O-visa Year 2

Hi,

I am on a 1 year O-visa (marriage and kids) and haven't deposited any money.

Instead i've shown income from abroad. (verified by the embassy)

During this year I've setup business and now have my WP.

Next year I won't have any income overseas because that income

wil be sent to my local business instead, and my salary will be paid

out of those monies.

In regards to my visa, how will this affect me?

If I extend my 1-year marriage visa, can I show local income as means of support?

Or will I have to deposit the 400k?

Best,

NoBuzz

Hi,

I am on a 1 year O-visa (marriage and kids) and haven't deposited any money.

Instead i've shown income from abroad. (verified by the embassy)

During this year I've setup business and now have my WP.

Next year I won't have any income overseas because that income

wil be sent to my local business instead, and my salary will be paid

out of those monies.

In regards to my visa, how will this affect me?

If I extend my 1-year marriage visa, can I show local income as means of support?

Or will I have to deposit the 400k?

Best,

NoBuzz

You'll have to deposit the 400k in a normal savings account. It's a working balance and immigration will expect to see you using it. As long as it's topped back up every year for the time of renewal there's no problem. They will (likely) want proof that the money came from a foreign account.

You'll have to deposit the 400k in a normal savings account. It's a working balance and immigration will expect to see you using it. As long as it's topped back up every year for the time of renewal there's no problem. They will (likely) want proof that the money came from a foreign account.

I disagree.

Provided you are paying yourself through your Thai company minimum 40K/month (and declaring it for income tax) you can obtain an annual extension to your visa.

You can renew your one year extension easily.

You only show local income [not less than 40,000 baht per month ]as means of support.

It better to open thai bank account in your name to show the immigration officer but No need to show 400,000 baht in your bank account. And the valid date of your work permit will relate to your marriage visa.

for more information , you can contact ; www.lawyer.th.com , the sponsor of this website.

we_zaa

Thanx for your answers!

Today however, everything changed, as i was going to get my workpermit.

I didn't get it and the reason was that my original O-visa (that i have extended for 6 months)

has "Employment Prohibited" stamped in it.

Labour department staff told me that I must get a new visa to get the work permit.

Obviously, getting a work permit off of a marriage visa seems to be a bad

option, since it naturally prohibits employment.

So now I have to go and get a B-visa somewhere. :o

Where is the best place to go? And what do I need to show?

I will be self employed in my own company.

I'm located in Surin.

Best,

NoBuzz, extremely disappointed.

Sounds to me you are being giving wrong info as there should be no problem getting a work permit based on an O-visa. Could it be that you did not get it for OTHER reasons? (salary level/visa expired/company status or whatever).

The stamp is simply there to ensure nobody thinks one can start working based on the visa ONLY. I.e. as we know; a work permit is needed in order to work here. Only a retirement visa (and tourist visa for you detailers out there :o ) can not be used to obtain a work permit(for natural reasons).

I would give Sunbelt or whomever you prefer a call in case you can not handle it yourself - no need to obtain another visa.

Cheers!

Hi again.

Staff from the labour department have been visiting the company office and have

given an all clear on the company, salary etc etc. They wanted to give the permit

to me when they did the office checkup last week but couldn't because i was out of

town. They acctually had it with them and presented it to my wife.

So they told me to come and pick it up when i got back.

That's what i thought i was doing today. :o

Anyway, the big hen at the labourdepartment that gave me the news today said

that "Employment Prohibited" was the only problem, and if I present a visa

without that entry they'll give it to me on the spot.

Good news is that I just called the immigrations office and they told me to

come in tomorrow and they'll remove the enrty from the visa.

So... we'll see what happeneds tomorrow.

Maybe it will all be resolved ok.

Best,

NoBuzz

The stamp is simply there to ensure nobody thinks one can start working based on the visa ONLY. I.e. as we know; a work permit is needed in order to work here.

Actually, no. The stamp is there because London embassy and Hull consulate (maybe others) wrongly believe O visa CANNOT be used to obtain work permit. This has been established in another recent thread - and London recently restated this.

Well... got some bad news today... immigration can't do anything about the stamp once it's there.

I'll have to go and get a new visa. It seriously sucks.

Hopefully someone finds this useful to know.

Thanks for your ansers anyway.

Best,

NoBuzz

Well... got some bad news today... immigration can't do anything about the stamp once it's there.

I'll have to go and get a new visa. It seriously sucks.

Hopefully someone finds this useful to know.

Thanks for your ansers anyway.

Best,

NoBuzz

Over to you Lopburi3. What advice would you give to those issued an O visa other than for retirement over-stamped "employment prohibited"?

My advice Nobuzz would be to speak to a lawyer to get it sorted.

Edited by diddlysquat

Hi nobuzz,

I think I will be in a similiar situation to yourself [ see my thread 'employment prohibited'].

Did you receive your visa from London or Hull?

Have you been advised which visa to get?

I assume the embassies/consulates in the region are not stamping 'employment prohibited' on the non o [marriage based] visa.

I don't think the missus will be to happy when I return from the UK tomorrow to tell her I'm off to Laos on a visa run!

Hi nobuzz,

I think I will be in a similiar situation to yourself [ see my thread 'employment prohibited'].

Did you receive your visa from London or Hull?

Have you been advised which visa to get?

I assume the embassies/consulates in the region are not stamping 'employment prohibited' on the non o [marriage based] visa.

I don't think the missus will be to happy when I return from the UK tomorrow to tell her I'm off to Laos on a visa run!

As your current visa does not expire untill October I think you will encounter problems in Vientiane.

To avoid a wasted journey, speak to a lawyer. Try Sunbelt, a sponsor of this site. My guess is they can sort it out for you in Bangkok.

As your current visa does not expire untill October I think you will encounter problems in Vientiane.

To avoid a wasted journey, speak to a lawyer. Try Sunbelt, a sponsor of this site. My guess is they can sort it out for you in Bangkok.

Thanks diddlysquat - the lawyer I'm using is one of sunbelts based in Chiang Mai I'll speak to him first.

Hi,

The one and only difference between you and me is that you got your visa in Hull, where some stupid clerk figured he/she was supposed to put some stupid stamp on a simple, non extra stamp-requiring visa stamp ...

I got a non-o multiple entry visa in Penang (about 1 1/2 year ago) - evidences were a marriage licence, ID and TB of my wife ... No stamps besides the stamped visa itself ... No problem of any kind in getting/having a WP, valid as long as whatever was the date on my "admitted until ..." stamp --- (currently october 17).