PM promises investigation into the cost of Cabinet audio system

Lite Beer

PM promises investigation into the cost of Cabinet audio system
Nathapat Promkaew,
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha has said there will be a probe into the purchase of an alleged overpriced audio system for the Cabinet's meeting room.

Prayuth yesterday urged the public not to make a premature judgement on the matter and to be patient while waiting for the results of the investigation.

His remarks came as a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, Vicha Mahakun, sarcastically labelled the audio system as being in the "heavenly realm" because of the price.

The NACC will investigate the matter too, said Vicha, adding that a working time frame had not yet been established as it depended on the validity of the allegation.

Prayuth's remarks followed days of public outcry over the purchase of 89 microphones that come with LCD (liquid crystal display) screens. They were installed in Government House's Cabinet meeting room after being quoted at Bt145,000 each.

He urged the public to think positively as he stated his case at length.

"Let us look at it in a good way. If you say there was an intention [to cheat], then I don't think that's the case," he said.

"Do you really know what it's really all about? I don't. But I will probe it. We will probe all such cases, don't worry.

"Be patient. Don't pressure us. Don't judge things by yourself. Let the [investigation] committee make the judgement. Let the agency scrutinise it and the prime minister will have to take care of it.

"We have said we don't want to see corruption, and the people must have trust in our work. That's all. We're careful with every step we take but I must say that many people were involved [in the procurement of the sound system], so we must examine where it went right or wrong."

Vicha criticised the purchase during a public lecture on fighting corruption and its link to laws and the economy.

He said everyone knew the market price and he called for transparency.

"It's microphones for use in the heavenly realm because of the price that we learned about," he said.

On a more general note, Vicha blamed the powerful and wealthy for maintaining a culture of corruption in society.

He said Thailand would continue to be trapped in that culture for as long as laws were not applied equally to everyone.

He cited rich motorists who got off traffic fines by flashing the name card of an influential person while ordinary motorists had to pay a fine.

Vicha urged both the state and private sectors to be transparent so people would not doubt them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-promises-investigation-into-the-cost-of-Cabinet-30243201.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-13

Gee the NACC critizing the Junta. Yet many on here aimlessly go on that the NACC and the civilian courts are Junta lap dogs.

Again as always and in the past good work from the NACC. One of few organisations that held their values and never bowed to the politicial scumbags.

Edited by Roadman

"It's microphones for use in the heavenly realm because of the price that we learned about," he said.

that's exactly it, mikes to communicate with ghosts, and here is the proof from another article:

Sinsakorn Aroon, a 60-year-old official, told reporters yesterday that he saw a ghostly phenomenon inside Nari Samosorn Building at around 6 pm on Wednesday.

Mr. Sinsakorn, who is in charge of the audio system in the Government House's press conference room

It seems to be an ON ,OFF investigation,don't know how people think

they can get away with overcharging,don't they realize the price of most

things can be checked on the Internet,by anyone.

regards Worgeordie

Because those "in power" still consider everyone else to be uneducated morons who need to be told what to do and that should not question anything.

• Like 1

Stitch up job. Whatever happened to competitive tendering???

Exactly. Minimum three tenders. Open book system. Tenders can be put forward by anyone and anyone (inc public) can view said tenders.

Lowest tenders not necessarily always chosen - but there had to be justifiable reasons why not - eg no track record of delivery.

But the tender chosen must stand up to scrutiny and show a best cost provider.

It's a key element in removing corruption. And not just corruption but also incompetence and complacency.

• Like 1

Anyone involved in television or music production will know a 145k microphone is far from unheard of. A pretty standard

high end product. While the cost on line in the US is about 63k baht. The US has by far the most competitive prices

and like computers and other electronics I would expect to pay 30% more in other countries. When Thai import duties are added

the price is even higher. I am impressed they were able to negotiate a 35% discount from BOSCH Thailand. So for me the cost for

what they got was very reasonable.Now weather they need that level/quality of equipment is another issue. I am sure a

Radio Shack level may work well enough. Although I know Thia is a very tonal language and maybe they do need a higher quality

microphone to prevent any misunderstandings.

$4,830 each for microphones. Were they purchased direct from P. T. Barnum?

Sorry Charlie, but this price can buy the creme de la creme if Classic Studio Microphones.

Or hand built specialty mics of the highest order. Only a few esoteric collectors mics cost more.

For a Public Address speech only usage, anything more than 3,000-4,500 baht / $100/$150

is ridiculous extravagance. There is no difference in clarity intelligibility or control,

that would be improved on for more cost, including LCD interactivity.

Vocal range is effectively 800hz-4,000hz from bass to sybilences.

Typical $3 mic in a bin on Ban Mor street side is 80hz/15,000hz. With slight presence bump at 2,500hz.

And more problematic for intelligibility would be the echoey design of most rooms in Thailand.

Whom ever took advantage of the gullibility and lack of knowledge of the person

signing off on this bid, should do jail time just for the sheer arrogance alone.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

I will add that the prices above apply to hard wired microphones, not radio mics.

But they were not buying 86 radio microphones. The battery bill per session would be ridiculous.

Decent quality, diversity, noise cancelling, hand-held, radio mics run 12-20,000 baht.

Most of that cost being the decent transmitter receiver pairings.

Yet, you can buy 2 radio mics and receivers for 3,000 baht in Ban Mor.

I will add that the prices above apply to hard wired microphones, not radio mics.

But they were not buying 86 radio microphones. The battery bill per session would be ridiculous.

Decent quality, diversity, noise cancelling, hand-held, radio mics run 12-20,000 baht.

Most of that cost being the decent transmitter receiver pairings.

Yet, you can buy 2 radio mics and receivers for 3,000 baht in Ban Mor.

i'll wait for the investigation result.

In the mean time may I remind you that we're here talking about a multi-media conference system for a countries Cabinet Room. They might not feel the need to go to same levels of facilities and security as some other countries, but neither would it be correct to suggest they should buy some stuff in Panthip Plaza and get it to work. IMHO.

Have you never heard of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Uncle Rubs?

Was the old system so bad, that they couldn't hear each other from 5M's away? why do they need to have mini screen/computers on them? Surely when they're in mettings they can patch whoever they're talking to to the Television, that cost 500,000 baht too..

It sounds more like extravagance and self indulgence more than practicality, they were caught out by a sharp eyed member of the public, and now they're backpeddling big time.

Have you never heard of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Uncle Rubs?

Was the old system so bad, that they couldn't hear each other from 5M's away? why do they need to have mini screen/computers on them? Surely when they're in mettings they can patch whoever they're talking to to the Television, that cost 500,000 baht too..

It sounds more like extravagance and self indulgence more than practicality, they were caught out by a sharp eyed member of the public, and now they're backpeddling big time.

It seems that PM Prayuth isn't as keen on democracy as his predecessor. He doesn't seem to like the idea of members of the public just skyping-in into his cabinet meetings to offer free and unwanted advise.

Rumours that more specifically he had certain Dutch uncles in mind are unfounded rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

What it said was the price per microphone, this price was outrageous. Period.

Conferencing systems need not be studio quality state of the art to do the job. There are several pro level dealers in Ban mor with exactly the right systems.

I never mentioned Pantip Plaza.

Conferencing systems need not be studio quality state of the art to do the job. There are several pro level dealers in Ban mor with exactly the right systems.

My expectation on 'multi media conference systems' may be as much off as some of the die-hards here who talk about 'expensive mics just to be able to talk down on the NCPO.

BTW I don't know the location "Ban Mor' you mentioned, but assumed it to be similar to "Panthip Plaza". I may be totally wrong in that assumption, sorry wai.gif

My expectation on 'multi media conference systems' may be as much off as some of the die-hards here who talk about 'expensive mics just to be able to talk down on the NCPO.

BTW I don't know the location "Ban Mor' you mentioned, but assumed it to be similar to "Panthip Plaza". I may be totally wrong in that assumption, sorry wai.gif

Ban mor is more a district than a shopping center. It is a bit south of a Kaosan road.

It is the central Bangkok place for electronics parts and systems for repair shops and smaller constructors. Some large outlets for professional tools, manufacturers outlet stores, bulk parts jobbers, and some street side flea market stalls of parts and the like.

Walk along you can find 5 guys hand rewiring fly back transformers, then some guy building LED disco light parts. Then walk in some doors and find sound systems to make Carabao sound too loud for 10,000 people outside.

A total zoo, but fun.

• Like 2

Nah. You can't wait that long. Neither can anyone. There's not going to be an actual investigation. There's going to be a committee that will conclude EXACTLY as Gen Prayuth just ordered it to rule that it needs more time and more study because it can't find any evidence of intent to cheat, defraud, scam or commit graft. You don't have enough time on Earth to await any actual conclusion or closure.

In the mean time may I remind you that we're here talking about a multi-media conference system for a countries Cabinet Room. They might not feel the need to go to same levels of facilities and security as some other countries, but neither would it be correct to suggest they should buy some stuff in Panthip Plaza and get it to work. IMHO.

Incredible. You've missed every contentious point. Every one. I think you would be a great candidate for chairman of this coming whitewash committee, ready and willing to do the general's bidding Krap Pom.

There is little criticism of the quality of the refurbishment. If these dingbats think their work is so important they need gold-plated washroom faucets, fine. The problem is they are paying $5,000 an ounce for the gold.

The problem is that the agreed prices listed in the public documents of this scam are three to five times the list prices. If you don't think there's under-the-table kickbacks, you don't. But that's the only important point in the newspapers, on the air and in the streets - not that General Prime Minister Headman Chief Prayuth is using Rolls Royce equipment for a Toyota meeting room.

And in Pantip Plaza there is excellent, government-class equipment on hand or easy to order. It is in fact yet another source of the suspected kickback information - the ridiculous prices paid for last-generation TV sets.

• Like 1

Nah. You can't wait that long. Neither can anyone. There's not going to be an actual investigation. There's going to be a committee that will conclude EXACTLY as Gen Prayuth just ordered it to rule that it needs more time and more study because it can't find any evidence of intent to cheat, defraud, scam or commit graft. You don't have enough time on Earth to await any actual conclusion or closure.

Incredible. You've missed every contentious point. Every one. I think you would be a great candidate for chairman of this coming whitewash committee, ready and willing to do the general's bidding Krap Pom.

There is little criticism of the quality of the refurbishment. If these dingbats think their work is so important they need gold-plated washroom faucets, fine. The problem is they are paying $5,000 an ounce for the gold.

The problem is that the agreed prices listed in the public documents of this scam are three to five times the list prices. If you don't think there's under-the-table kickbacks, you don't. But that's the only important point in the newspapers, on the air and in the streets - not that General Prime Minister Headman Chief Prayuth is using Rolls Royce equipment for a Toyota meeting room.

And in Pantip Plaza there is excellent, government-class equipment on hand or easy to order. It is in fact yet another source of the suspected kickback information - the ridiculous prices paid for last-generation TV sets.

No need for an investigation you say? Public execution maybe, just to properly start a Monday morning?

May I remind you, we talk about the Cabinet Room of the Royal Thai Government. Mind you, I do wonder what PM D. Cameron has back in London, or maybe Chancellor A. Merkel in Berlin.