Child with my wife - Dual nationality.?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He/she will be British and Thai (assuming you are British by birth and your wife is Thai). Whilst it is not my direct experience I know several British people here with dual nationality kids, passports for both and no visa issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if that's for life, or at a certain age the Nationality must be one or the other.

And yes, I'm a Brit with a Thai wife.

I am a UK national my Wife is Thai, both our children have both a Thai and a UK passport from when they were only a few months.

Both the UK and Thailand permit dual nationality, their are lots of posters on here in the same position.

Thank you, is that the case for life? Or only up until a certain age? Also, how about the wife/mother going to the UK or the fathers country? Normal visa procedure I'm guessing...

I am a UK national my Wife is Thai, both our children have both a Thai and a UK passport from when they were only a few months.

Both the UK and Thailand permit dual nationality, their are lots of posters on here in the same position.

Thank you, is that the case for life? Or only up until a certain age? Also, how about the wife/mother going to the UK or the fathers country? Normal visa procedure I'm guessing...

It is for life for both.

You wife would need to go through the normal visa procedure for the UK or wherever.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but I started the thread so I don't think anyone will mind to much. Supposing we had a child together, can anyone offer any advise about taking my wife to the UK.? Is it easy? Do I need a sponsor? Job? House? etc.

That is a question for the visa for other countries section.

Your child will be a UK citizen if born to a UK citizen even if born outside the UK but I think if born out of the UK the children of your children will not be automatically UK citizens.

Incorrect, when one is British "by birth" or "by descent" there is no limitation whatsoever to transmit citizensh right to its children, as opposed to citizenship "by other than descent".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#British_citizenship_by_descent

Edited by paz

Ideally you want to have the baby in the UK then the child and there children can be British.

That wasn't the question. 'if/when' we decide to have a child, he/she will most certainly be born in Thailand. It not about the child being British, it's about if the child can visit the UK, or have the choice to reside in the UK in adult life should he/she choose to.

Ideally you want to have the baby in the UK then the child and there children can be British.

No, as mentioned above, the full citizenship rights by descent are the same identical ones no matter where one is born after 1983.

From 1983

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 automatically acquires British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen other than by descent at the time of the birth.

At least one parent must be British otherwise than by descent.

The above is from your wiki post read it properly.

Otherwise than descent!

Must be born in the UK to automatically get UK citizenship only applies to your children's children, you might not be thinking about it now but in the future it might become an issue.

I looked into this as my Thai wife was contemplating having our British/Thai baby in Thailand and I explained it can make complications in the future with our grandchildren citizenship and also the health care is better and free in the UK.

Edited by colinthailand20005

Are you sure?

As of today there could be an issue in transmitting British citizenship if OP's child born abroad were to have children outside of Britain with the current laws (I'm saying Britain since there is no guarantee there still will be an UK int he future). Since that possibility is some 20 years away in the future, and does not involves him directly, I don't think the OP has reason to worry now.

• Like 1

Are you sure?

As of today there could be an issue in transmitting British citizenship if OP's child born abroad were to have children outside of Britain with the current laws (I'm saying Britain since there is no guarantee there still will be an UK int he future). Since that possibility is some 20 years away in the future, and does not involves him directly, I don't think the OP has reason to worry now.

Yes, I am only thinking about if I have a child. Not looking further at grandchildren. However, I remember being told, when my child reaches 18 (In Thailand or the UK) she/he must then choose what country she/he will reside in permanently.

This is not a quote or fact, just something I remember being told quite some time ago.

But going by the thread so far, it seems not to be the case.

Are you sure?

Yes, I am only thinking about if I have a child. Not looking further at grandchildren. However, I remember being told, when my child reaches 18 (In Thailand or the UK) she/he must then choose what country she/he will reside in permanently.

This is not a quote or fact, just something I remember being told quite some time ago.

Currently going through the process of getting the Wife Citizenship in the UK, she is at present on ILR, No one has said she will need to give up her Thai citizenship at that time.

I have read no reports on Thai visa of anyone ever being expected to do this, it would be an nominally to expect a child to when others are not.

Are you sure?

Currently going through the process of getting the Wife Citizenship in the UK, she is at present on ILR, No one has said she will need to give up her Thai citizenship at that time.

I have read no reports on Thai visa of anyone ever being expected to do this, it would be an nominally to expect a child to when others are not.

Thanks for the reply, but what is ILR?

My oldest son was born in Thailand at 5th field hospital off Sukumviet Road near soi 64. I was I diet cook at the hospital back in 1970. We have not gotten his dual citizen ship. But from what I understand all we need to do is bing him to Thailand with his birth certificate and do the paperwork. I need to do this so that his name will be on the house book for later when are gone. By the way, What is the law dealing with property. My wife being thai, and a dual citizen of Thailand and USA, if she dies before me, how long do I have to sell the house and land, or if due to my age they will let me keep it, live in it until I die? I could sell it so low a price, then buy a condo.

If at least one of your son's parents was a Thai national at the time of his birth, he acquired Thai nationality at birth, ie he is already a Thai citizen, regardless the fact that you have not yet obtained a Thai passport for him, regardless where and in what country he was born, regardless of the type of job you had at the time of his birth.

My son was born in Thailand before I was married. I have been told and have read that he is not entitled to a British passport. If we lived in the UK for 2 or so years he could have one. My daughter on the other hand was born in the UK and is entitled to a British passport

My son was born in Thailand before I was married. I have been told and have read that he is not entitled to a British passport. If we lived in the UK for 2 or so years he could have one. My daughter on the other hand was born in the UK and is entitled to a British passport

I'm reading that while a discrimination exists, he should have citizenship if you eventually married the mother, and/or the registration is made before he's 18.

http://britishbydescent.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/children-born-to-unmarried-british-fathers/

Nothing about having lived in the UK, but you must be British by "other than descent".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm reading that while a discrimination exists, he should have citizenship if you eventually married the mother, and/or the registration is made before he's 18.

http://britishbydescent.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/children-born-to-unmarried-british-fathers/

Nothing about having lived in the UK, but you must be British by "other than descent".

Thanks for that , I have just mailed a .Gov line asking the question again , I did marry the mother 6 months later and we lived in the Uk for only 1 year before i returned to asai to work. My daughter was born there and has indefinite right to abode in the UK. I'll have a read through of that piece , thanks again

Edited by Sena Dave

Thanks for that , I have just mailed a .Gov line asking the question again , I did marry the mother 6 months later and we lived in the Uk for only 1 year before i returned to asai to work. My daughter was born there and has indefinite right to abode in the UK. I'll have a read through of that piece , thanks again

Happy to have brought useful info, as you keep reading you will also see the good news about an impending change to the law that will eliminate the discrimination even for unmarried fathers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Happy to have brought useful info, as you keep reading you will also see the good news about an impending change to the law that will eliminate the discrimination even for unmarried fathers.

Looks promising. I'll be monitoring it with interest. I've always had the most tremendous guilt about it , he';s happy as you like in Thailand but a UK passport would open up so many opportunities for him in the future as mentioned my daughter has no problem. We've been back to London every year for a few years . I was talking to them both the other day about where would they like to live and they both said "London". I won't say anything to him yet but he will be over the moon if he gets his UK passport. Appreciate your time in posting that up mate , cheers

• Like 2

My oldest son was born in Thailand at 5th field hospital off Sukumviet Road near soi 64. I was I diet cook at the hospital back in 1970. We have not gotten his dual citizen ship. But from what I understand all we need to do is bing him to Thailand with his birth certificate and do the paperwork. I need to do this so that his name will be on the house book for later when are gone. By the way, What is the law dealing with property. My wife being thai, and a dual citizen of Thailand and USA, if she dies before me, how long do I have to sell the house and land, or if due to my age they will let me keep it, live in it until I die? I could sell it so low a price, then buy a condo.

If child does not have a Thai birth certificate you will have to apply the birth certificate in the US at the embassy or one of the official consulates.

You would have a year to sort out any property owned by you your wife within a year after her death.