Lao children are better educated than Thai kids

webfact

EDITORIAL
Lao children are better educated than Thai kids

The Nation

The startling findings of the latest global report on education place a tough assignment ahead for new minister Narong

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's poor standing in a recent global survey on the quality of education has caused alarm among educators here and prompted the authorities to respond.

Thailand is ranked 87th in the world in the World Economic Forum (WEF) Global Competitiveness Report 2014-2015 - behind most other member-countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, including less economically developed neighbours such as Laos, which is ranked 60th. This is both embarrassing and unacceptable.

Thailand is ranked 31st for overall competitiveness among the 144 countries surveyed. Within the Asean, the Kingdom comes third, after Singapore (No 2 in the world) and Malaysia (No 20). However, in terms of the quality of primary education, Thailand is ranked seventh among the 10 member-states of Asean, just behind Laos. Thailand's quality of higher education is ranked eighth in Asean, while Laos is again in sixth spot.

Pradit Wannarat, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida), has declared Thailand's ranking "rather awful". Pradit is also caretaker president of the Council of University Presidents of Thailand, which he says will discuss the matter at its meeting next month. Without measures to improve the quality of education here, its credibility would be adversely affected, he said, adding that more money should go into researching methods for national development.

Many of the WEF survey's results on the comparative quality of education are based on answers given by the respondents (largely business executives) to certain questions. These include "How well does the education system in your country meet the needs of a competitive economy?" and "In your country, how would you assess the quality of primary schools?"

Chaiyaphruk Serirak, secretary general of the Vocational Education Commission, has said the survey doesn't reflect the complete picture of the quality of Thai education. But there are critics who say it underlines the system's "widespread failure". They say reform from top to bottom is urgently needed to improve the quality of teaching, learning, research and other areas. Paying lip service or making plans that never actually get implemented is no longer good enough.

This WEF report is bad news, particularly for educators and Education Ministry officials, but it is encouraging to see the officials with responsibility for education showing eagerness to root out the problems in the system and seek remedial measures.

The issue will be tough homework for the new education minister, Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, who is set to retire as the Navy commander-in-chief at the end of this month. His two deputy ministers, Lt-General Surachet Chaiwong (also deputy Army chief of staff) and Krissanapong Kiratikorn (former secretary general of the Higher Education Commission and former rector of King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi), are also expected to help him complete this assignment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Lao-children-are-better-educated-than-Thai-kids-30243024.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-11

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

Just the stupid attitude which means the problem will never be cured...

Ego is the biggest problem the world over...

Just wait for AEC ' integration ' !

• Like 1

Its a pity and a shame that this is the case in Thailand, Thais are not stupid or slow learners, the ones that I have taken under my wing, have proven to be very quick learners and shown how cleaver, Thais really are.

The culture of "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" doesn't help, as with not allowing the children to debate with or question the all revered Ajarn as individuals, does not allow them to grow, explore and develop as western educated children do.

I think It will be very hard to uproot this age old culture and if they do put in a plan of change, who is going to implement it? as the Thai Teachers will have no experience or understanding of it.

Just my opinioncoffee1.gif

For the most part I agree apart from the "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" bit. This applies to pretty much all of Asia including Japan and Korea and they seem to have no problem learning, maybe its what the olders are saying and doing rather than that being a problem.

Its a pity and a shame that this is the case in Thailand, Thais are not stupid or slow learners, the ones that I have taken under my wing, have proven to be very quick learners and shown how cleaver, Thais really are.

The culture of "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" doesn't help, as with not allowing the children to debate with or question the all revered Ajarn as individuals, does not allow them to grow, explore and develop as western educated children do.

I think It will be very hard to uproot this age old culture and if they do put in a plan of change, who is going to implement it? as the Thai Teachers will have no experience or understanding of it.

Just my opinioncoffee1.gif

For the most part I agree apart from the "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" bit. This applies to pretty much all of Asia including Japan and Korea and they seem to have no problem learning, maybe its what the olders are saying and doing rather than that being a problem.

You have a good point, however I would still say that if the elders and the Ajarn's are doing, saying and teaching the wrong way, then the culture of "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" is still part of the problem and defiantly not a part of the solution.

• Like 1

Please don't believed in such polls, it's not true and fake. I born in Malaysia the education systems are bad the University place only reserved for 75-80 % Malays the rest of the races have to go overseas or private . Compare with Thailand where everybody have a opportunity to study for University with affordable price.

The survey maybe rank on English, that is undeniable but the rest Thailand are still the best.

Please don't believed in such polls, it's not true and fake. I born in Malaysia the education systems are bad the University place only reserved for 75-80 % Malays the rest of the races have to go overseas or private . Compare with Thailand where everybody have a opportunity to study for University with affordable price.

The survey maybe rank on English, that is undeniable but the rest Thailand are still the best.

Lots of Malay born Indians and Chinese go to Australia for University education for that very reason. And even known that they were born in Malaysia and hold Malaysian citizenship they are still discriminated against.

Edited by Paulzed

Lots of Malay born Indians and Chinese go to Australia for University education for that very reason. And even known that they were born in Malaysia and hold Malaysian citizenship they are still discriminated against.

...and so do lots of Malay-borm Malays....why do you think looking at things in terms of race has any bearing on the matter at all???????

Year after year after year...we hear the same old tune about the education system here. Its funny in a sad kind of way. Thais love to call anyting they consider unfashionable or stupid as being 'Laos'......How ironic this is then.....

This REALLY needs to be sorted out NOW! I am working at a government school at the moment......not for much longer because I have had it! Thai schools are, in the main a joke. Thai teachers are dinosaurs that are still using teaching techniques that come from 1937. I often walk past the Thai teachers classes and more often than not they are sitting on their backsides with NO interaction with students! They simply write a load of info on the board and the kids copy it.....after that thier job is done!!!! I would be ashamed to teach in such a way. I feel it is my job to try and engage the students, interact with them, get them questioning me. I am the odd one out it seems.

The head of English at my school is a lovely lady that has a Masters degree in English. I often have to speak Thai with her as, if I dont, she wont understand what I am on about! Unfortunately this is common here. I have only met a handful of Thai English teachers that can actually have a conversation past the level of a 5 or 6 year old. I have to 'teach the teachers' sometimes and guess who are the ones that dont show up???!!!! You guessed it....the Thai English teachers!!! Why? Because its such a MASSIVE loss of face for them to be in a room with a native speaker.....I mean, what if I ask them a question? If I do everyone will see that the reality is that they CANNOT speak English!!! They are the teachers that most need to be there when I am 'teaching the teachers' What hope do the kids have? They see me once a week, twice if they are lucky. The rest of their exposure to English is through these numpties that cannot do their jobs properly.

I am looking forward to AEC opening. Thailand is slowly but surely starting to wake up to the fact that its not the centre of the universe. Its starting to realise that its not looking too good in comparision to its other ASEAN friends. It could go either way, but I am a bit cynical. I think Thailand will do what it always does, it will sweep things under the carpet, it will withdraw from a fight on a level playing field, a fight in which it will most surely ge a very bloody nose. AEC will be just a name, the Thais will find a way to get around all the horrible new rules that will show them up. It will be AEC on paper only. In reality nothing will change. The nepotism that is the cause of so much incomptence here will stay. The sad thing for Thailand is that talented people get cast aside by others with connections, or money. I have so many lovely and smart students in my classes....but so what? The system is against them. I just cannot see this place doing what is required to enable it to really, I mean really compete with places like Singapore. I hope I am wrong.

Am I being cynical? After reading headlines for years and years about how the educations system needs to change...and nothing happening...yes I am being cynical. I think the answer to the problem is clear. If you want an education.....go to Laos!

So most Thais cant speak English beyond the level of a 5 or six year old?? So let me ask you this..How many people in the UK can speak French or German or any other language beyond the level of a six year old?? I don't speak Thai beyond the level of a six year old but its not from lack of trying!

While the Thai educational system has many shortcomings, these type of surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt!!

Many of us on this forum are married to Thais. If the education system is producing such robotic people incapable of critical thought then we need to ask the question why so many'educated' westerners marry Thais?????

The perfect educational system doesn't exist. We need to be culturally aware when analyzing the Thai system and remember that its developed from a different way of thinking. Let's not be arrogant and assume that Western systems are the best. I've just returned here from the UK. People are miserable there and struggling to survive. Compare that with the vibrancy and positive outlook of Thai's. Maybe we are the ones who have it all wrong????

• Like 2

My experience in Lao, I have noticed that they are very good at English in the capital Vientiane , whether this is so in the country area's is debatable , to say they are better educated is also debatable, I also notice Burmese Are good English speakers, this I have been told is because they have nothing else to do, so they learn English , this to them is the life line to escape from their present poverty , Thai's have also told me that Lao people speak English far better than Thailand, we have all commented over a period time about Education in Thailand, countless hours have been used to write and talk, but nobody is listening, therefore why bother General.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

As long as in the schools / universities are no constructive and critical discussions, the learning progress will always remain small.
To make an error is a great shame and often a loss of face.
So better, as a student you make nothing or you buy the solution papers for the tests.
The concept to learn from mistakes is entirely foreign to Thai.
Edison has had over 1000 failed attempts before he finally invented the light bulb.
What remains, is to learn only with misunderstood memorization.

Having taught English and PE for 20 years I was shocked when I first started teaching in Thailand. After many false starts with different establishments my wife and I decided to open our own English Language College. We felt this was the best way to make a small difference in a small town. After 3 years we have wonderful kids still coming back to us, speaking English with confidence and excelling in their studies. We can't solve the many problems of the Thailand education system but we can control the quality and work ethic in our college. To me, that's what we have to do every time we step into a classroom, make a difference!

If you placed a Thai teacher into a class in the UK they would be shocked too! Abusive language, threatening behavior, obsessions with 'levels of progress'. a lack of sanook, parents being prosecuted for bringing their own kids on family holidays during term time etc etc etc....

My point is that sometimes we shouldn't compare and assume that our way is the best. Children in Thai schools learn respect for elders and each other. They also learn practical things that will help them survive in Thai society.

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

Rumour has it that they don't even speak Thai, imagine rolleyes.gif

clap2.gifcheesy.gif In a discussion on languages with one of my former uni classes in rural Issan I was advised that the Issan dialect didn't derive from the Lao language bur rather it was the other way round. !