500 baht breakage charge in Restaurant.....

richard_smith237

Is being charged for minor breakage in a restaurant acceptable ?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are so precious about there stuff why don't they stand next to you holding it and when you want it they can bring it and then go back to where they were standing before awaiting your next call. They leave everything on the table at their own risk , not yours

If they are so precious about there stuff why don't they stand next to you holding it and when you want it they can bring it and then go back to where they were standing before awaiting your next call. They leave everything on the table at their own risk , not yours

Nonsense. If you break something, you need to pay for it.

You should not bring kids to a nice resturant if they can't behave. Why should they take a loss for iresponsible parenting?

• Like 2

Depends on the establishment. As OP says, most higher end nicer places should allow for breakage on simple low cost items, accidents happen.

Here's a funny story. I went into family mart, grabbed a beer from the cooler, and the beer behind the beer I grabbed slid right out of the holder onto the floor through no fault of my own, as they had the angle of the shelf too steep. They wanted me to pay for their ineptness, but I refused as it was their fault. They seemed stunned that I didn't want to pay for their cock up.

Insured because someone can't control their kid. Lol

I think we are getting crossed wires here , I've not read the whole thread just the OP, but for normal breakages (Excluding errant kids)they should be insured ,

Edited by Sena Dave

I would not go to a place that charges that much and lets Kids in.Yes i have 2 so forget the standard replys.

Agree. It amazes me how selfesh some people are. Not everyone thinks your kid is cute and even worse when you let them break shit and try to get out of taking responsability.

• Like 1

In my honest opinion these breakages should not be paid for, it is a normal occurrence and at the end of the day it was accidental. I would feel embarrassed asking for such a payment, but it goes to show the mentality of these places. If i owned such a place, and wanted repeat customers, then i would make a fuss over 'how the accident' is not an issue to make the customer feels less embarrassed as to what has just occurred.coffee1.gif

Agree sometimes when things like that happen you feel all your are welcome for is your Money. I went to Patong for the first time in about 10 years and it just felt like a massive rip off , probably always was but I never noticed it

My take is that a business such as a restaurant should not charge for minor breakage. This should be a cost of doing business. I would not return to such an establishment. It is very low class to charge a customer for a minor breakage, shows the mentality of the business owner. I wonder how cheap the food ingredients are?

Agree sometimes when things like that happen you feel all your are welcome for is your Money.

A restaurant is a business. What else would they be interested in you for?

Well if you were going there for years you might hope they would see you as a human being and foot the cost of the broken bowl or whatever it was

As usual, these Thais should be grateful to the mighty, wealthy farang and treat him with the respect he deserves, eh?

Nothing to do wealth is it , if that happened down you local pub you wouldn't be happy. Ive got nothing against Thais Sunshine , I have 2 Thai kids

Edited by Sena Dave

If I broke a glass at the pub I would want to pay for it. Shit happens and I would ashamed to ask them to take a loss for my mistake.

Yep. Same here.

Yeah , I can image that "I say how much do I owe you for the glass Bar tender ?" Your either winding me up or you've never been out in your life

• Like 1

If I broke a glass at the pub I would want to pay for it. Shit happens and I would ashamed to ask them to take a loss for my mistake.

Yep. Same here.

Yeah , I can image that "I say how much do I owe you for the glass Bar tender ?" Your either winding me up or you've never been out in your life

Some people take responsibility for their actions.

• Like 1

Yep. Same here.

Yeah I can imagine That "How much for the glass bar tender" Your either winding me up or you've never been out anywhere in your life

I guess for some people, nothing is ever their fault.

They way I look at it is , They are welcoming us into their place to spend money for a profit. When I am in there place looking to give them my money , the fact I may break something accidentally is their risk. It is their responsibility to mitigate that risk

Edited by Sena Dave
  • Like 1

Awhile back I was at a well known German beer Restaurant in Bangkok with a few friends enjoying the entertainment, drinking and eating. The bill came to about 7,000 baht. After paying the bill and leaving a few hundred baht tip I was presented with an additional bill for 60 baht for a glass that was chipped. I asked them if they were serious ... I just spent more than one hundred times that and left a tip that would cover that glass more than 5 times. I asked to talk to the manager and she insisted that I pay. Never again will I return. They tell me after I have already paid and heading out the door. Kind of like I was doing something wrong.... I sent a message to the restaurant on their web site and never even got a reply. Management should all be fired !!!!

Vote with your feet.