Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

Well I just missed the "buy one, get one" promotion by one day of my favourite Lavazza coffee beans. This was the first and only one sale I noticed within the last five years.

What about a new topic covering big discounted and imported food and drink items? What is your opinion?

Rules:

a) imported food and drink only; available in shops in and around Chiang Mai (otherwise my wife would like to open a separate topic about handbag and shoes and lipstick etc.!)

b.) big discount, e.g. bigger or equal 20% discount (of course it does not guarantee that you can find the very same article for a better price in another shop!?)

c) no promotions of restaurants and hotels

d) all comments and replys will be deleted after seven days in order to keep the topic upto date.

Current example (examples only):

- imported Kiwis from New Zealand in Makro: buy two, get one.

- imported Lindt Chocolate from Switzerland in Chiang Mai Bakery Market: 2kg bag dark chocolate 70% extra fine with 40%discount

- imported Nutella from Australia in RimPing: 750g glas for B275 instead of B345

For the moment I believe this is a good idea but may be I am biased as I missed the above mentioned promotion!

And I also know that many forum members consider me now as a cheap charlie.

Or will the forum moderator look at this idea as an advertising campaign?

What is your opinion?

Have a good day

Rob

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiangmaijoe,will be on shortly telling you that you are a cheap Charlie

for trying to save a few Bht.,myself i try and make as many savings as

possible,not because i have to ,its just common sense.

Heres a saving ,but not a discount, salmon tail end cuts 1Kg 165 Bht,

they are big pieces of salmon,33 bht per piece,steamed with some

potatoes,veg,and sauce of choice,a good cheap meal ,when you want

a change from rice. They had lots in the Makro superhighway branch

but they sell fast ,then you have to wait a few weeks before they are

in stock again.

regards Worgeordie

in stock again.

regards Worgeordie

Maybe I should give you my password and you can just log on as me and give my opinions. You could then log on as you and say the exact opposite.

Robert, I very often buy 2 for the price of 1 promotions at Rimping. I was buying the Mangosteen juice but that now seems to have finished. I very often buy 2 for 1 cereals there but at the moment none seem to be on promotion. Your idea is good, but like most people I won't be travelling to the other side of town to buy eggs at 20 satang cheaper than they are around the corner. Because you are talking about proper, significant discounts I doubt if anyone will be calling you a cheap charlie, unless it's Worgeordie logged on as me!

Anyone have a proper definition of a Cheap Charlie? In my mind it isn't someone who simply appreciates a bargain, but rather someone who is obsessive about the price of everything, who denies themselves of life's simple pleasures for the sake of a baht or two, who is irritated by people paying more than what they consider to be the right price and considers them to be mugs, is prepared to make themselves and their friends lose face over trivial amounts, is never generous to those less fortunate and thinks everyone is out to rip them off. For some strange reason the very concept of different places charging different prices is something they can't ever accept or understand.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Sorry Worgeordie, but what are 'Tail end cuts'--are they just the tails, which I doubt anyone would want, or are they hard to sell cuts? Are they fillet pieces--again, I don't suppose so, at 33 Baht a hit.

P.S. RobertMueller--where is Chiang Mai Bakery Market, please?

Edited by haybilly

Sorry Worgeordie, but what are 'Tail end cuts'--are they just the tails, which I doubt anyone would want, or are they hard to sell cuts? Are they fillet pieces--again, I don't suppose so, at 33 Baht a hit.

No they are big cuts from the tail end,no tail on,all meat

the next cut up is 450 bht Kg,so good value i think.

regards Worgeordie

Robert , the salmon tails in Makro are just that, salmon tails. Pensioners and poor people boil them up and make a stew out of them and freeze the leftovers for another day, and plenty of people buy them as a treat for the cat. They also sell packs of five or six good sized salmon steaks for about 500 baht, which is a fair bit cheaper than most stores and may well fall into your category of imported food bargains.

in stock again.

regards Worgeordie

Maybe I should give you my password and you can just log on as me and give my opinions. You could then log on as you and say the exact opposite.

Robert, I very often buy 2 for the price of 1 promotions at Rimping. I was buying the Mangosteen juice but that now seems to have finished. I very often buy 2 for 1 cereals there but at the moment none seem to be on promotion. Your idea is good, but like most people I won't be travelling to the other side of town to buy eggs at 20 satang cheaper than they are around the corner. Because you are talking about proper, significant discounts I doubt if anyone will be calling you a cheap charlie, unless it's Worgeordie logged on as me!

Anyone have a proper definition of a Cheap Charlie? In my mind it isn't someone who simply appreciates a bargain, but rather someone who is obsessive about the price of everything, who denies themselves of life's simple pleasures for the sake of a baht or two, who is irritated by people paying more than what they consider to be the right price and considers them to be mugs, is prepared to make themselves and their friends lose face over trivial amounts, is never generous to those less fortunate and thinks everyone is out to rip them off. For some strange reason the very concept of different places charging different prices is something they can't ever accept or understand.

So does the Salmon interest you Joe? Ok whats your password?but i wont have same opinions as

yourself.any ideas about the price of eggs today.

I just knew a post with Cheap Charlie in it would attract you like a magnet.

take it easy Joe,i think we already knew your opinions of cheap Charlies,posted your views many times

on related subjects.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

No they are big cuts from the tail end,no tail on,all meat

the next cut up is 450 bht Kg,so good value i think.

regards Worgeordie

Sounds too good to be true. At a guess, how much a kilo are these cuts, and maybe you could hazard a guess as to why are they so cheap?

While you're here, maybe you could help me with a source and price of scrag end. I sometimes have a hankering for some of the basic poor mans food that was a treat for me when I was a lad. No fish for us on a Friday, but rather a big pan of scouse, which if it contained meat was a luxury, otherwise it was vegetarian or what we called 'blind scouse'. We were poor, but we were happy.

Robert , the salmon tails in Makro are just that, salmon tails. Pensioners and poor people boil them up and make a stew out of them and freeze the leftovers for another day, and plenty of people buy them as a treat for the cat. They also sell packs of five or six good sized salmon steaks for about 500 baht, which is a fair bit cheaper than most stores and may well fall into your category of imported food bargains.

No the Salmon tail cuts are NOT tails,Joe, obviously has not seen them

they are big pieces of salmon from the tail end,all meat ,no waste.

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

The cheap cuts have sometimes been in my periphery vision, but I don't pay too much attention to them because the prime cuts are such a bargain, more or less 100 baht a steak from the largest section of the fish.

regards Worgeordie

The cheap cuts have sometimes been in my periphery vision, but I don't pay too much attention to them because the prime cuts are such a bargain, more or less 100 baht a steak from the largest section of the fish.

Ah, thought that might have been you there the other day, old chap.
I'll extend an nod in your direction next time.

post-42228-0-38485100-1410422177_thumb.j

Edited by Awk

attachicon.gifIMG_1912.JPG Here you go not a tail in sight. regards Worgeordie

What ho!

If someone drinks Archa beer because they prefer it, that's fine. If they eat at Gecko bar because the food is great and they love the ambience, 'good for you', I say. If you can well afford the prime cuts of salmon but prefer the taste of the tail, go ahead, eat the tail. But if the reason for any of the above is 'because it's cheap', then you're a Charlie.

I know guys that agree that Archa is horrible, but drink it because ......... All together now.............. It's cheap. Guys who earn a lot more than me!

A right pair of Charlie's, if you ask me.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

What ho!

What's the source of this salmon?

The Pacific i think,and processed in China ,I would suspect,where most of the fish

today is processed.supplied by a company in Samut Prakan.

regards worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

The pertininent question is what kind of salmon are they. Chinook (King) and Atlantic Salmon are usually rated at the top. . At the bottom are pink and chum salmon. I've seen those tails at Makro and they look like pink salmon to me. But I've never looked closely at the labeling.

Back on topic! I've just been to Rimping (did I hear, boos and hisses from the back?) and got buy 1 get 1 on Nice &Natural muesli bars, and buy 1 Praise Ranch dressing and get 1 free Paul Newman's Classic dressing (never tried either, but worth a go) . Nawarat branch. Not sure how much the eggs were.

high quality, skinless, Atlantic Salmon fillets can be had for approx. 450 per Kg in the US. Well this is Thailand....yes, I am aware of that, but the salmon market is global, so just a guideline. I've seen whole Pink for 70 THB per KG.....The Chinese have had a most negative impact on the fin-fish industry.

I would like to see some cheese prices.....a few of us bought the local cheese from the Art Cafe and were not satisfied, at all. Makro does a 2 KG package for 770 +/- THB.

What ho!

If someone drinks Archa beer because they prefer it, that's fine. If they eat at Gecko bar because the food is great and they love the ambience, 'good for you', I say. If you can well afford the prime cuts of salmon but prefer the taste of the tail, go ahead, eat the tail. But if the reason for any of the above is 'because it's cheap', then you're a Charlie.

I know guys that agree that Archa is horrible, but drink it because ......... All together now.............. It's cheap. Guys who earn a lot more than me!

A right pair of Charlie's, if you ask me.

Joe, you must know the middle ,tail cut tastes the same, and makes the same s#it,i know you are well up the

ladder,and would never frequent the Gecko bar,or drink Archa beer,but please don't rub it in peoples faces,

remember the time you did not have two pennies to rub together,anyway the OP thread has turned into nothing

but the price and quality of Salmon,so enough, let the thread continue.

regards worgeordie

I would like to understand the marketting strategy at makro.

I wonder if they do this to catch out the unsuspecting Thai who isnt carrying a calculator.........but no.....they do the calculatuon for you.

Ok last night a random two items.

post-150623-14104311909197_thumb.jpgpost-150623-14104312150231_thumb.jpg

Mens deodorant its actually cheaper to buy the 25ml version even at twice the quantity to make them comparable.

Next buying multipacks is actually more expensive. Take this one at 40bt a can but if you want the plastic sealing four together you have to pay 44.25bt a can

post-150623-14104314791608_thumb.jpgpost-150623-14104315379554_thumb.jpg

If thats intentional for shops and restaurants buying in bulk then makro are taking them all for a jolly ride.

Anyway its a heads up for yoy makro shoppers....buy individually.

Back on topic! I've just been to Rimping (did I hear, boos and hisses from the back?) and got buy 1 get 1 on Nice &Natural muesli bars, and buy 1 Praise Ranch dressing and get 1 free Paul Newman's Classic dressing (never tried either, but worth a go) . Nawarat branch. Not sure how much the eggs were.

Newman's is excellent. I think you might discover the Ranch dressing to be an MSG-fest. I would jump at BOGO on Newman. 16 oz runs about 1.50 USD in the States, so that likely means 109 thb at Rim-sting, but I would do 2 for 109, and would even go out of my way to get there (on my way to a 40 THB large Leo promo, of course!).

If people want to drink Archa Beer, no beer, Buffalo Piss or tins of ghastly cold coffee, then eat Salmon Tails, Live Gecko's, Pork Fat and Skin and Bone de jour and finish off with some of that disgusting jelly and ice water that the local's call 'dessert'.....then it's none of my business. I eat what i want to eat be it expensive or cheap and it's nobody else's business.

Can never understand why people are so judgmental over other peoples eating or drinking habits....get a life..and get on with it. Live and let live.

I wonder if they do this to catch out the unsuspecting Thai who isnt carrying a calculator.........but no.....they do the calculatuon for you.

attachicon.gif1410431108876.jpgattachicon.gif1410431133727.jpg

Mens deodorant its actually cheaper to buy the 25ml version even at twice the quantity to make them comparable.

Have you factored in how much you will never get out of the smaller bottle, due to surface tension?

Have you factored in how much you will never get out of the smaller bottle, due to surface tension?

I am a cheap charlie also.

so if you thinks that's a likelihood i will break out the balls and run my fingers around the rim.w00t.gif so there!

What's the source of this salmon?

The Pacific i think,and processed in China ,I would suspect,where most of the fish

today is processed.supplied by a company in Samut Prakan.

regards worgeordie

Is that Pacific salmon, snatched from the claws of grizzly bears in Alaska, caught in the radioactive waters off Japan, or farmed salmon off Chile, stuffed full of antibiotics? Not "shooting the messenger" WG, just skeptical about this salmon they sell here in Thailand.

At least the colour looks natural thumbsup.gif

Might be salmon trout?

I am a cheap charlie also.

so if you thinks that's a likelihood i will break out the balls and run my fingers around the rim.w00t.gif so there!

I thought deoderant was for under the arms whistling.gif

My wife loves her smelly fish and sometimes sneaks a pack into the shopping trolley... however, it's the smelly prawns which I enjoy. A local lady wised us up to Makro's sale price past-use-by-date small prawns which may be stir fried whole in salt and chili until crispy and are absolutely superb.