Extension ED visa denied at Immigration

My friend got 6 months extension from MOE after she finished her 1 yr ED VISA.It was given last June. Yesterday when she went at Immigration for reporting 90days the immigration officer denied it.It said that the new rule is to leave the country to get a new ED visa.Why like that?.This was given by MOE.The officer told my friend to leave the country.

Is that ok if she leave Thailand via boarder and get a Tourist visa while waiting for her new papers for new ED visa?

Did she need a cancellation letter from school?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The MOE does not give extensions. They only approve a course of study and issue a letter required by immigration to get an extension of stay. She also did not have a one year ED visa unless she had a multiple entry that would require border runs every 90 days.

New rules for extensions of stay went into effect on August 29th for language schools.

From clause 2.9 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(2) In case of non-formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom."

Extensions of ED-visas for informal educaiton like language schools are since 29 August only given for 90 days at a time and with a maximum of 1 year since date of entry into Thailand. After one year she must leave the country and get a new ED-visa.

What I don't understand is why her 6 month extension is not honoured. This must be a mistake by the offcer and I would return and ask to see a higher official. perhaps with the help of the school.

What I don't understand is why her 6 month extension is not honoured. This must be a mistake by the offcer and I would return and ask to see a higher official. perhaps with the help of the school.

I don't think she had a 6 month extension from immigration. All she got was 6 month approval from the MOE.

The OP made the typical error of calling the 90 day extension application a report (also called check in by some).

Staff from school went to Immigration but it still denied :(.

ubonjoe,yeah after her 1 yr she went to MOE and got 6 months..(before the new rule was implemented).

Yesterday,she need for appearance right,but it was denied.Her stamp is until on 13th.

Is she can go to Laos,to apply first a Tourist visa while waiting for her new documents?

Thanks

No need for cancellation letter from school?

There is nothing to cancel that I can think of. The extension from immigration will end when she leaves the country. Her visa expired long ago.

She could also go out for a visa exempt entry. She could extend her entry by 30 days at immigration now.

• Like 1

Can't contact her now.This morning when she exit the Nongkai boarder the officer is looking for cancellation letter,,then later on they allowed her to exit.Hope is everything ok now.I pray she can get a Tourist visa at embassy of Thailand in Vientianne.

Thanks a lot for your great help Ubonjoe and Mario.Both are you are reliable source here in Thai Visa forum.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gifthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Staff from school went to Immigration but it still denied sad.png.

ubonjoe,yeah after her 1 yr she went to MOE and got 6 months..(before the new rule was implemented).

Yesterday,she need for appearance right,but it was denied.Her stamp is until on 13th.

Is she can go to Laos,to apply first a Tourist visa while waiting for her new documents?

Thanks

Actually the Ministry only approves the papers and can not approve permission like immigration dept can. Ask her to take all the documents and apply from Laos. A friend of mine did the same from Lao 2 weeks ago, and the visa was issued just after one day of submitting.

related question: My actual visa is from a non-formal school, but I'm currently on an extension from a formal government university. Is it going to be a problem getting another extension?

That the visa was based on a non-formal school does not matter. What matters is that your extensions are based on study at a university. For you nothing has changed. You get a 1 year extensions of stay from immigration.

related question: My actual visa is from a non-formal school, but I'm currently on an extension from a formal government university. Is it going to be a problem getting another extension?

Since your extension is for attending a university you do not have a problem.

The expired visa you used to enter and give you the permit to stay you have extended makes no difference.

I don't think she had a 6 month extension from immigration. All she got was 6 month approval from the MOE.

The OP made the typical error of calling the 90 day extension application a report (also called check in by some).

3 months, 3 months, 6 months. That is what it has been in the past.

It makes sense the OP's friend had to leave, as if she got 6 months, that was the end of her visa. She was probably trying to get 1 more extension and was told to leave.

Exact same thing happened to someone I know recently. They simply signed up for school again, got the proper papers, headed to Laos, got a new ED, and walked right back in. Will get their first extension in 3 months and do the cycle all over again.

What's wrong on asking this question @cup-O-Coffee?

My friend already seek question and advice from her school.And far as I know,Thai visa exist for people who seek an opinion and advice from other.Don't you know the word SECOND OPINION?

• Like 2