Prayuth: Incompetent ministers could face dismissal

webfact

Prayuth: Incompetent ministers could face dismissal

BANGKOK, 11 September 2014 (NNT) - General Prayuth Chan-ocha has stated that government ministers who were unable to perform well in their duties could be dismissed from their posts.

Deputy Prime Minister Yongyut Yuttawong, one of the five deputies of the PM, quoted that each deputy minister has been assigned to be responsible to overlook into different areas such as education, economics, and foreign affairs.

He further stated that the first priority on the agenda is to bridge the social inequality gap and foster reconciliation throughout the nation. As the current Cabinet is working on a limited time frame of only a year before a general election takes place, Mr. Yongyuth said that it was essential that the ministers perform their duties well.

Mr. Yongyut has also quoted General Prayuth that the ministers must be able to perform their duties up to their best ability or else they could be dismissed from their posts.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-11 footer_n.gif

Mr. Yongyut has also quoted General Prayuth that the ministers must be able to perform their duties up to their best ability or else they could be dismissed from their posts. ......

and the stolen and misappropriated funds are withdrawn (seized) , plus interest, plus money penalty and plus prison
for thieves of public funds (corruption).

An end to impunity for criminals!

No sir, incompetent Ministers SHOULD face dismisal, not "could" face dismisal.

A step further if I may FH,

Incompetent ministers WILL face dismissal. Just do it.

Not could, should, ought to, may, possibly might..

A step further if I may RC,
Incompetent ministers WILL SHALL face dismissal. Just do it.
Not could, should, ought to, may, will, possibly might..
"Historically, shall referred to obligation while will referred to personal volition. Few speakers still make the distinction, but in legal terms it is usually upheld. 'He will do it' thus means that he wants to do it, whereas 'he shall do it' means that he is obliged to do it." LINK
  • Like 2

--------------------------------------------

Brave talk, but would the governments of the U.K.. U.S.A., or Australia really be able to stay in power long if "Competence" was the main determination of their remaining in office?

How much less than, would a government be likely to survive very long in Thailand?

Oh, now I understand, that's why Thailand has so many Coups.

Isn't it wonderful that once there is a competent leader here in Thailand that he can now demand and expect competent ministers. Under the old regime it would have been hypocritical to demand competence when the top leader herself proved to be completely incompetent. I understand that things are not going to change overnight in Thailand but at least I can see some movement in the right direction. Just my two cents baht.

Fine. So how is this "competent" leader going to determine whether a minister is "able to perform their duties up to their best ability". For example, the Education Minister, Admiral Narong Pipathanasai, what special qualities does he bring to the Education Ministry, what is his "best capability", apart from being head of the Thai Navy and Coup Deputy Leader?

Just platitudes.

we have a year or longer of platitudes and posturing to wait through.

And the same amount of time hearing your whining and bleating too.

• Like 1

Isn't it wonderful that once there is a competent leader here in Thailand that he can now demand and expect competent ministers. Under the old regime it would have been hypocritical to demand competence when the top leader herself proved to be completely incompetent. I understand that things are not going to change overnight in Thailand but at least I can see some movement in the right direction. Just my two cents baht.

Fine. So how is this "competent" leader going to determine whether a minister is "able to perform their duties up to their best ability". For example, the Education Minister, Admiral Narong Pipathanasai, what special qualities does he bring to the Education Ministry, what is his "best capability", apart from being head of the Thai Navy and Coup Deputy Leader?

Just platitudes.

we have a year or longer of platitudes and posturing to wait through.

And the same amount of time hearing your whining and bleating too.

as well as your cheerleading.

fair is fair. :)

• Like 2

Too many damn quotes again.

For tbthailand at #19

Absolutely, though if you actually saw me, a cheerleader would be the furthest thing on your mind.

Try imagining a fat, bald 70 year old guy in a short skirt and weilding pom poms and you would get a clearer if not a frightening picture.

Paste the picture on the fridge and tell the kids if they don't behave, HE will come and get you in the night.

• Like 1

They should extend that to ANY Government Official, especially Police/Military and stop moving them to "inactive posts" . . . just sack them if they can't do their jobs or are corrupt.

Sack them? That's far too lenient. The generals have other ways of enforcing discipline, namely the "Attitude Adjustment" program:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA39/011/2014/en/3f49e974-914e-4df6-a0d9-b072a6e18f51/asa390112014en.pdf

A major obstacle facing this country is their inability to implement and maintain continuous improvement. This is a nation that has for years lived under the belief that you only have to say the right thing, doing the right thing is beyond them.

• Like 2

No worries, he only said that they had to perform to the "best of their ability" which all incompetent people are capable of. Its all fine as long as the do the best worst job possible. If they actually got rid of the incompetent, they would have few to none left. giggle.gif

• Like 2

Quote : 'He further stated that the first priority on the agenda is to bridge the social inequality gap and foster reconciliation throughout the nation. As the current Cabinet is working on a limited time frame of only a year before a general election takes place,(...)'

1/ The words 'general election' take on a new meaning...

2/ A time-frame of one year to bridge the social inequality gap ? Even God can't do that (and boy, did He try) ...

• Like 1

They should extend that to ANY Government Official, especially Police/Military and stop moving them to "inactive posts" . . . just sack them if they can't do their jobs or are corrupt.

No that is wrong....if someone is incompetent (but trying to do work good) you can't fire him for good reason. You can only move him to a position he is qualified.

If someone is corrupt, he should not be sacked he should be locked in prison.

WILL be dismissed.

Bravo! FH. You just snatched it off my tong. Not sure the people who wrote this know the difference between 'could', 'should' and 'must'.

But leaving semantics out of the problem, WHO is to judge the competency level? Ideally, in every field of society activity The Minister is supposed to be the ultimate authority in any given field.

Thailand is closer to reality than to ideal. Hence Thainess, Thai culture, Thai ways, Thai traditions, and every other aspect of what the very respected General is facing.

I really feel sympathy to his predicament. And wish him luck.

And ban them from government jobs for life. Otherwise they just surface some place else.

• Like 2

"Inactive posts" are a method to remove, segregate and monitor subjects while an investigation takes place to ferret out and punish wrongdoers. One doesn't leave them at their old job while disciplinary or criminal action is being taken.

Sacking is fine. Getting to the root cause and uncovering their colleagues/conspirators is desirable as well.