parents , so British by Birth

I understand that you spoke in person to the embassy/consulate ? Or you may need an appointment for that. And if is not positive you can contest the answer with further communication to them and whatever is the organization that oversee consulate activities. Because it seems hard to believe they won't follow the law in a case that is not complex and surely not unprecedented.

The problem is, To the Home office , he doesn't exist. The only way to make him "Exist" is to submit "Registering a child Under 18 as a British citizen" 700 quid

I've been flummoxed by it as well, Ive spoken to the Embassy twice , I was ready to go and re-register his birth again yesterday but they told me and as I mentioned above, a consular birth cert means F/A. So if he was never registered in the UK, the only way to register him is by above Doc. apparently . he is not British by Birth as I was not married when he was born , otherwise he would be automatically British.

I'm trying to C+P a link from Gov site but for some reason I cannot

www.british-consulate.org/british-born-abroad.html

The MN1 form is on the page for those who need to register their kids. And states " British nationality is usually passed from parent to a child and your child must have automatic claim to British Nationality AT BIRTH in order to make a registration"

The problem is, To the Home office , he doesn't exist. The only way to make him "Exist" is to submit "Registering a child Under 18 as a British citizen" 700 quid

Applying for a passport for him would work just as well. Indeed, it should work even better, because they would probably refuse to register him as British on the grounds that he is a British citizen. In such a case, your registration fee should be refunded - Paragraphs 9.4.2, 9.4.3 and 9.4.5 of Registration of Minors at Discretion.

he is not British by Birth as I was not married when he was born , otherwise he would be automatically British.

Try https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen - it will tell you that your son is British, though not as clearly as you would like. It seems that some domiciles actually prevent children being legitimated by the subsequent marriage of their parents. I see no reason to believe you have had such a domicile.

I'm trying to C+P a link from Gov site but for some reason I cannot

www.british-consulate.org/british-born-abroad.html

The MN1 form is on the page for those who need to register their kids. And states " British nationality is usually passed from parent to a child and your child must have automatic claim to British Nationality AT BIRTH in order to make a registration"

So you cannot make a consular birth registration. Your son will just have to use his Thai birth certificate when he needs to provide a birth certificate, and make sure he has a recent passport when looking for a job or accommodation in the UK. You will find plenty of recommendations on this forum not to bother with a consular birth registration.

Registration as British is something very different.

Thanks , very interesting . so if he is already a British citizen they will refund my Money , doubt the lawyer will though ;0)

I'm wondering if he was legitimized when my Wife and he came to the UK to live when he was only a year old, both on whatever family visa they gave at the time

For application of passport I only have his Thai ID , Birth cert translated and Notarized ect, good enough ?

I got to a page on registering a birth and assumed your child was born before 2006 and got this.

"You can’t register your child’s birth with the UK authorities abroad. This is because unmarried fathers can’t pass on British nationality to a child born before 1 July 2006.

You may still be able to apply for British citizenship for the child.

You may also be able to register the birth if you’ve married the other parent since the child was born. Contact your local British embassy to find out."

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y/thailand/father/no/2004-02-12

I appreciate you and Paz and others time and advice you are giving me here. My last gasp attempt was to contact the Home office about his automatic right to a passport about 10 minutes ago . I had a look at the Docs I require and it would be complicated as they require load of docs and signatures of the Mother which I don't have. I think my full legal custody covers that , but I can imagine the palaver at the passport office

This may help. Or muddy the waters.

The first kid I got this from embassy. But can't get a copy online from GRO.

Not found

post-58526-14109144855145_thumb.jpg

However the second kid got this from GRO online.

Which is different but the same I think.

Both have had 2 British passports so far.

Can't remember if I was married at time of birth of first kid. Think I was

Divorce cert doesn't state date.

The second kind I do remember first passport and registration was around 17,000 baht

post-58526-14109148815621_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ubon , but its only for a consular Birth cert , which when it comes to citizenship or passport is worth F/A, It actually tells you that on the bottom of the application form. I read it again yesterday. If there was any way of not having to fork out the best part of 2k I would do it believe me and again I appreciate your help

please lets stick to the question that was asked. I have a THAI wife, my son was born in Thailand. II was born in England and carry 2 passports, one is a UK passport. when my son was born we got him a thai passport and also an UK passport, NO PROBLEM. it is legal in THAILAND for a family with dual parents to have both. IF THE COUNTRY OF YOUR BIRTH ALLOWS THIS, (CHINA does not allow dual at all) and with his UK passport he can enter the UK at anytime, as long as the passport is valied., He aslo can go and live in the UK. etc if he like to when he is old enough to do so. you do not need a visa to enter the UK on a UK passport. I take my son all over, when I travel I use the easist way the enter a country using the best passport, . dubai I use the UK one. vietinam I use his Thai, Hong Kong I can use either one to enter get the drift, do your home work first and you will find it easy. this is not hard to do, just read up about it and act .

I'm wondering if he was legitimized when my Wife and he came to the UK to live when he was only a year old, both on whatever family visa they gave at the time

For application of passport I only have his Thai ID , Birth cert translated and Notarized ect, good enough ?

I don't think so, because that does not show that he is your legitimated child. I believe you will also need your marriage certificate to prove that he was legitimated. Evidence of your wife getting a settlement visa might conceivably be usable instead. You may at some point need to answer a questionnaire that establishes your domicile when your son was born. I don't know the process in detail - you may need to ask at the sister forum Visas and Migration to Other Countries. A suitable heading might be "British Passport for Legitimated Child Living Abroad". I can imagine the passport office asking for further documents.

I hope you didn't destroy a perfectly good cardboard box on My account ;0)

If Ive read the dates right one is Post 2006 which changes the rules a bit , thanks for the info

Before or after 2006 makes a big difference. The marriage factor goes away after 2006.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y/thailand/father/no/2008-02-12/same_country

No, the first is a certificate of registration as a British citizen, making the child a British citizen. The second just records the birth of a British citizen.

No, the first is a certificate of registration as a British citizen, making the child a British citizen. The second just records the birth of a British citizen.
What's the difference?

On this link

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y/thailand/father/no/2008-02-12/same_country

If I was married says they will give you a local entry of birth.

Like the second one.

If not married will give you a certificate of registration.

Confused

Edited by apiwan

I did all my paper work in Thailand for my son. At the birtish embassy. they told me what to do and I did just that. he got his passport, that shows they have seen everything they need to see. I travel alot, so I carry with me my birth papers, (but you will need them for the british embasssy) But I never have had to show them, for my birth date is on my passport, also I have renewed my passport in Thailand, America and China, I have never send my birth papers. just filled out the paper work and send to the passport office after it was checked by the Embassy, but of this year the UK has changed the way of doing things so now I am not sure, now how it is done, That's why I carry 2 passports. you should have little trouble getting a UK passport for your child. I think mine took one day plus waiting 6 weeks for the passport to get to my house. just follow what they say and take copies of paper work with you and of course the right sized photo's of your child, the UK is very hard if the size is wrong. I have 3 sons all dual and there has never been a problem.

Hello to every1,

How long does it take to recieve a social secury or TIN number for a child after being register to the US embassy?

I would guess just a few weeks to get the social security card you will submit an application for it when you do the consular report of birth. See: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/birth-of-a-u.s.-citizen-in-thailand.html