Australians face death in China over drugs

webfact

Australians face death in China over drugs

MELBOURNE: -- AUSTRALIANS charged with drug offences in China could face the death penalty.

A GOVERNMENT source said a "number" of Australians had been arrested for drug offences in China since late last year.

They had been charged, but had not yet been through the full judicial process.

Asked whether they faced the death penalty, the senior source said: "It's conceivable, but depends on the process of the judicial system."
"They are serious cases and we are not taking them lightly."

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Thursday altered its travel advice to China to specifically warn of the dangers of drug possession and trafficking in China and the potential for the death penalty to be imposed for the most serious offences.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/australians-face-death-in-china-over-drugs/story-fni0xqi4-1227055078201

-- Herald Sun 2014-09-11

What drugs were they? There are such a huge variety of drugs, some relatively harmless and others not. Not mentioning the names of the drugs just reveals the ignorant mainstream propaganda-fuelled belief that all illegal drugs are bad and all legal drugs are OK, which is far from the reality. In China, even Khat is an illegal substance.

Drug laws, particularly in light of recent scientific studies, make much less sense than when we were first taught that "drugs are bad". Back then ethanol wasn't even considered a drug, and it seems most people wordwide still hold that untruthful belief and drink away in denial whilst demonizing other drug users and drug industry workers.

• Like 1

I know I don't want to be hanged, so I don't traffic drugs into Singapore. I don't want to be marched out into a field and shot, so I don't traffic drugs into china. How about we don't take drugs into countries that have death penalty for doing so.... how about we just don't traffic drugs.

I take it you are talking about drugs of addiction. Like alcohol and tobacco.

• Like 1

Deserve it

Nonsense. The death penalty is always wrong.

If you are well advised in advance that to engage in drug peddling in China is punishable by the death penalty, and you then go ahead and do it anyway, what other outcome can you expect...?! That's tantamount to saying to the Chinese authorities "Oh yeah, well let's see you try it..."!

Deserve it

Why do they deserve it?

1. What was the drug?

2. Were they smuggling?

3. Were they selling?

4. What quantity?

If it was a drug purchased in China for personal use I think death is a bit harsh and I believe, so would you, if it was you or someone you love.

Deserve it

Too bloody right, if they are so 'hooked'and stupid, then Australia does not need them back. I have no sympathy at all, as far as i am concerned, let them pay whatever price that China wants. If they need that extra help to enjoy life on earth, send them off to another planet. Good riddance.

I know I don't want to be hanged, so I don't traffic drugs into Singapore. I don't want to be marched out into a field and shot, so I don't traffic drugs into china. How about we don't take drugs into countries that have death penalty for doing so.... how about we just don't traffic drugs.

There are always the weak willed amongst us who cannot live without the use of mind bending drugs .

Deserve it

Why do they deserve it?

1. What was the drug?

2. Were they smuggling?

3. Were they selling?

4. What quantity?

If it was a drug purchased in China for personal use I think death is a bit harsh and I believe, so would you, if it was you or someone you love.

Soft drugs lead to hard drugs when the first high gets less and less. Only way is to "nip it in the bud"

I take it you are talking about drugs of addiction. Like alcohol and tobacco.

Most likely "illegal drugs" by statute of the concerned country.

Alcohol and tobacco are controlled and legal in China. Each country has its own laws and I'm not in a position to criticize them.

There are countries where alcohol is banned. It's up to them.

Obeyance of any law is voluntary. The penalty for violating them is a personal responsibility.

There are always the weak willed amongst us who cannot live without the use of mind bending drugs .

I didn't say don't use them if you are allowed.....I said don't traffic them into countries that don't allow it.
  • Like 1

One shot to the back of the head versus 15 shots to the middle of the back via a Heckler-Koch machine gun here in the LOS (well, up to a few years ago -- now lethal injection). You figure that fools dealing drugs would take that into consideration. Maybe not!

so China wants to apply the death penalty to these guys while China registered freighters drop tons drugs off on Australian shores and most major drug crimes in Australia are committed by Chinese, and for those of you who think they should get the death penalty you need to have a long hard think about the legitimacy of any police work in China, in most cases it's worse than the LOS!

• Like 1

Deserve it

Why do they deserve it?

1. What was the drug?

2. Were they smuggling?

3. Were they selling?

4. What quantity?

Deserve it

Why do they deserve it?

1. What was the drug?

2. Were they smuggling?

3. Were they selling?

4. What quantity?

The law is not a secret. you & I have choises none of which are the legality of what they have done or appropriate punishment for alledged crime. The number of people this earth can support is limited.These people have generously allowed other people a little more space, in a brazen manner, I will add. I thank them for leaving a few more resources for those of us that want to live at least a little longer. And perhaps see them next lifetime...

'... The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Thursday altered its travel advice ... to specifically warn of the dangers of drug possession and trafficking ...' Are any travellers seriously in need of such advice. If they choose to carry drugs, worse, traffick in them, they must accept the consequences.

I don't like the laws in Saudi Arabia - so I intend to never live there.

Even if I were to just visit Saudi, I would (a) abstain from alcohol, ( b ) not shoplift, ( c ) not allow my female family members to drive etc

Similarly, the staunchest republican visitors to Thailand who commit lese majeste should not be surprised by the punishment.

Edited by tx22cb

Deserve it

Too bloody right, if they are so 'hooked'and stupid, then Australia does not need them back. I have no sympathy at all, as far as i am concerned, let them pay whatever price that China wants. If they need that extra help to enjoy life on earth, send them off to another planet. Good riddance.

You crazy old coot. You obviously have no understanding of addiction. Keep yelling at clouds.

• Like 1