Lao children are better educated than Thai kids

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year after year after year...we hear the same old tune about the education system here. Its funny in a sad kind of way. Thais love to call anyting they consider unfashionable or stupid as being 'Laos'......How ironic this is then.....

This REALLY needs to be sorted out NOW! I am working at a government school at the moment......not for much longer because I have had it! Thai schools are, in the main a joke. Thai teachers are dinosaurs that are still using teaching techniques that come from 1937. I often walk past the Thai teachers classes and more often than not they are sitting on their backsides with NO interaction with students! They simply write a load of info on the board and the kids copy it.....after that thier job is done!!!! I would be ashamed to teach in such a way. I feel it is my job to try and engage the students, interact with them, get them questioning me. I am the odd one out it seems.

The head of English at my school is a lovely lady that has a Masters degree in English. I often have to speak Thai with her as, if I dont, she wont understand what I am on about! Unfortunately this is common here. I have only met a handful of Thai English teachers that can actually have a conversation past the level of a 5 or 6 year old. I have to 'teach the teachers' sometimes and guess who are the ones that dont show up???!!!! You guessed it....the Thai English teachers!!! Why? Because its such a MASSIVE loss of face for them to be in a room with a native speaker.....I mean, what if I ask them a question? If I do everyone will see that the reality is that they CANNOT speak English!!! They are the teachers that most need to be there when I am 'teaching the teachers' What hope do the kids have? They see me once a week, twice if they are lucky. The rest of their exposure to English is through these numpties that cannot do their jobs properly.

I am looking forward to AEC opening. Thailand is slowly but surely starting to wake up to the fact that its not the centre of the universe. Its starting to realise that its not looking too good in comparision to its other ASEAN friends. It could go either way, but I am a bit cynical. I think Thailand will do what it always does, it will sweep things under the carpet, it will withdraw from a fight on a level playing field, a fight in which it will most surely ge a very bloody nose. AEC will be just a name, the Thais will find a way to get around all the horrible new rules that will show them up. It will be AEC on paper only. In reality nothing will change. The nepotism that is the cause of so much incomptence here will stay. The sad thing for Thailand is that talented people get cast aside by others with connections, or money. I have so many lovely and smart students in my classes....but so what? The system is against them. I just cannot see this place doing what is required to enable it to really, I mean really compete with places like Singapore. I hope I am wrong.

Am I being cynical? After reading headlines for years and years about how the educations system needs to change...and nothing happening...yes I am being cynical. I think the answer to the problem is clear. If you want an education.....go to Laos!

So most Thais cant speak English beyond the level of a 5 or six year old?? So let me ask you this..How many people in the UK can speak French or German or any other language beyond the level of a six year old?? I don't speak Thai beyond the level of a six year old but its not from lack of trying!

While the Thai educational system has many shortcomings, these type of surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt!!

Many of us on this forum are married to Thais. If the education system is producing such robotic people incapable of critical thought then we need to ask the question why so many'educated' westerners marry Thais?????

The perfect educational system doesn't exist. We need to be culturally aware when analyzing the Thai system and remember that its developed from a different way of thinking. Let's not be arrogant and assume that Western systems are the best. I've just returned here from the UK. People are miserable there and struggling to survive. Compare that with the vibrancy and positive outlook of Thai's. Maybe we are the ones who have it all wrong????

He is talking about the Thai teachers in charge of teaching English you moron,they should be able to speak English at a higher level than a 6 year old right?do you understanding yes?

I already apologized for this oversight of mine! I don't have time to read every word of this chap's novel! I It doesn't change the fact that he and you are just arrogant imperialists bent on imposing your western values on Thailand...

Just another know-it-all arrogant smart a_se. "do you understand yes?"

• Like 2

NongKhaiKid, on 11 Sept 2014 - 07:33, said:

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

That's interesting considering a large portion of Isaan folk are culturally Lao. If what you say is true then it looks like the cultural genocide, carried out by Thailand about 100 years ago, was very successful.

• Like 1

Whereas, I wouldn't go any great distance trying to defend the Thai educational system, I dislike how the debate is focused entirely on systemic failure. What of the role of the home, meaning what of the raw material that those schools have to deal with these days?

In fact, if the debate has looked beyond the education system, it has looked to Thai culture, particularly unquestioning reverence for elders. So, are we to believe that Thai parents are encouraging their youngsters toward drug and gang involvements, to carry knives, to early pregnancy? Surely, the point is that parental control is breaking down, indeed the family, in the traditional, two-parent, sense is breaking down. In fact, kids are often looked after by grandparents.

Edited by Runamile
  • Like 1

claffey, on 11 Sept 2014 - 09:37, said:
Yooyung, on 11 Sept 2014 - 08:30, said:

Year after year after year...we hear the same old tune about the education system here. Its funny in a sad kind of way. Thais love to call anyting they consider unfashionable or stupid as being 'Laos'......How ironic this is then.....

This REALLY needs to be sorted out NOW! I am working at a government school at the moment......not for much longer because I have had it! Thai schools are, in the main a joke. Thai teachers are dinosaurs that are still using teaching techniques that come from 1937. I often walk past the Thai teachers classes and more often than not they are sitting on their backsides with NO interaction with students! They simply write a load of info on the board and the kids copy it.....after that thier job is done!!!! I would be ashamed to teach in such a way. I feel it is my job to try and engage the students, interact with them, get them questioning me. I am the odd one out it seems.

The head of English at my school is a lovely lady that has a Masters degree in English. I often have to speak Thai with her as, if I dont, she wont understand what I am on about! Unfortunately this is common here. I have only met a handful of Thai English teachers that can actually have a conversation past the level of a 5 or 6 year old. I have to 'teach the teachers' sometimes and guess who are the ones that dont show up???!!!! You guessed it....the Thai English teachers!!! Why? Because its such a MASSIVE loss of face for them to be in a room with a native speaker.....I mean, what if I ask them a question? If I do everyone will see that the reality is that they CANNOT speak English!!! They are the teachers that most need to be there when I am 'teaching the teachers' What hope do the kids have? They see me once a week, twice if they are lucky. The rest of their exposure to English is through these numpties that cannot do their jobs properly.

I am looking forward to AEC opening. Thailand is slowly but surely starting to wake up to the fact that its not the centre of the universe. Its starting to realise that its not looking too good in comparision to its other ASEAN friends. It could go either way, but I am a bit cynical. I think Thailand will do what it always does, it will sweep things under the carpet, it will withdraw from a fight on a level playing field, a fight in which it will most surely ge a very bloody nose. AEC will be just a name, the Thais will find a way to get around all the horrible new rules that will show them up. It will be AEC on paper only. In reality nothing will change. The nepotism that is the cause of so much incomptence here will stay. The sad thing for Thailand is that talented people get cast aside by others with connections, or money. I have so many lovely and smart students in my classes....but so what? The system is against them. I just cannot see this place doing what is required to enable it to really, I mean really compete with places like Singapore. I hope I am wrong.

Am I being cynical? After reading headlines for years and years about how the educations system needs to change...and nothing happening...yes I am being cynical. I think the answer to the problem is clear. If you want an education.....go to Laos!

So most Thais cant speak English beyond the level of a 5 or six year old?? So let me ask you this..How many people in the UK can speak French or German or any other language beyond the level of a six year old?? I don't speak Thai beyond the level of a six year old but its not from lack of trying!

While the Thai educational system has many shortcomings, these type of surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt!!

Many of us on this forum are married to Thais. If the education system is producing such robotic people incapable of critical thought then we need to ask the question why so many'educated' westerners marry Thais?????

The perfect educational system doesn't exist. We need to be culturally aware when analyzing the Thai system and remember that its developed from a different way of thinking. Let's not be arrogant and assume that Western systems are the best. I've just returned here from the UK. People are miserable there and struggling to survive. Compare that with the vibrancy and positive outlook of Thai's. Maybe we are the ones who have it all wrong????

Oh dear, here we go again. The simple reason, read simple for simple folk, is that people in the UK already speak English duh... and why do Thais need to learn English, because it is the international language of business/tourism, I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's poor standing in a recent global survey on the quality of education has caused alarm among educators here and prompted the authorities to respond.

Thailand is ranked 87th in the world in the World Economic Forum (WEF) Global Competitiveness Report 2014-2015 - behind most other member-countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, including less economically developed neighbours such as Laos, which is ranked 60th. This is both embarrassing and unacceptable.

This story is a really good one. It states that the Thai officials are shocked at the results, and they have to improve. Well, these results have been well known for a generation or two. Thailand has allowed the elite to continue dumbing down the system in the false hope that by keeping the polulation dumb, they will be able to grow their riches. Instead of locking up the idiots that are responsible for the deterioration of the system, they pretend to not know the system sucks. Get a life. Get real. Face reality. Admit defeat. Dismantle the system at the very fundamental level, and rebuild it from scratch, using foreign advisors all the way. If you are in Thai education, at the administrative level, and are serious, stop the jawboning immediately, and start doing something real to make a change. Otherwise, just keep your lazy, slothful, and unhelpful mouth shut.

• Like 1

I've said for a while now that the implementation of the AEC is going to be a very loud, and embarrassing "wake up call" for the Thai. A survey a year or so ago stated that Thai university grads were seriously reluctant to apply for positions in other countries due to their lack of English skills! So what do you think is going to happen when AEC members who do have better English skills start flowing into the Thai business community? Yep, more Thai unemployment! And serious loss of face. How are they going to explain they lost out on a good job to someone from an "inferior" race that reads, writes and speaks better English than they, the "superior race" do? Their attitude of "superiority" is going to suffer a major blow.

I know of a hospital that has both Japanese and English translators who work for them and help them translate from doctor to patient, and patient to doctor. Their Japanese-Thai translator is a native Japanese. Their English-Thai translator is a Filipino. My wife is friends with one of the board members of that hospital, and when she asked why they didn't use Thai nationals as Translators for both languages, the man finally admitted that after 6 months of searching and interviews, they couldn't find any Thai with the language qualifications needed. How many more hospitals and businesses face the same problem?

How many English speaking Filipino and Vietnamese are going to be filling the positions under the AEC umbrella that Thai feel they are "entitled" to? Will the list of jobs "Reserved for Thai only" list be expanded? Good possibility. But that like cutting off your nose to spite your face on a national level.

I welcome the AEC, as it is going to be a major slap in the face of the "superior race" when they realize that they are fast approaching the bottom of the ladder, and being surpassed by all those "inferior races" they have looked down their noses at for so long. MAYBE then they will finally make the necessary and desperately needed changes in the education system they've been pontificating about doing for so long.

• Like 1

As an ex-english teacher of a univerity in Phuket..I can say that you really hit the nail on the head!....it's all about saving face rather than just coming to terms with their short comings and face them head on to improve.....so so sad...but you are right.....they won't change.....Like you, I tried to get me students more involved....to challenge and question me and things in general..a few made attempts but many were so brainwashed not to do it that they would just sit and daydream all day waiting for dismissal

• Like 1

I've said for a while now that the implementation of the AEC is going to be a very loud, and embarrassing "wake up call" for the Thai. A survey a year or so ago stated that Thai university grads were seriously reluctant to apply for positions in other countries due to their lack of English skills! So what do you think is going to happen when AEC members who do have better English skills start flowing into the Thai business community? Yep, more Thai unemployment! And serious loss of face. How are they going to explain they lost out on a good job to someone from an "inferior" race that reads, writes and speaks better English than they, the "superior race" do? Their attitude of "superiority" is going to suffer a major blow.

I know of a hospital that has both Japanese and English translators who work for them and help them translate from doctor to patient, and patient to doctor. Their Japanese-Thai translator is a native Japanese. Their English-Thai translator is a Filipino. My wife is friends with one of the board members of that hospital, and when she asked why they didn't use Thai nationals as Translators for both languages, the man finally admitted that after 6 months of searching and interviews, they couldn't find any Thai with the language qualifications needed. How many more hospitals and businesses face the same problem?

How many English speaking Filipino and Vietnamese are going to be filling the positions under the AEC umbrella that Thai feel they are "entitled" to? Will the list of jobs "Reserved for Thai only" list be expanded? Good possibility. But that like cutting off your nose to spite your face on a national level.

I welcome the AEC, as it is going to be a major slap in the face of the "superior race" when they realize that they are fast approaching the bottom of the ladder, and being surpassed by all those "inferior races" they have looked down their noses at for so long. MAYBE then they will finally make the necessary and desperately needed changes in the education system they've been pontificating about doing for so long.

Thailand will introduce a "Thai Culture Course", similar to the one required to get a teacher licence, which will stop many 'foreigners, aliens' from 'stealing' the jobs away from Thai nationals.

Basically a rubbish interpretation of a good report. Nowhere in the report does it back up that headline.

Good to see a post from someone with the ability to read and comprehend properly. The report does not conclude what the headline states, and is based on a limited survey of "business executives", not on any educational results .

Ironically, almost every post here, apart from Wilcopops, shows a lack of ability to understand something as simple as the OP report then proceeds to critcise the quality of the Thai education system.

• Like 1

There are, as always, a large number of factors not taken into account in these 'tables'

1. If you finish M3 in Thailand there are numerous vocational/occupational course options

2. Of course if you want to be a doctor you need preferably to have an international qualification

3. There is a huge 'self sufficient' Thai economy. I do not mean necessarily growing rice. There are plenty of people here who on smallish plots of land grow, tobacco, sugar, sweet corn on a nearly industrial scale.

4.There is a large pool of family businesses and SMEs and here considerable numbers of Import/Export entrepreneurs

Most of this requires literacy, technical competence and some math skills, but not much else that comes from a school .

Unemployment? Thailand 1% Spain and UK for graduates 25%

On the subject of Laos!!

1. The French, in spite of the horrors they brought, did make schools

2. Communists have a healthy respect for education

3. Have a go at this. Not a graet wiki fan..but this is not bad!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Laos_to_1945..Like the assertion that there are more Lao speakers in BKK than Vientiane..but then there are more Teochew speakers than Thai in the Central Provinces

As an ex-english teacher of a univerity in Phuket..I can say that you really hit the nail on the head!....it's all about saving face rather than just coming to terms with their short comings and face them head on to improve.....so so sad...but you are right.....they won't change.....Like you, I tried to get me students more involved....to challenge and question me and things in general..a few made attempts but many were so brainwashed not to do it that they would just sit and daydream all day waiting for dismissal

From my time as an English lecturer at a lower northern University I have to generally disagree with you, it's about approach, encouragement and content. Sure many students don't respond but let's face it they shouldn't be at university anyway, but those interested in advancing themselves are more than happy to become involved in their own learning. You as the lecturer need to put in a bit more effort than what is normally put in by Thai lecturers, you must be the catalyst to their learning, break down the barrier, make it exciting and interesting and show there is no loss of face in making mistakes in learning English - it's just part of the process.

In the main, I got excellent results, many didn't become masters of the English language but they certainly lost their inhibitions in speaking English and gained a lot of confidence which is a major step in learning a language.

It was not uncommon to be asked "why haven't we always been taught English like this"

So to say they won't change is incorrect, the majority are more than happy and capable of changing given the right conditions and encouragement.

• Like 1

Oh dear, here we go again. The simple reason, read simple for simple folk, is that people in the UK already speak English duh... and why do Thais need to learn English, because it is the international language of business/tourism, I hope this helps you.

A huge amount of Thai business is with China and Japan. Therefore it may be beneficial to some Thai people, who would like to be successful, to become fluent in Chinese or Japanese...duh...

Thai people who speak Japanese or Chinese have a much higher earning potential than if they speak only Thai and some English.

If people in the UK or US could learn another language they might well be less arrogant and more culturally aware.

Instead of nitpicking why don't you engage with me upon my main point: We shouldn't judge Thai people using our set of western values. Thai people have their own values and we should respect and accept that...

That's why so many Westerners complain constantly and never understand Thai people. They judge them by our own values and compare everything to back home. For example, an American guy told me this week that Thailand is really catching up with the West. I replied: I hope the west can catch up with Thailand in terms of whats really important in life, such as family and taking care of each other...I believed his head then fell off with the thoughts of an Asian country being better at something than the West!!

yeah nice try but you do know why they go on about learning english......its the international language followed by mandarin...as for people being miserable and struggling to survive in the uk..whats whats that got to do with learning english...laters...

Agree with everything you say except the last sentence. If you had lived with Lao school children growing up around you for the past 8 years, you would never suggest that as a solution – and especially about learning English!

Edited by laobali

A huge amount of Thai business is with China and Japan. Therefore it may be beneficial to some Thai people, who would like to be successful, to become fluent in Chinese or Japanese...duh...

Thai people who speak Japanese or Chinese have a much higher earning potential than if they speak only Thai and some English.

If people in the UK or US could learn another language they might well be less arrogant and more culturally aware.

Instead of nitpicking why don't you engage with me upon my main point: We shouldn't judge Thai people using our set of western values. Thai people have their own values and we should respect and accept that...

That's why so many Westerners complain constantly and never understand Thai people. They judge them by our own values and compare everything to back home. For example, an American guy told me this week that Thailand is really catching up with the West. I replied: I hope the west can catch up with Thailand in terms of whats really important in life, such as family and taking care of each other...I believed his head then fell off with the thoughts of an Asian country being better at something than the West!!

Oh my lordy lord.

Do you have kids yourself? Are they in a Thai school? Do you worry whether they will be able to find a job at all, let alone one that may pay them 15,000 baht a month?

• Like 1

True...

It is obviously linked to having too many 7/11 stores and MacDonald's Restaurants.

Anyways...Thai kids eat more and can ride scooters when they are 8. Parents take care of them pretty well. I wish I would have had a scooter when I was 8. Those inter racial forced school bus rides were pretty traumatic during the sixties. Had to wear a helmet to avoid all the rocks.

Edited by slipperylobster

He is talking about the Thai teachers in charge of teaching English you moron,they should be able to speak English at a higher level than a 6 year old right?do you understanding yes?

I already apologized for this oversight of mine! I don't have time to read every word of this chap's novel! I It doesn't change the fact that he and you are just arrogant imperialists bent on imposing your western values on Thailand...

ah another bitter irishman..get over it you had a great potato harvest last year alls well in the emerald isle now move on..you can take off your ...i love gerry adams t-shirt now..

• Like 2

claffey, on 11 Sept 2014 - 14:40, said:
MediaWatcher, on 11 Sept 2014 - 13:01, said:
claffey, on 11 Sept 2014 - 09:37, said:claffey, on 11 Sept 2014 - 09:37, said:
Yooyung, on 11 Sept 2014 - 08:30, said:Yooyung, on 11 Sept 2014 - 08:30, said:

Thai people need to enter the real world, that is, the world outside Thailand, and to do that English is the main business language, it would even help them learn more by using the internet where most knowledge is in English. Yes, some, in niche markets would be advised to learn Chinese and maybe Japanese, but even these countries acknowledge English as the international tongue. I fail to understand why you believe the UK or US are arrogant, simply based on their tongue. I would suspect you may be the arrogant one, but if you can back up your comment I will acknowledge it. As for "Westerners" not understanding Thais, well my friend, Thais don't fully understand Thais, as the language is very limited.

• Like 1

Its not about 'cultural imperialism'. Language is just a tool, its something that helps to get a job done. At the moment that tool happens to be English! Ever met a Swede? They speak English very well, however if you go to Sweden you will notice that they havent fallen for any kind of 'Americanisation' of their country.....they didnt have to!! As I stated before English is the official language of ASEAN. This means that business will be conducted between South East Asian countries using English as the medium. It doesnt mean that the people of South East Asia have to chew tobacco, eat hamburgers and wear a cowboy hat as well! I feel VERY lucky that I was born a native speaker of English. I am using my luck to do a job that I, most of the time really enjoy. I make a point NOT to impart values when I teach, thats not my job. If, however the students (we're talking mostly adults now) ask me for my opinion then sure, I will give it and we can have a discussion.

Yes, but GDP per person in Laos is considerably lower than Thailand.

And even if GDP per person in Laos is growing quicker than Thailand, it will take them decades to catch up with Thailand. And it's not going to happen.

Just as absurd as being scared that GDP per person in places like Bulgaria, Romania and Poland, that they will catch up with Britain !

smile.png

No idea what that has got to do with education blink.png

Laotians have been better English speakers than Thais for a very long time, and now it seems are overtaking in general education.

Nothing new here.

Edited by lovelaos

NongKhaiKid, on 11 Sept 2014 - 07:33, said:

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

That's interesting considering a large portion of Isaan folk are culturally Lao. If what you say is true then it looks like the cultural genocide, carried out by Thailand about 100 years ago, was very successful.

I think NongKhaiKid was being sarcastic pal.

• Like 1

There is no need to get aggressive and abusive. Just accept the fact that because you dont read this chaps "novel" correctly that you come out with half cocked comments causing you to lose face.