Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

Yes generally there is some other nasty crap added to make it sweeter. Most if not all sugar free jams that I've tried are horrible. It's a bit like the butter vs margarine debate. I prefer butter and sugar but in moderation.

This one (many different flavours) tastes fine IMO. Not sure if it's available here however. Think I've seen glasses that look like it when walking through the isles at Rimping, but have not paid enough attention to say for sure if it's this or not.

Let me confirm that at least Tops is selling it.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone who buys Chabaa juice , don't get it in Lotus as they sell it for around 60 Bt

Rimping and Kasem store its about 42 Bt

Ordered a few different Chabba juices from Tesco Lotus yesterday at 42 baht, but there were a few that stayed the regular price (and I didn't order).

lipton instant iced tea...6 packets...marked down to 9 thb from 30 thb....tesco express/Suthep. I bought all 7.

Oh so why tell us this special after you bought all stock? Like to gloat do we?

I think you miss the whole idea of having this blog.

Clue....its to inform others of specials they may enjoy.

Edited by CMKiwi

lipton instant iced tea...6 packets...marked down to 9 thb from 30 thb....tesco express/Suthep. I bought all 7.

Oh so why tell us this special after you bought all stock? Like to gloat do we?

I think you miss the whole idea of having this blog.

Clue....its to inform others of specials they may enjoy.

Absolutely!

I recall when people were fretting over the lack of Pepsi Max and posting that they took everything!

The sort of thing one should keep to themselves, as you say no point.

Might be a heads up to look at other Tescos........and they are out of PepMax, but have a good supply of CokeZero for 23 thb per bottle. They also had small bags of Tamarind for 5.75 thb, marked down from 23 THB....but the sellby was that night. Jampha beats Tesco on a lot of things.....

• 1 month later...

Pataks curry pastes ,THB 59, good till end of year and some 2016,

not too many left,Korma,Rogan Josh,Tikka Masala,also chutneys,

have been looking for some curry pastes for a while,the Tops,

RimPing,have not had any only Lime Pickles,so very pleased I

found them.These are pastes, good for 3 months after opening

keep in fridge, each jar can make 5/6 curries.

regards Worgeordie PS Central Festival food hall

Edited by worgeordie

Went to Tesco on the superhighway today and spotted seedless grapes @ 80 baht/kilo, which is very cheap. I paid 150/kilo last time I got them from Tesco rather than on the market where they go between 130 and 180 baht/kilo. Red and green, I bought up big (about 5 kilos) washed them and put them in the freezer; They freeze really well and eating them frozen is very refreshing on a hot day. Better than an ice lolly.

in july 14 there was a report of tins of ambrosia creamed rice at rimping meechock and i got six tins along with some custard

a month ago i only had two left so i went on the hunt in tops rimping etc and it was mai mee everywhere sad.png

a week ago i was in rimping nim city and there it was again smile.png

i bought ten and there was still some left !

dave2

post-42592-0-03340300-1426593036_thumb.j

in july 14 there was a report of tins of ambrosia creamed rice at rimping meechock and i got six tins along with some custard

a month ago i only had two left so i went on the hunt in tops rimping etc and it was mai mee everywhere sad.png

dave2

Recommended retail price about 50 baht........real bargain wink.png

dave2

Gutsy Garters! tongue.png

On Sunday evening at Central Festival, outside the supermarket. Air purifier sale. "Buy one, get one for free".

Agh, the silver lining in a cloud of smog.clap2.gif

Don't be conned, those little units do SFA.

Not sure what you mean here, captain. Do you mean those particular brands or models, or consumer range air purifiers in general?

When I was there, they did have a couple large models shown also, comparable in size to the Blueair 650E I own. And that Blueair unit works very well, I can assure anyone who wants to know. With regards to the units for sale, suggest anyone interested do their own due diligence via google, as I do not know.

re

Recommended retail price about 50 baht........real bargain

Gutsy Garters!

with three pensions coming in a month its no problem smile.png

half a tin of the rice with a pot of small peach chunks in syrup

served hot .... is superb !

dave2

post-42592-0-87005000-1426640672_thumb.j

re

Recommended retail price about 50 baht........real bargain

Gutsy Garters!

with three pensions coming in a month its no problem smile.png

half a tin of the rice with a pot of small peach chunks in syrup

served hot .... is superb !

dave2

No one was questioning if you can afford it or not, but as this is a thread about the location of 'bargains' I don't quite see where your post fits in, although I do acknowledge that it's a bargain to you. smile.png

On Sunday evening at Central Festival, outside the supermarket. Air purifier sale. "Buy one, get one for free".

Not sure what you mean here, captain. Do you mean those particular brands or models, or consumer range air purifiers in general?

When I was there, they did have a couple large models shown also, comparable in size to the Blueair 650E I own. And that Blueair unit works very well, I can assure anyone who wants to know. With regards to the units for sale, suggest anyone interested do their own due diligence via google, as I do not know.

I was referring to the small units one sees everywhere, priced from ~ 7k bt upwards. They do not have adequate air volume or filtration. I doubt your Blueair unit would not be available from 7k on a buy one get one free deal.

BTW: Where did you source it and how much?

I was referring to the small units one sees everywhere, priced from ~ 7k bt upwards. They do not have adequate air volume or filtration. I doubt your Blueair unit would not be available from 7k on a buy one get one free deal.

BTW: Where did you source it and how much?

Well, you might be right about that. It however obviously depends on the size of the room and how well insulated it is. E.g., in the smaller bedroom running the Blueair at speed two produces results similar to running an identical model at speed three, the max, in the other bedroom which is larger by a factor of perhaps 2.5. I'm not sure how big the difference in air pushed out is at the two settings, but judging by the noise, I would guess it is twice or thrice as much. So a smaller unit running at max speed might be enough for the smaller (3x3x3.5m?) bedroom.

I ordered the Blueairs from EAeasy (http://www.eaeasy.com/) in Nonthaburi a month or two before last years smog-season started. Ordered via email, had prompt and efficient replies in English, and delivered in Chiang Mai a few days later. Paid 35,000B each for two 650E models.

I would buy the slightly cheaper 603 model if available however. The 650E has a remote control (never used) and an "automatic" mode that is supposed to adjust the speed according to smell and dust in the room. The latter sounds very useful, but the only thing that has ever triggered the sensor is Mrs. Awk's cooking, so I quickly gave up on using that mode. Dylos Corp. also indicate on their website that most sensors in air purifiers are a somewhat of a nonsense, but unfortunately, I could not find the cheaper 603 model available in Thailand.

Edited by Awk

@AWK

We saw the 203 model at Robinsons at ~20k which appears suitable for our living area. Maybe quieter than the 603? Not worried about bedrooms as a/c has ioniser and reasonable dust filter.

None of the small units appear capable of good filtration in a large room, may be ok in a very small bedroom used as an air mover although a

pedestal fan is far cheaper.

@AWK

We saw the 203 model at Robinsons at ~20k which appears suitable for our living area. Maybe quieter than the 603? Not worried about bedrooms as a/c has ioniser and reasonable dust filter.

None of the small units appear capable of good filtration in a large room, may be ok in a very small bedroom used as an air mover although a

pedestal fan is far cheaper.

I have not tried the 203 (or any other air purifier than the 650E), but yes, I'd assume it would be quieter at the same power setting. It however may well be that you while you need to run the 203 at max power, you could have run the 650 at medium power. Medium power on the 650E is comfortably quiet, while max power is annoyingly noisy.

According to the Blueair website, 203 max decibel is 56, while 650 max db is 66. 10 DB more should mean the 650E is about 10 times as loud at max power I think. So yeah, I guess the 203 would be quite a bit quieter at the max setting.

Of course, if you later on find out that even at max power, the CADR (clean air delivery rate) of the 203 is not enough to bring the pollution inside down to an acceptable level, you are SOL unless you can find another use for the 203, and then you'd still need to buy another air purifier.

In our large bedroom, which is around 80m^3 I guess, when pollution is at it's worst outside and we run 650E at max power, the pm2.5 count inside is 1/10 to 1/20 of the level outside. That pm2.5 count inside is at that time often double or even four times as much as I would have wanted however; 40,000+ outside, 3,000+, even reaching 4,000+ for periods, inside. The house we rent has poor isolation however, so things are hopefully different for you.

Most air purifiers should have a CADR rating printed on the box I'd think, so one should be able to make a meaningful comparison before buying, and you can see the Blueair 650E is rated with a CADR of 765m^3/hour on the Blueair website.