Can it be done, please?

I have searched and can't find anything exactly like this, so thank you for your patience.

I would like to bring a Thai lady friend to the US for a month or so just to show her the sights and to give her a first trip out of Thailand.

We are not engaged and have no plans to marry or to have a serious relationship. We are just good friends.

She is 37 years old, never married, no kids.

She has a master's degree and is a school teacher in Isaan. She has been there ever since uni.

She owns her own home and car.

She lives and teaches very close to her parents' home and helps them physically and financially. She also has a brother and sister nearby.

Her income is 30K bht pm. She is some kind of leader in the school. She is also the school English teacher - one of those who struggles to speak English but can get by.

I should have no problem qualifying for anything needed - property, money, income, whatever if anything is needed.

I would pay 100% of expenses. After house and car payments and helping parents etc. she couldn't afford it.

I would prefer not to go to Thailand to get her. I'd prefer to meet her when she lands in the US, if possible.

-----

What am I up against? Is this possible? How hard would it be to get her a visa?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I tried to do the same thing with my now wife over 10 years ago. The biggest concern that US immigration has, seems to be Foreigners entering the US and then disappearing in the US. As such, she has a number of things going for her in her quest for a tourist visa, (1) a job (2) owns property (3) family who rely on and need her.....all things that would indicate that she would return to Thailand.

She may run into a problem though when she shows her passport if it is brand new or she has never used it (ie nothing to show she traveled leaving the country and returning). That was a problem I had many years ago with my now wife, so she and I went on short trips to Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Malayasia etc.

End result for her was that although they denied her a tourist visa on her first application she got one 6 months later on reapplication after traveling.

Hope this helps.....Good Luck!

• Like 1

NeverSure

I'd think that if she mentions your name in the application as a "sponsor" or that she's going to visit you in the U.S., the result would be negative. Reason? The interviewing ConOff would most likely be thinking she's headed to join you, get married, and stay. That's a no-no on a tourist visa.

If she applies on her own with no mention of you, perhaps a chance, but she might trip up at the interview stage.

So, I'd not be real hopeful of success.

Mac

• Like 1

OK, thanks. Would she be asked for any proof of financial ability? She doesn't have it. Like so many Thais, she went in for the government employee new house scheme and the new car scheme and of course has a smartphone etc. With helping her parents, she struggles. And no, I've never sent her money.

But I would have to fund this from one end to the other which I'm happy to do if allowed.

No go???

I've never attempted this, however, all you both really have to lose is the cost of the Visa Application and her travel costs to Bangkok for an interview. If she is sincere, who knows? Maybe send copies of your passport and pages of your visits to Thailand so they know this is not strictly a mail-order arrangement.

• Like 1

OK, thanks. Would she be asked for any proof of financial ability? She doesn't have it. Like so many Thais, she went in for the government employee new house scheme and the new car scheme and of course has a smartphone etc. With helping her parents, she struggles. And no, I've never sent her money.

But I would have to fund this from one end to the other which I'm happy to do if allowed.

No go???

I agree with Mac about mentioning you. I also agree that she could/will trip up during the interview. So, what to do? Honesty is the best policy, from start to finish. If you are open through the entire process, she can’t get tripped up. It will also make the interview process easier and more relaxing for her.

You fill out the application; list her as a friend and that you will sponsor the trip.

Have her bring to the interview documentation for reasons to return to Thailand: House/land papers. A letter from her employer. Car, etc.

She should dress business casual for the interview. Some small talk and a big smile go a long way. The only coaching I would do is to tell her not to get frustrated regardless of the questions, or attitude of the officer.

The worst they can do is say no. The answer is no, if you don’t apply.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Shot.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If it doesn't work out could you introduce her to me. She ticks lot of boxes.

Seriously though....the member that suggested mentioning you could be a negative.....I have no personal experience, but have heard a few guys from states say this. (I'm AU) ...As I understand it one thing immigration is looking for is compelling reason to return. Seems she has that more than a lot of applicants.

just good friends eh ? wow your one hell of a guy ,this trip for her will cost you more than 150,000 thb but maybe you have that kind of money to splash out.

wish i had a friend like you giggle.gif

One can see the US nicely in 30 days by driving 10,000 miles (16,000 kms.) Figure 300+ miles per day which is not more than 5 hours. Some days you're going to punch out 500 miles in 8 hours because the view is same-same. Other days you'll stop to see something important such as the Grand Canyon.

It would cost me $200 per day for gas, food and lodging, or $6,000 on the ground plus her airfare of what, $2,000? So $8,000 is 264,000 baht?

But I would be having a good time and getting a nice vacation too. I would really like to do it.