Can I get my mrs and step kids visas for Europe

Depends whats your nationality and of your Mrs & Kids?

Mainly depend on your financial condition & few other very simple requirements. And yes if all the documents are in order its simple for most of the nationality to obtain schengen visa.

BTW are you planing to apply from Thailand? If so your visa category is important here.

Remember shengen visa is an option too.

How do I get that and is it easy to obtain?

try that http://www.theschengenvisa.co.uk/

my gf once got it to denmark, wasnt very difficult

check that on how to apply from thailand http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/schengen-visa.php

and http://bit.ly/1qlKwFP

just an idea

call uk consulate or french

Edited by mataleo
  • Like 1

Since you are married then you can just turn up without an appointment since you are a EEU citizen, and a new ruling is you do not have to pay for your wife.

Not sure on your kid/s but you must get insurance as part of the application for 30K Euros which premiums will be refunded if you do not get your visa.

All insurance companies have to follow their rules.

And you must apply in the country you plan to visit first, together with a booking for a hotel and an address.

I'm British. Kids Thai. Mrs has her 6 month visa for the UK. We got back a few days ago.

Money no problem and I'd apply from Thailand

You need to apply for a Schengen visa. This will permit you to travel to Spain as well as any other Schengen country which is the most of the EU. You need to have an address where you intend to stay in any Shengen country and then apply in that countries Embassy. I believe I had also to produce a marriage certificate with a certified translation of that certificate if it is not in English (i.e. Thai). The kids I am not so sure about, however I suspect you will need proof of sole custody or written permission from the father to travel abroad with them. That also will need a certified translation.

Hope this helps a little

All EEA nationals have freedom of movement rights within the EEA; and these rights are extended to their qualifying family members.

Qualifying family members obviously includes spouse, and also includes direct descendants that spouse; i.e. the EEA national's step children. Provided they are under 21.

So, non EEA family members of an EEA national who are travelling with or to join that EEA national do not have to answer most of the questions on the application form, nor supply most of the evidence; although travel insurance is always a good idea, of course.

They also do not pay a fee; the visa is free.

Unless, that is, they are travelling to the state of which the EEA national is a citizen; in which case, except in certain circumstances which do not apply to the OP, they have to apply under that state's immigration rules. As the British OP's wife did for her UK visa.

Obviously, the relationship has to be shown, e.g. marriage and birth certificates. These must be translated into an a EEA language, English is fine, and for the Schengen states the translations certified as correct by he Thai MFA.

You may find Schengen Visa FAQ helpful; in particular "I am a family member (spouse, child) of an EU/EEA citizen."

• Like 2

I'm British. Kids Thai. Mrs has her 6 month visa for the UK. We got back a few days ago.

Money no problem and I'd apply from Thailand

You need to apply for a Schengen visa. This will permit you to travel to Spain as well as any other Schengen country which is the most of the EU. You need to have an address where you intend to stay in any Shengen country and then apply in that countries Embassy. I believe I had also to produce a marriage certificate with a certified translation of that certificate if it is not in English (i.e. Thai). The kids I am not so sure about, however I suspect you will need proof of sole custody or written permission from the father to travel abroad with them. That also will need a certified translation.

Hope this helps a little

Wrong.

You do not need to have an address in the Schengen country. If you are a UK citizen travelling to an EU country other than that of your own nationality, your wife and dependent children are entitled to a visa 'free of charge' and to be issued 'on an accelerated basis.'

All you need to prove is that you are married, that the children are yours and dependent and that you are travelling together.

Depends whats your nationality and of your Mrs & Kids?

Mainly depend on your financial condition & few other very simple requirements. And yes if all the documents are in order its simple for most of the nationality to obtain schengen visa.

BTW are you planing to apply from Thailand? If so your visa category is important here.

If you are a UK citizen going to spain with lawful wife and children it does not depend on your financial condition or visa category.

You do not need to have an address in the Schengen country. If you are a UK citizen travelling to an EU country other than that of your own nationality, your wife and dependent children are entitled to a visa 'free of charge' and to be issued 'on an accelerated basis.'

All you need to prove is that you are married, that the children are yours and dependent and that you are travelling together.

Is this true, or does it just apply to EEA countries with law-abiding governments?

Is this true, or does it just apply to EEA countries with law-abiding governments?

I thought abiding by the law was part of being an EEA member... or have I missed something?

• Like 1

Look here.

Not sure how easy it is as the embassy's of some Schengen countries have tougher application rules than others. It looks like Spain has farmed it out to VFS.

I have heard that the Dutch Schengen application is more arduous than most and a thread a few years back that suggested the Italian Schengen application was easier.

I think one of the most important bits is that regardless of getting the visa, make sure that the OP's wife brings the whole Schengen visa application paperwork with her when she eventually heads for Spain. They may not ask for it but once again, the Dutch border guards have been known to demand this before granting entry.

^^^^^ but that's only to submit the application, the actual considering of the application is still carried out by Spanish Consular/Immigration Staff.

And I never said it was otherwise.

It applies to the countries which have transposed the Directive 2004/38/EC to local law as required to do by treaty. As of 2009 Spain was listed as one of the few countries whose transposition was deemed satisfactory by the Legal Affairs Committee of the European Parliament. So for Spain there should be no problem.

Countries which have not transposed the Directive are in breach of treaty. There is case law which states that individuals can rely on the Directive as law in the absence of national transposition. I would find another country to visit rather than face that headache.

For other countries, there is no complete list of those which have complied with the Directive. There are some on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_2004/38/EC_on_the_right_to_move_and_reside_freely and some on the Report of the Legal Affairs Committee: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+REPORT+A6-2009-0186+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

Other countries have since transposed the Directive but I can't find confirmation in writing. I have applied for a visa for my spouse to the French Embassy on the basis of the Directive several times. The only aberration is the fast as possible on the basi of an 'accelerated procedure' requirement, which seems to be swept by the wayside. However, it is clear in the European Commission's Visa Handbook that there must be a separate channel for beneficiaries of the Directive.

• Like 1

I thought abiding by the law was part of being an EEA member... or have I missed something?

This Directive has caused a lot of head-shaking in the EU and member states have dragged their feet implementing the Directive. Take a look at the report of 2009, three years after the Directive became effective and five years after it was promulgated, noting with disappointment how few member states had transposed the law. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+REPORT+A6-2009-0186+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

Documents you need; Non-EU family members from Your Europe gives a simple explanation of how it works.

As can be seen, the EEA national and/or their family members do not have to be resident in an EEA state and minimal documentation is required.

Sample story

Marriage certificate enough to get a visa

Thomas is Irish and lives in Belarus with his wife Delia, a Belarusian national. When they wanted to visit Thomas's mother, now living in Spain, they applied for an entry visa for Delia.

She included their marriage certificate in the application, but the Spanish authorities also asked for proof of hotel accommodation in Spain and health insurance before they would issue the visa.

However, when Delia pointed out that no such additional documents were required under EU law, the Spanish authorities apologised for their mistake and immediately issued her entry visa.

You will also see from further down that page that it is not actually legally necessary for the non EEA national family members to get a visa in advance!

Arriving at the border without an entry visa

It is always best for your non-EU family members to be well informed in advance and have all the necessary documents before starting their journey.

However, if they arrive at the border without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are your family members. If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

However, as the above implies, it is better to get a visa in advance as this will save possible delays at EEA immigration while they check documents and regulations.

More importantly, it is probable that check in staff at airports outside the EEA will not be aware of this regulation and so could refuse to carry the non EEA national(s) without them having a valid visa.

• Like 1

^^^^^ but that's only to submit the application, the actual considering of the application is still carried out by Spanish Consular/Immigration Staff.

Indeed VFS only passes the paperwork on AND better yet, VFS can be bypassed all together since VFS is entirely optional for all types of Schengen visas.

General info can be found in de Schengen FAQ:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq/

As the OP is married, he could get a free Schengen visa for any Schengen country (or a free visa for an other EU/EEA country except the one he himself is a national of) for his wife and kids via a free an accelerated procedure wih minimum hassle and paperwork. Most embassies have a page covering EU/EEA family member applications.

I have heard that the Dutch Schengen application is more arduous than most and a thread a few years back that suggested the Italian Schengen application was easier.

I think one of the most important bits is that regardless of getting the visa, make sure that the OP's wife brings the whole Schengen visa application paperwork with her when she eventually heads for Spain. They may not ask for it but once again, the Dutch border guards have been known to demand this before granting entry.

AFAIK the Dutch do execute the rules just fine and there is little hassle, they do not throw a fit if you request a direct appointment (bypassing the optional VFS entirely), were as the Spanish are known for doing so and other hassles.

At the border of any Schengen member can they ask to provide evidence that you meet the entry requirements so it's Always best to keep a copy of the paperwork with you. A German or Spanish borderguard could just aswell ask you to show you meet all the requirements. Kinda seems random to me, my wife and I Always walked through Dutch immigration (being a Dutchy myself) with no hassle. Fellow Dutchies and foreigners report anywhere between sailing through to grumphy borderguards who do throw a hassle. I think the same applies to all border entry points. Any officer may or may not unleesh the Spanish Inquisition upon you...

Also note that you may enter via any memberstate, so you could get a Dutch visa and enter via Germany. NL should be the main purpose for the trip though. On MEVs (multiple entry visas) this doesn't really apply after the first visit anymore.

Edited by Donutz

You'd think but various countries or atleast various embassies of EU/EEA countries don't seem to give a damn. The UK for example when it comes to freedom of movement for non EU family members of EU/EEA nationals. :P:(

I may be wrong and no doubt will be told so, but the UK, although a member of the Eu is not a Schengen member. I have read that with a Schengen visa, you enter the country named in your application and are then free to travel within the Shengen ' community '. You can also depart the area from any member country, not having to return to the original country where you arrived. Don't know why the UK is so bloody minded but there you go. Probably another move to stop ' foreigners ' getting into the UK where they think they will all start claiming social security.

I may be wrong and no doubt will be told so, but the UK, although a member of the Eu is not a Schengen member. ... Don't know why the UK is so bloody minded but there you go.

The justification lies in the large number of people trying to sneak through the Channel Tunnel. We need border controls. I'm not sure whether we need a separately-controlled visa policy - I haven't studied an analysis of how these would-be illegal entrants get to France.